Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pros and cons of using say an Interco Super Swamper Bogger as a spare(or really any super aggressive Mud Terrain). When one gets to the trail head, change one tire out for the Bogger. and the others would be still be say Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (or any other All terrain tire). The Bogger would be the same size as the all terrains. Maybe mount the Bogger in the rear on the wheel that has torque when locker is not engaged.
Anyone do this or have any thoughts/suggestions?

Hopefully this makes sense.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish here? Is there a specific issue you've experience that makes you want a different tire on one corner? What advantage do you see over a matching set of tires?

Locked diffs make power flow through everywhere equally, so a wheel won't spin unless they both lose traction. In theory, it might help if both rear wheels would be spinning if they were AT, but the MT tire hooks up and keeps power going to the ground instead. This is a VERY specific scenario though.

It sounds like you want more traction without the compromise of aggressive tires on road. Personally, I'd prefer (and do use) a tire that is the right degree of compromise between off and on road traction for your specific tastes. I went with an MT tire that is ok on road and very good off road (previous tires were very compromised on road and fantastic off).

Alternatively, you can run a set of trail tires and a set of DD tires. Either bring your trail set with you and swap at the trail head or throw them on before you leave for the trail and take them off when you get back.

Ultimately, it's your rig. Be sure to let us know how it goes if you try it! Maybe you've stumbled on the next big trend here.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Absolutely give it a try and write it up. Keep track of time to change, type of terrain, air pressure. I don't know how you determine what arrangement works best for traction or maybe handling. You will figure it after a while. Maybe if you are within cell service you could post live as you test and answer questions. People may post and say your crazy for thinking out of the box. Ask them if they ever tried it. Don't let anyone steer you wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Seems silly. Spending an extra 5-10 minutes working before and after wheeling. Moving heavy tires around and they will be muddy when you're done.

The other downside is what happens when you are on a road trip and need to swap to the super swamper on the interstate and travel at 75 MPH for 3 hours? Not gonna happen.

Its your FJ and you know what you do with it, it wouldn't work for me.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
A open diff does not work like that . the side with the least traction will be spinning . Is there a reason you do not want to press the diff lock button ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts