Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous post, I discussed getting a modern aftermarket head unit with Apple Carplay etc. Everything points to needing to update the speakers and run a 4 or 5 channel amp to do this update properly. I will get to my dilemma with the factory sub in a minute.

All this is quickly getting more expensive than I had hoped. Here is what I'm starting out with. 2008 FJ with FJammer/9 speaker system. I was never unhappy with the sound of the system, however trying to integrate all of our modern smart devices, cameras, handsfree etc. etc. with the FJammer is a pain in the a..

Here is where I'm going equipment wise and hopefully someone can tell me if this is possible. I want to keep the factory sub box using the following equipment. Pioneer AVH-2550NEX, Kenwood Excelon 6x9 components for Toyota KFC-XP6902C, Idatalink Maestro RR + harness, Pioneer amp either 4 or 5 channel d class. Is there a way to run the factory sub using aftermarket Pioneer head unit + 4 channel amp? Is it possible to use the speaker level amp output on the Pioneer head unit to feed signal to the factory sub? Or do the speaker outputs on the head unit turn off when you plug into the preamp level outposts? Sorry if this is a dumb question. The factory sub sounds fine to me and would really like to avoid spending another $400-800 on a JL box etc. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
828 Posts
You can turn the speaker level outputs on the Pioneer decks on/off regardless of the RCAs. I'm not familiar with the OEM sub, or what it requires for input, i'm assuming its speaker level input from the factory deck?

A 5 channel amp would be ideal, check out the Pioneer GM-D9705, they're a deal at $200ish. You could also use a 4 channel amp with a passive cross over for the fronts(dash/door), and bridge the rear channel for the sub but this adds complexity. Those Kenwoods you linked need a little more juice than the deck puts out otherwise I'd say just run the dash off the deck.

I don't see any reason to drop huge bucks on a sub, or really putting anything that substantial back there unless you're trying to be heard down the street, entering SPL competions, distrubing low flying aircraft, etc. I'm running a little Alpine type R 8" on 350W. It's plenty powerful enough to rattle stuff and barely any bigger than the OEM sub.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can turn the speaker level outputs on the Pioneer decks on/off regardless of the RCAs. I'm not familiar with the OEM sub, or what it requires for input, i'm assuming its speaker level input from the factory deck?

A 5 channel amp would be ideal, check out the Pioneer GM-D9705, they're a deal at $200ish. You could also use a 4 channel amp with a passive cross over for the fronts(dash/door), and bridge the rear channel for the sub but this adds complexity. Those Kenwoods you linked need a little more juice than the deck puts out otherwise I'd say just run the dash off the deck.

I don't see any reason to drop huge bucks on a sub, or really putting anything that substantial back there unless you're trying to be heard down the street, entering SPL competions, distrubing low flying aircraft, etc. I'm running a little Alpine type R 8" on 350W. It's plenty powerful enough to rattle stuff and barely any bigger than the OEM sub.
It is my understanding that the 08 factory sub gets it signal off the rear channel of the FJammer. The factory sub has its own dedicated amplifier. You are correct about the Kenwood 6x9 component speakers needing more power. I fully intend to drive them and the rear pillar speakers with a separate 4 channel amp. This why I asked how I would go about getting an audio signal to the factory subs dedicated amp. I know this sounds like I'm cutting corners but I would like to try and use what I have it all possible. I also like OEM look of the factory sub enclosure.

I guess another way I could do this is to buy a 5 channel amp (Pioneer GM-DV975) and rip out the subs amp and replace the driver with a more robust 8" driver from JBL,Alpine,JL etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
828 Posts
I bet if you went though the effort to use the factory sub/amp you would end up wanting to upgrade it. Even more so since your fronts are going to be putting up more punch. You can easily hack the stock sub enclosure, but if you have lofty goals just ditch it for a proper box. I stuck mine on the driver side so I can use the little cubby for 1st aid. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
bibbt is correct, you don't have to do anything to use the factory sub, as it gets its signal from the speaker wires.

All you have to do is make sure the blue (or is it the blue with a white stripe?) wire provides power to the sub when the unit is turned on, and then hook up the 4 speakers normally. Your factory sub will work just fine.

This is how I did it to my '08.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bibbt is correct, you don't have to do anything to use the factory sub, as it gets its signal from the speaker wires.

All you have to do is make sure the blue (or is it the blue with a white stripe?) wire provides power to the sub when the unit is turned on, and then hook up the 4 speakers normally. Your factory sub will work just fine.

This is how I did it to my '08.
So even though I plan to amp my new speakers and Pioneer aftermarket head unit can I use the rear speaker level output from my new head unit to send signal to the factory sub? Sorry , Im probably not doing a very good job of conveying what I'm trying to do. Heres another question... Does the factory sub get the audio signal off the speaker harness somewhere in the rear of the vehicle? If so, as long as I'm sending audio through the factory speaker wires to the rear, would it be safe to say that the sub wouldn't care where the audio signal was originating from? Whether it be speaker level from an amp or speaker level from my head unit. Hopefully someone can tell me, otherwise I guess I'll just have to tear into it and see what works.... On the other hand I just remembered I have all the factory workshop manuals. I'll have to looking see if there is a schematic of the 9 speaker audio system.

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts