Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am looking at a 150K miles 2007 (built in 12/06) Fj Cruiser, 4WD automatic, locckin grear diff and A trac. Hes asking 15K for it.
Clolour and interior is exactly what I like...

It had a "minor" accident in the rear according to carfax. But it seemed to be fixed good.
in kick down, the transmission or rear differential did a slight humming sounds at really high rpm, which I read was...normal?

The car looked and drove so far really good, but i am a little concernded spending that much money on a car with already 150K miles on it.... Maybe because this will be my first Toyota, meaning my first real reliable car? Dont know.....

What are your thoughts on it snce you are all high miles boys and girls....

I will defenitly buy an FJ cruiser, just not sure if this is the one, or if I am clearly too excited :)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I think if you look around you can find one with lower miles. The rear diff or trans does`nt hum on my 07 JMO :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. So bascially you are saying other than the exhasut sound sounding nice and crisp there shouldnt any other sound get louder during kick down?

Thats definetly a tough point then... thought about having the car checked out by a mechanic but I am wodering ih he would find 'internal' issues like that...

I gues I sleep over it and decide tommorow. Too infected with the virus right now :)

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
All I know is mine does`nt make any sounds at all from the trans or rear diff it is silent even at 80mph+ . There are several threads around here I read about people having trans problems might be to lack of maint. I maint the hell out of mine so I don`t worry about mine if the one you are looking at was neglected it might be wise to pass on it JMO :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Pass on it and find one with lower miles even if you have to spend another 2 or 3 thousand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Agreed. Keep looking around. I got mine for 16. 2007 110xxx miles diff lock MT. It sounds like it may need work soon. Noises from back there are not good. And an accident?? Theres much nicer ones out there.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Pass on it.
Better spend a bit more on a lower mileage FJ and less on FJ repairs. (just my thought)
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would pass on that FJ. I've been looking for a older higher mileage FJ for a daily driver/ winter beater since my wife bought her 2014 FJ. I don't drive my other car in bad weather, and my current car is starting to get too unreliable to drive daily. For the price, there are lower mileage FJ's out there with less issues.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I say pass on it, or offer 8 and come up to 10 max.
I agree your with your estimate, that being said with the FJ out of production people seem to be swinging for the fence in terms of pricing lately. Prices went up, not down, since Toyota took them off their webpage. I think 11-14 retail is about right...9-12 private party would have been my guess.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
tough crowd...I think it is worth 12-13 all day long if its clean. Noise doesnt sound good though.

I too, would keep looking. They dont make these anymore so lower the mileage, the better.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
keep looking.. Do you have cash or are you financing? If your financing 15,000 good luck with the bank giving you all of it and a rate on a 8 year old vehicle with 150,000 miles with a 750 credit score is still going to be pretty high if at all possible..

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
It's making noises so it's not "clean". KBB says $9300 in "Fair" condition.
I would never buy anything with that many miles on it personally. Toyota or other.
Unless you're wanting a "beater".
I just surfed Craigslist and found a dozen that were better deals, just look around.

oh, and you should fill out your profile and list where you're located, so we don't think you're just trolling.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Got my '07 4x4 two years ago with 110k on it, and it was in awesome condition for $15k. Given that, I think you should be able to find better deals out there.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's making noises so it's not "clean". KBB says $9300 in "Fair" condition.
I would never buy anything with that many miles on it personally. Toyota or other.
Unless you're wanting a "beater".
I actually bought a 2001 4Runner for $4750. Had around 187,000 miles on it, sold it with 205k....Nothing went wrong while owning it. Of course it was a "beater" but the guy before me was a one owner. I thought I was crazy buying a rig with that amount of miles but it never let me down. Sure it had small stuff pop up but I would do it again. It actually turned into my daily driver while I was looking for my FJ. Sold it to a father looking for a SUV for his daughter for High School. They were happy with it since I put new tires on it within the last year and it was a 4x4...worked as it should.

Big difference between 5K and 15 though...You are on the verge late model cars in the 15K range...If that's all you have to spend I would wait and save a bit more for a downpayment to extend your purchasing power.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Geography plays a big role in pricing a vehicle and you spelled out "colour" in your description. Where are you located, OP?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, thats pretty much what I was hoping fore regarding the range. Looks like I ll look at one with 108.000 miles for around 16K this week.

Just to get this right.... the comment about `needing some work soon' was related to the one I checked out earlier, right? Not about the one you have ?!?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts