Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I will be moving from a Tacoma to the FJ. I am trying to decide whether to keep the taco, or sell and get an small trailer for the occaissional run for plywood, drywall, etc.

My FJ should be in this Friday (can't wait) so don't have any experience yet with the rear visibility concerns that some folks have raised.

In short, has anyone else towed a small trailer, and was rear visibility sufficient. Trailer wont have parking sonar unfortunately ;)

Other issue is lift. If I go with a 3 inch kit, will the receiver be too high for a trailer?

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
And the fact that you can buy a drop down hitch to come out of your reciever. And I have pulled a small flatbed trailer about 10' long and it did great.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I pulled my little 4x8 folding trailer, I just needed a flag at the rear end of it so that I could locate it behind the FJ.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fast responses! Looks like trailer is viable option, just what I was hoping to hear. Flag is a great idea.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd keep the Taco, you don't mention year/version/value...but if possible I'd keep it. I still drive my taco for my everyday ride, the FJ is for special times.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I pulled a starcraft 10rt pop-up with no problems. couldn't see much out the rearview mirror but the side mirrors are great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I pull my 12 ft. aluminum utility trailer frequently with absolutley no problems whatsoever. I have a 6 sp. manual and there is plenty of power and a lot of fun to be quite frank.

·
Registered
565 Posts
on my old camping trailer I towed behind my Tj I used a couple of cheap 4ft. fiberglass CB antennaes (sp) , one on each rear corner with some small red marker lights attached to the top of each one. It really helped with visibility at night, especially out in the woods. Just jump off the trailer wiring and of course use the running light wire. you might could use some type of l.e.d. light that will serve the same purpose.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You will want to match up your trailer ball height as close as possible.
I found a 5 inch drop to be about perfect with 13" tires . Unfortunately they come in 4 or 6 inch drops. I got a 6 but forgot to take in the account of extra weight I put in the FJ. So a little too low. Better to ride low on the hitch then high though. What bothered me with the FJ towing was it was a bit squirrelly at high speeds on sharp curves in the mountains (on flat was fine). Towed same trailer with an Xterra with no problems so is it the extra height? or the new stability control throwing things off? Anyway I suggest easing the FJ and trailer combo from one lane to another rather than sharp lane changes. 2 or 3 inch addon curved mirrors placed on the side mirrors of the FJ help a lot with visability.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I pull a 5x8 with a large 4 wheeler and camping gear pretty frequently, no issues at all. My FJ is lifted 3 inches plus 34" tires....match the height of the ball so that the trailer is level or very slightly "up" angled and you will have no problems.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I pull my 17.5 boat from time to time. No issues yet

·
Registered
94 Posts
I pull a 10' utility box quite a bit with no problem. I went from T-100 pickup to the FJ and like the switch. With the AT you need to stay in 4th gear when towing. Rear visibility with any box trailer is going to be the same unless you get the 8' wide boxes, then you need wider mirrors. You simply match the the hitch ball assembly drop to the trailer and receiver height, making sure to have the trailer toungue end slightly lower than the rear.
One thing I would have done differently is get brakes. In a panic stop the trailer will push the truck around more than you will like. You have to drive much slower when pulling a ton or more behind you, if not, it's a matter of time before it catches up with you, literally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts