Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Humming could be tire related. Worn out ATs on it?
Nope, tires were like new and only when in kick down it did the humming sound. Almost sounded like an electric motor... pretty high pitch.... Anyways, i passed it like everyone recommended! Thanks to everybody for all those answers. Will look more around the 100K mark.

I ll update my profile so you guys know where i am from. Not just trolling. Seriously looking into getting one. Just need to find the right one first.

:nerd

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Geography plays a big role in pricing a vehicle and you spelled out "colour" in your description. Where are you located, OP?
The color was gray, but I am not too picky, since toys can have toy colors.

I am located in Michigan..... RUST state :wink

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just for your reference i JUST JUST bought my 07 very clean with 97,000 miles for $15 out the door (tax title lic included) I did make the dealer feel like he should have never been born, but I'm very happy with what I paid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
on my journey of looking for used FJ....:

Just for your reference i JUST JUST bought my 07 very clean with 97,000 miles for $15 out the door (tax title lic included) I did make the dealer feel like he should have never been born, but I'm very happy with what I paid.
Thanks for the info man. I am still looking around and actually looked at one yesterday. How bad is yours underneath. You being from Chicago, I would guess yours should look not much better than the ones in Michigan, right?

Does anybody know it the sheetmetal behind the plastic skid plate is a structural part? The one I looked at yesterday had that one pretty much rusted through. Would need to know since it looked to me like it was important as it holds the radiator. I attached a pic. Please let me know if you have an idea.

The other thing I relaised at home, looking at the pictures, some hose seems to be taped weird. will show that on a second pic.

All in all it seemed ok, but definetly a ride that needs some work soon.

Looking forward to your guys input.

thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: on my journey of looking for used FJ....:

Thanks for the info man. I am still looking around and actually looked at one yesterday. How bad is yours underneath. You being from Chicago, I would guess yours should look not much better than the ones in Michigan, right?

Does anybody know it the sheetmetal behind the plastic skid plate is a structural part? The one I looked at yesterday had that one pretty much rusted through. Would need to know since it looked to me like it was important as it holds the radiator. I attached a pic. Please let me know if you have an idea.

The other thing I relaised at home, looking at the pictures, some hose seems to be taped weird. will show that on a second pic.

thanks!!!
That looks terrible terrible terrible compared to mine

·
Registered
4,390 Posts

thanks!!!

Please do not get this!!! I am from Canada, and here these things rust, but that one is just crazy. Please take pictures of the undersides of any you are going to look at. My Dad's recently purchased GX470 has a lot of rust, but looks great compared to that! I hope you find a FJ, but remember that the white ones are the best.:)

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

HAHA, you are right. White ones ARE the best :)

unfortunately I cant really go by color being on a budget and not seing a lot FJs out there.

I am still looking though.....

·
Premium Member
122 Posts

Save a few hundred take a vacation out in the northwest and buy one without rust.
I grew up in the midwest and would never buy a vehicle of that age from the "salt states".
Especially the one in the pictures.
Be patient and good luck.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I have maintained mine with a bit of undercoat a couple times a year, but here it is in November. If you find one that has been cared for, it shouldn't look to much worse than this. ImageUploadedByAG Free1424755093.474756.jpg

Mine is only a 2010, but I hope it gives you a bit of a better idea...

All the best!
Matt

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Yes do your self a favor and go out of State if your selection choices look like the rust bucket pictures you posted. I am like Matt from Canada, lots of winter, lots of wet salted roads, mine is two years older than Matts and looks as good... There is no need for any vehicle to look like the one shown. People don't know or are to lazy to spend three minutes at a "You Do" car wash and wash the underside of their vehicles, it does not have to be a lot of work, just keep the salt from staying in constant contact undiluted.
Good luck.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Yes do your self a favor and go out of State if your selection choices look like the rust bucket pictures you posted. I am like Matt from Canada, lots of winter, lots of wet salted roads, mine is two years older than Matts and looks as good... There is no need for any vehicle to look like the one shown. People don't know or are to lazy to spend three minutes at a "You Do" car wash and wash the underside of their vehicles, it does not have to be a lot of work, just keep the salt from staying in constant contact undiluted.
Good luck.
A person could park it in the driveway and away from the lawn and put a sprinkler under it for a few minutes in a couple places if nothing else. Set it and forget it. That will wash down the undercarriage good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey Guys, thanks for all you answers!!! that helped a LOT!!!!

I moved on and am currently debating on getting one I just drove .... looking MUCH better underneath and was importetd from pensilvania. I guess thats a lot better already, at least it looks MUCH better...

I ll keep you guys posted once I purchased one!

Cant wait!!!!

·
Registered
4,390 Posts

I moved on and am currently debating on getting one I just drove .... looking MUCH better underneath and was importetd from pensilvania. I guess thats a lot better already, at least it looks MUCH better...

Cant wait!!!!

Any pics of this new one? Underside as well?

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
View attachment 418714 View attachment 418722 View attachment 418730 View attachment 418738 View attachment 418746 View attachment 418754 View attachment 418762

Dealer stealer. He might have painted the underbody. I guess that wouldn't be too bad though, right? Let me know what you guys think.

Couldn't find anything not working on the car so far.

Looks a ton better than the last one!
I do have a few comments though.
It looks to be missing the front skid plate... Is that on purpose to see the rust?
Looks like someone tried and failed with some undercoat. If you look at the diff pumpkin, you can see where it looks like it was sprayed.

I'm not saying that that is bad, just something to be aware of.
Doesn't have any structural rust, guys from some states would freak, but I have gotten used to rust. My dad just bought a Gx with about this much.

What I would recommend, is buying some kind of undercoat, and spraying as much of the frame as you can. Then, find a private shop that does undercoated, and spend a couple hundred having that done. I will look closer at the pics, and see if I had anything else to add.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
898 Posts
Think you made a wise decision to pass on that first one! Would do BOTH a CarFax and AutoChek on any vehicle I was considering whether from dealer or individual. AutoChek seems to sometimes pick up things that CarFax does not! Since you have VIN for checking either, go to any Toyota dealer and have it run through maintainance DB for service history, which most do while under warranty. Separate db, I think for warranty work and would check that, as well. Even if vehicle is out of state, you can still do this. Lastly, if you want the vehicle and a price is agreed upon, make sale conditional upon taking it to a Toyota dealer to do 144 point inspection that includes looking for "codes". You contact the service mgr yourself and arrange and pay for inspection yourself, so they are working for you, not seller. If all is well, you likely will have a good vehicle. Even better if seller has all service records, indicating a more conscientious owner!

·
Registered
245 Posts

Cant wait!!!!
Imported from Pennsylvania is a huge warning, not a good thing. PA has the heaviest road salting schedule in the US. Vehicles there rot faster than anywhere else. Pictures look like it was heavily painted. Imported from Pennsylvania = Couldn't be sold in Pennsylvania.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts