Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 FJ with 79K miles. It is a 2 wheel dr with automatic transmission.
I drive a lot on the coast hwy here in N.Calif. I like to use the automatic like a stick shift when slowing and recovering from a sharp corner. Imagine doing 60 and slowing down to about 40 and shifting it down to 4 then 3 as the engine helps slow the car down. Then accelerating away in 3 and shifting up as speed and road permit. It saves the brakes and is a fast way to travel on a winding road. I'm not talking about doing 60 and then pulling it down into 4th or abusing the transmission. I know the engine has "intuitive" shifting which does the same thing only not as effectively. My question is is this abusive to the transmission?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I lived in Trinity County, I shifted all the time in the hills to help control my speed.
I've wondered what you're asking a couple times, every time of searched, it seems like the guys with a lot of miles say, shift away, no problem.
You're probably calling it at a better point than the CPU so I would say you're lugging less & helping more.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wouldn't worry about it as long as your not downshifting into a gear you wouldn't normally do in a manual. Engine braking is a good tool to utilize. We have a 3 mile hill and unless you enjoy the thrills of brake fade you have to

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wouldn't worry about it as long as your not downshifting into a gear you wouldn't normally do in a manual. Engine braking is a good tool to utilize. We have a 3 mile hill and unless you enjoy the thrills of brake fade you have to
These transmissions are of a conventional style not the Model T CVT types that everything is using now. The CVTs are cheap to make and expensive to replace. Swear to God they are a variable speed belt just like Henry Ford used in the Model T, The FJ transmission is like a Turbo Hydro. In the old days they would take these and do some magic to allow you to select and hold what ever gear you wanted. "Stick Hydro" was the name. If you want to wreck an automatic, put it in neutral rev it up and then pull it into drive. It eats up the smaller clutch plates that are used on the lower gears. FJQue: What you describe is exactly what I do. I love my FJ, It is the only car I've ever known that has enough head room for me. Beyond that, it drives like an Impala. I drove vans at work for decades so using the mirrors is easy and safe for me. My 2WD has the locking rear end and backing up warning units.. I've never stuck it and I still get many women that just love the vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts