Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a perfect day for a trail ride! The Utah Cruisers are a GREAT bunch of folks to wheel with. This run was an easy one but chock full of history and increadible scenery. I look forward to repeating this run.

Hats off to Moabrat once again for his outstanding leadership:bigthumb:

here are the pics from the day
Utah Cuisers trip around the Great Salt Lake

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
So glad everyone came along with us. We love this run and it's become an annual trek. Total miles are brutal for one day. 370 from front door to front door with 184 off road. Not a lot of time to stop and look at the wonderful old town sites where you can nearly feel the ghosts walk by. I mean, the land has literally reclaimed these sites. Some of these towns had thousands of residents, one being the second largest town in Utah with paved, tree lined streets, fountains, half a dozen hotels, dozens of saloons, etc., just amazing. Anyhow, here are just a few of my pics. For the rest and full size versions should anyone of our fellow adventurers want to download them just follow the Pics link in my signature line.

We start next to the Bonneville Speedway about 4 miles from the Nevada state line, we had seven FJs on this trip:

After 60 miles of both mud flats and low mountains and a real mix of terrain we come to Lucin. Now the cutoff for the railroad as it sets out across the Salt Lake. The cutoff spelled the end for 6 or 8 towns in the name of speed for the railroads. This marks the start of the Transcontinental Railroad trail-head, from here it's 90 miles of stuff that looks like pictures of Mars. Total desolation. It really gives one appreciation for the toughness of the Chinese men who laid the rail and the folks that were able to survive and even thrive along the route.

We blew past 3 towns on rail bed and over trestles that are well over 125 years old at speeds the old trains could only imagine. Some of the rail bed is thirty to forty feet above the surrounding terrain and is a real trip and test of skill to keep on at speed

Certainly gives one pause. We stopped for some time in Terrace to explore and feel the history.

A ghost siding, Terrace had a 16 engine shop and even more sidings

Now they are like desert bones

The old and the new. Figuratively walking on a graveyard

Then we all literally did as we paid respects to the townsfolk that are still here

The ground is strewn with signs of past life and vibrant activity as far as you care to walk and explore

This is KBJames out afield, he always got the furthest

Mike, his wife and son exploring, all a delight to meet

Sara, Kathie, and her mom downtown

We spent all our time in Terrace, the next 50 miles was a high speed, lol, blast to near the Promontory Summit. We made one stop for a tire change for Andy and Casey, in exactly the same spot and tire as last year. The odds are about a zillion to one against. Amazing! They were done in two years in a row by a 150 year old rail spike.

Delane and Son at the Summit, overlooking the Great Salt Lake

After evading a herd of black cows we stopped in a gorge made 150 years ago. It feels like you are the engineer of an old locomotive driving through these. Remarkable experience

View from the Summit

I think this was Kathie showing Sara how airborne she got on the way. Some of the rail bed is pretty rough and we followed three parallel tracks on either side for a while, high speed through the desert. Huge mile long plumes of dust behind us and bouncing really high and hard. I definitely saw Casey get air, I wish we had a chase plane with a a camera or video. It really reminded me of Baja Race footage.

Mr. and Mrs Rat would like to thank you all for trusting us through the unmarked and sometimes confusing terrain. It must have seemed pretty funny steering through all the cows, Junipers, and raw desert with crisscrossing tracks like a jigsaw. We'll do this one again soon and target another ghost town.

Until then, when it gets cooler in fall, I hope you'll all follow us up deep into the Uintas to find all sorts of memories and maybe some old Spanish mines.

Thanks again everyone for being such terrific friends!

Scott
Go Utah Cruisers!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Scott and Aj,

Great pics. I had a good time as well and love to explore.

Here is an aerial of that 2nd ghost town we stopped in. From this you can clearly see where that old engine house used to be.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Wow Scott, you really captured the essence of this trip along with ActionJackson!!

I don't think I have much to add in the realm of photography, but I will look through my pics later today and post up anything special. Devin and I had a great time. We also saw some neat wildlife, Golden Eagle, Antelope, Scared a jackrabbit on a bathroom break, and I think Casey said he saw a Argentavis Magnificens in the distance.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Man there were a lot of Antelopes. They look magnificent running at full speed. I was really afraid the one was going to run across the road at the wrong time and cause both his demise and heinous front end damage for one of us.
I feel bad. At the summit where we stopped I approached too quickly and a huge Golden Eagle flew off before Delane's son could admire him. I saw him off to the side, but didn't think he'd fly off as he looked pretty comfy. I guess the FJ just doesn't have a stealth mode button. I'm still surprised Delane didn't find a scorpion to pick up and show us all, animal planet style.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've attached a .kmz file in a Zip Folder that shows the "off-road" portion of the trip.

It starts at the Gas Station at Exit 4 on Hwy 80 just east of Wendover, NV and ends at the Golden Spike Museum in Promontory, UT. Most of the path we took is Gravel Road, although we did take an optional route up along a bench which worked its way thru several washes that at least had me putting er into 4 high every now and then. :rocker:

The ghost towns we passed thru are pretty much gone except for a few trees, old stumps, foundations, and holes where people have excavated. Following the old rail line is interesting, but just be sure to avoid the old RR spikes. Mr. Tibbs sure loves finding em though. :rofl:

Its a full day's ride from SLC and back but all had fun and no casulties...except a poked tire!! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I guess the FJ just doesn't have a stealth mode button
Sun Fussion = no stealth mode I dont think we could even sneak up on a dead man.

*tinkers in garage to work on cloaking device*

I had a great time. nice pics Scott. I dont think mine came out as well as yours. *note to self* put lens cap back on camera, trail dust causes dark pictures

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
M..a huge Golden Eagle flew off before Delane's son could admire him...
Hey we saw the Golden Eagle up close! He flew out of site then was back within a minute or so coming from the West right above us putting on quite a show! Great way to start the day. We did not get a good view of any antelope though. Those huge plumes of talcum pretty much gave us away.

I cleaned and oiled my K&N but my FJ is still caked in that white powder and mud.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Looks like you guys had a great trip, I wish I could have joined everyone for a run through the west desert. While you guys were having fun I was have a fun day at work...okay I lied it wasn't fun. When I left work however I was on I-80 heading to a friends house in Jeremy Ranch when I was passed by that idiot in the Subaru just before he caused that huge wreck in Parleys. I guess that would have to be my excitement for the day.

...and as far as the Uintas...still LOTS of snow up there...but it is coming down fast...Upper Provo at the Hailstone CG was flowing over 3000 cfs yesterday...that is the highest in 58 years!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was listening to an interview on the radio yesterday with one of the ski resorts, they think they can stay open well into july with all the snow they still have up there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts