Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages for a run on either the 14th or 15th? Let me know what everyone's preference is and we'll figure it out. I'm checking out road reports with this warmer rain and weather so maybe we'll get luck and be able to hit something in the mountains. If not there are some very interesting old outposts from the Pony Express and gold mining operations out in the West Desert around Tooele. I'll come up with a few options. I've got some definite spots to hit in the Uintas but it will be in July before we can get to those.

Scott

·
Registered
468 Posts
The 14th would likely be best for me as well for the same reasons...

Perhaps a Pony Express run that ended up at Little Moab to play around on the rock?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ill prob miss the sat run, as much as I have been looking forward to another run I just cant make this sat due to work. If anyone else want to make somthing happen on sunday Im game.

·
Registered
613 Posts
One thing I wanted to add... anybody who hasn't gotten the book "Utah Byways" by Tony Huegel... you may want to check it out. I just got it from Amazon and it has 65 different trips through Utah's Backcountry. I've been reading it for the last couple of days and it is a really well written book.

It is spiral bound and it lists all of the important info including GPS coordinates for different adventures we could take as a group. Just throwing it out there for anybody who is interested.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I spoke with Tony at the Off-Road Expo. He said he would be willing to do a group buy for the "Utah club" if we are interested. I believe I still have his contact if if anyone would like me to pursue it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It is totally worth it dlister. Did you get a copy of it when you met him? I would buy an extra one just to support the cause. Tony went above and beyond and created a fantastic book. I will be keeping one in my glove box as a resource and then I'll keep one on my bookshelf for reading at home.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If I can walk then I should be there. My back is so fouled up that I haven't even cracked 300 miles on my FJ yet. Pathetic!

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haven't forgotton everyone. Had a bit of a scouting expedition on Sunday. I'll post pics over in the trail report section. The west desert has some promise, it was fun but is just a bit tedious. I've been trying to map out some old jeep trails, but unless you head behind the salt lake the teritory is mostly long runs across open desert to very short scenic passes, then more desert. I figure if I can get a couple of actual jeep routes off the dirt roads it would make a trip worth it. If not, it's the end of the month soonest for even American Fork.

·
Registered
142 Posts
:bump: Anyone wanna say we're set on a date or a location? It seems that the 14th is the date most in demand, and the only location I've seen is Little Moab or Pony Express run.

I'm already on the south end of Utah Lake, so Little Moab would work great for me, but I'm willing to drive just about anywhere.

Either way, let's just get together and get out there... :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm down for something fun Pete. You pick the place and tell me where to go. I can bring my books I just got and maybe we can tentatively pick a future ride out for the group or scout one out. Or you can meet me here at my place and we can work our way over to AF Canyon and goof around up there, or I am just about 2 miles out of Provo Canyon if you want to head that direction.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Little Moab or American Fork Canyon would work fine with me on Saturday. I drove up AF canyon on Sunday and drove all the way to the Mary Ellen Gulch road without problem. I had the wife and kids with me, but they were sick of being jostled around in the FJ so we turned around.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Scott,

Have you ever tried driving from 5 mile pass to Little Moab via off-road or non-paved roads? I've been looking at some aerials and there are many dirt roads that wind around to Little Moab and can be approached from the west.

A potential trip this Saturday could be to drive to 5 mile, run constrictor, go take a look at Waynes World and/or Constrictor....(I doubt I can run them in my rig). Then we could drive down to little moab via the back way and play around on the rock for a bit.

Just a thought.

Kalen

1 - 20 of 51 Posts