Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Maybe this has been covered, but...

On the 2010, it appears the camera *AND* ceiling speakers are routed through the same connector under the driver's kick panel. I couldn't find the connector as described for the earlier models for the ceiling speakers, but found one in the same location with all the correct color wires for the parking camera and roof speakers. I disconnected it...ceiling speakers wen't quiet and the backup camera would not turn on. Plugged it back in, and it was back to normal.

This is good news for me because I don't want to have to run any wires behind the mirror, just seems like a PITA.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Yup, that looks like the connector I found as well. As for the stereo harness, yes, it's the same, at least through 2010. I'd be really surprised if Toyota changed it for 2011.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Well I did this tonight.. and Took Pictures of where to access these wires in the kick panel. (please read my notes, not just pictures, first time through, I connected the wrong wires)

Things that you will need to do the Job.
3 each, 20 awg wire taps.
1 each, 8-10 foot RCA or Video Cable
Electrical tape and solder.

The Harness is located in the Drivers Kick Panel. Pull the Dead pedal, door sill threshold and kick panel cover off.

Here is what you will see, In this picture I already took off the factory covering to expose wires.

Next Disconnect the connector.

Locate Wires that are needed.

The Red with the grey random marks on it is the + of the Video Feed
The White with the Grey random marks on it is the - Video Feed
The Red with yellow strip is the switch wire or signal wire.

(in this picture, the solid red and white on the left is NOT THE CORRECT WIRES, My first time through I tapped these wires and they are not correct. They don't have any random gray markings on them)

Here are my taps installed, AGAIN, the SOLID WHITE AND RED Wires on the left are not correct, you need to access the ones that are on the top row Position 2 and 3 from the right

Here is a single side of an RCA cable that I have spliced out. The center sheathed wire on the RCA is the + wire, connect that to the red wire with random gray markings.

And here is the finished Job.
It took me 2 hrs to wire everything up, install the radio and run the GPS / BT Mic And I pod connector to the dash Pocket.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the camera better visibility in the back so we can have a whole screen worth of information. yes, its 3:30 am.. im off to bed!

I hope this helps people figure this out and get it done right cause it works and its sweet!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Nicely done.

Bookmarked for future reference!...

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Just a little illustration I whipped up, which may or may not help. The wires with electrical tape are the speaker wires for the ceiling speakers.

-Matt

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am not sure why disconnecting the power lead to the mirror shuts off power to the camera itself. Is there a way to disconnect the monitor in the rearview altogether without the 3 second blue screen? I would prefer to have it off altogether if I can.

Thanks for all of your help on this - going to tackle this on the next warm day around here.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Bookmark. Tx for the info!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I had the same view from my camera I was thinking I'd need a better camera/position and realized that the camera hole in the factory tire cover was cropping the the image. After making sure the cover was centered as best I could I trimmed the outside edges of the cover and it made a huge difference in the picture.:bigthumb:Thanks to all for the great info & pix!

·
Registered
334 Posts
FWIW, after doing all the work to get this hooked up I ended up not even liking the image to be on the radio screen. Somehow the little mirror monitor works just as well and feels more in tune with backing up, that is looking at the mirror! Looking at the radio somehow feels like I am backing up more blindly, so in the end I disconnected the auto-switching feature on my radio. I have the option to use the radio screen for the back-up cam if I want it, but so far I have not.

Just thought I would toss that out for anyone who feels they HAVE to do this mod. If you are doing the Brady Bunch back-up to an egg on a cone thing then maybe the larger image will be helpful, but otherwise it does not seem to aid backing up any more than the mirror image to me...

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I did this mod last weekend and love it. I have a Pioneer Z120BT and I want to install a switch to the reverse trigger. I tried tapping into the Head unit’s power lead and it works but it also makes the Reverse LED on the dash light and the beeper for the parking assist come on. It's powering up the system in a backwards way and I don't want to fry anything. Does anybody know what the reverse trigger voltage is supposed to be? If it's less than 12 volts any recommendations on where I should source the power?
Thanks!
Andy

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Hi guys,

I followed this thread, and after hooking up my new Pioneer AVH-P3300BT head unit in my 2011, I figured why not tap into the factory feeds from the OEM camera while I was at it.

Problem is, the connector behind the drivers kick panel that was used in this doesn't have the same wire configuration. Some colors are different and it is not readily apparent which lines to tap for the (+) and (-) wires or the reverse switch feed. Looks like they may have changed up things for the 2011+ models.

Anyone run across this and can share? I have no real desire to tap into the wiring up at the mirror. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have tried both methods (mirror and kickpanel) and only the mirror connection worked for me. I have the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD and had to connect the center shielded wire from the RCA to the White and the unshielded to the Red. The only other colors associated to the camera are a Solid Orange and Solid Black. The other cables on the harness are separated and appear to be for the ceiling speakers.
When I switch into Reverse- the HU switches over as needed and if I go to the Sources and select the Backup camera- it switches. The only problem I am having is the HU will switch to the Camera View if I am not using the display. If I touch the display- it returns to the Source (Radio,IPod, etc).
I tried changing the Polarity setting and that had no affect.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have tried both methods (mirror and kickpanel) and only the mirror connection worked for me. I have the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD and had to connect the center shielded wire from the RCA to the White and the unshielded to the Red. The only other colors associated to the camera are a Solid Orange and Solid Black. The other cables on the harness are separated and appear to be for the ceiling speakers.
When I switch into Reverse- the HU switches over as needed and if I go to the Sources and select the Backup camera- it switches. The only problem I am having is the HU will switch to the Camera View if I am not using the display. If I touch the display- it returns to the Source (Radio,IPod, etc).
I tried changing the Polarity setting and that had no affect.
Any suggestions?
akasigfeak, did you find out the fix for the HU displaying the rear camera view it you are not using the display? I have same issue on P4400BH.

UPDATE: I was able to get the video work, I had a loose connection on the RCA cable. However the video on the HU is showing in B&W and not Color? What would cause the video to not appear in color?

Anyone have any ideas on why the display would be in Black and White and not Color?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have been wanting to do this for quite a while and Im just getting around to it. I have an RCA audio cable that I had laying around. I cut it open and I have 3 wires inside. A red, a white , and an unshielded. Does anyone know which ones i need to tap in to which wires?

Also, I am wanting to turn on my head unit when towing things. Does anyone know how i can set up a switch that will turn on just my head unit on demand?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2014 Australian build FJ cruiser, even though it came with a Fujitsu Ten AVN head unit, the backup camera was still in the rear view mirror.

I wanted to connect the video to the head unit and have both the Mirror and HU display while in reverse.
I tapped into the video signal at the left kick panel, also had to tap into the Reverse signal at the same connector if you look on a schematic the connector is tagged RE-2 video positive is pin 8, negative is 7. The reverse signal can be found on the same RE-2 connector on pin 16.

The reverse signal provides +12VDC when in reverse, you could simply supply 12VDC through a switch if you wanted to turn it on manually, or use a single pole double throw switch and supply the reverse signal on the other throw if you wanted Auto/Manual control of the HU Cam display.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Below is a picture of the RE-2 connector behind the left side kick panel. Note that this is a Right hand drive FJ so YMMV on this information. I have used US build schematics for this mod and for the most part they match the Australian build except for the flux capacitor circuitry and hover engine that come standard in the OZ build.>:D

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well I did this tonight.. and Took Pictures of where to access these wires in the kick panel. (please read my notes, not just pictures, first time through, I connected the wrong wires)

Things that you will need to do the Job.
3 each, 20 awg wire taps.
1 each, 8-10 foot RCA or Video Cable
Electrical tape and solder.

The Harness is located in the Drivers Kick Panel. Pull the Dead pedal, door sill threshold and kick panel cover off.

Here is what you will see, In this picture I already took off the factory covering to expose wires.

Next Disconnect the connector.

Locate Wires that are needed.

(in this picture, the solid red and white on the left is NOT THE CORRECT WIRES, My first time through I tapped these wires and they are not correct. They don't have any random gray markings on them)

Here are my taps installed, AGAIN, the SOLID WHITE AND RED Wires on the left are not correct, you need to access the ones that are on the top row Position 2 and 3 from the right

Here is a single side of an RCA cable that I have spliced out. The center sheathed wire on the RCA is the + wire, connect that to the red wire with random gray markings.

And here is the finished Job.
It took me 2 hrs to wire everything up, install the radio and run the GPS / BT Mic And I pod connector to the dash Pocket.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the camera better visibility in the back so we can have a whole screen worth of information. yes, its 3:30 am.. im off to bed!

I hope this helps people figure this out and get it done right cause it works and its sweet!
I know this is an old thread but I tired doing this today with my Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS. My wiring harness in my 2012 TT kick panel seemed to be a little different then pictured in this thread but I was able to tap into what i thought were the correct wires using this description.

Got everything wired up, went to turn the head-unit on and I am not getting any power at all in the radio. I used the test light to check all my connections on the wiring harness behind the radio and it seems that its getting power. Also the fuse on the head-unit is not blown. Is it possible I shorted out the head-unit taping into the wrong wires in the kick panel....Or possibly I cut one of those three wires when trying to tap into them? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2012 TT..specifically the kick panel area? I would like to know exactly what wires I tried to tap into.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts