Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my first road trip in my FJ this week - headed to Baltimore and DC from Indiana for a wedding and some sight-seeing. Two friends are riding along on the ten-hour trip.

We may take advantage of the electric outlet in the FJ. This will be my first time using it. I would imagine it would be for charging phones/tablets - nothing too intense. Having not used the electrical outlet before, I'm looking for any guidance/suggestions on things to be aware of and consider.

Any help is appreciated!

Jim

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
I use a 90 degree plug at the outlet so that the cord doesn't interfere with any cargo I might have. Especially when going camping.

The power output of the inverter is 400 watts when not driving/ not in gear. Then it drops to 100 watts while driving. Plenty to charge devices.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a 90 degree plug at the outlet so that the cord doesn't interfere with any cargo I might have. Especially when going camping.

The power output of the inverter is 400 watts when not driving/ not in gear. Then it drops to 100 watts while driving. Plenty to charge devices.

Great - thank you for the help!

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
And a follow up.

If what you want to charge is via a USB cable I use an adapter that goes in the 12 volt acc outlet in the center of the switch panel. Also many people install a USB outlet that replaces a switch blank.

When camping I use the inverter to power the air pump for inflating my mattress.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And a follow up.

If what you want to charge is via a USB cable I use an adapter that goes in the 12 volt acc outlet in the center of the switch panel. Also many people install a USB outlet that replaces a switch blank.

When camping I use the inverter to power the air pump for inflating my mattress.
I have a USB adapter that I plug in to the cigarette lighter (is it still called that anymore??). However, I bought an FM Bluetooth transmitter, which takes that slot. At some point I need to update things, but it will work for now.

Thanks all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts