Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Well, after 13 wonderful years with my 07 Cruiser, I have to say goodbye. When I purchased the FJ it was to be for use at my retirement home in Mexico. It has been a perfect match for use here. Alas, after all this time, Mexico has declared that I can no longer live here on a temporary visa. I was allowed to do a temporary importation of the FJ and as long as I kept the temp visa, all was good. Now I am told that I will have to convert to a permanent visa and since the FJ is not a NAFTA vehicle, I cannot own it here anymore. What a mess, probably blowback from current US immigration policy (sic). Nevertheless, I need to find a site where I can advertise the FJ for sale. I don’t have much time. My visa renewal comes up March 1, 2020. HELP, anyone have a reference for me. THX, Doug

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Sorry to hear of the terrible news Doug. Hope you can get a good price for the FJ. Will you get a Hilux in Mexico?

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Man that sucks. Can you keep registration to a US address and keep the FJ whilst living in Mexico?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear of the terrible news Doug. Hope you can get a good price for the FJ. Will you get a Hilux in Mexico?
Thanks for your response. I doubt that I will stay with that type of vehicle. I am 75 years old and just don’ have the will to do the work. I still have my trusty 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has 252,798 miles on it and still purrs like a kitten and goes wherever I ask it to. Sort of like me. Maybe i’ll get buried in it!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man that sucks. Can you keep registration to a US address and keep the FJ whilst living in Mexico?
Hi, thanks for your reply. No, that won’t happen. In Mexico it’s all about VIN. When I speak about NAFTA vehicles, I mean vehicles manufactured in Mexico under NAFTA rules. You can purchase a car in the US that was made in Mexico and that will import with little or no hassle. My FJ, sadly, has the dreaded J in the front of the VIN. That’s a no no! Actually I don’t think any FJs were manufactured in Mexico. Toyota was a late bloomer in the NAFTA program here and when they did join, they made mostly daily driver, over the road lead sleds. Such is life!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts