Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow North Carolinians! ...heading out to Uwharrie.

Camping out Friday (June 27th) night and hitting the trails early on Saturday. More info to be posted as we compile details about camping, meeting times & confirmed participants.

Post up if you're interested and we'll take it from there. :cheers:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gaaahhh! I can't believe I don't have any takers on this yet. Where's the love NC!?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man I'd love to go...however, it's my wife's bday. Don't think she'd be up for the camping trip.

It might be a little weak from some of the ONSC guys...there is a trip to VA that weekend that I missing as well! I'm sure not everyone is going so they'd be up for a local run.

Post up some pics when you get back!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
i would love to join, but i don't think i will be able to get out of the house with our newborn.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i would love to but so far have not saved cash to put on skids....just lift, tires and rock sliders so far. i promised wife I would not do anything but sand and mud until i get full skids..... then next fall are front and rear bumpers with winch.

this is murder...watching you guys. :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would love to but so far have not saved cash to put on skids....just lift, tires and rock sliders so far. i promised wife I would not do anything but sand and mud until i get full skids..... then next fall are front and rear bumpers with winch.

this is murder...watching you guys. :D
Well...there are a few rocks out there...but the green trails should be no problem with the lift & tires. I went out very early this season and ran the greens with just the stock TT (before lift). Got a little tiny eensy bit scratched up underneath, but it wasn't horrible. The sound was horrible, but the results weren't. If you're running bigger tires with a lift...plus taking into account the available "go-arounds", I wouldn't be worried. Then again...a promise is a promise. :stickpoke:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
NRAFJ - I have a training holiday that weekend. Should be off Fri-Sunday. Could drag a friend or ride solo. Doesn't matter as long as someone is out there on the trails. Who are you bringing? Been out there with some SC Cruiser people. Can you drive Uhwarrie at night? Would like to test out the lights. Stick to the light stuff, but have that added thrill level.

Wife shouldn't be down that weekend so I'll be as free as a bird.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As of right now, the confirmed count is 4 trucks. I know two of us are bringing our sons along, not sure about the other folks.

I understand that you can run at night. I probably wouldn't be up for it just yet, but I can find out from the rest of the crew what they think about a night run. Were you thinking Friday night or Saturday night?

In any case, we'd love to have you. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Damn I wish I could come..... I even have full roof lights for a night run. Anyways if anything changes I will keep you posted. We need to set a date for this fall when im back at school. Even mid August works. Have a great time if i cant make it. Oh!! and a stock FJ can run the trails with no problems.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hmm... might be a little while before I get the right lightbar solution. If Tuffy can deliver their's before the even that would be great.

Ultimately I want a full rack or baja style light bar at least.

EDIT: Just found this Off Road Unlimited one that USMC has. Looks good..... Trying to get Budbuilt (located in NC) skids before then too.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I will try and see if I can work something out and make it that weekend.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
.... Trying to get Budbuilt (located in NC) skids before then too.
I was JUST talking with Bud yesterday. SUPER guy. He actually keeps powder coated black skids in stock, ready to ship. Not sure if the other finish options are in stock as well. I was thinking about making a detour over to Lenoir also...but honestly, I think the additional gas cost would just about eat up the savings in shipping (~$50 for the 4-piece set). BTW...I asked a couple of the Trail Teams guys about skids and they pointed me to Bud. I thought that was a pretty good endorsement. If I experience a lapse in self control, I'll probably show up to Uwharrie with a set of these.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I'm ordering next week. Yeah I was surprised they keep them on hand. Getting the 5 piece. Since I didn't win the Lucrum LLS I looked around the site and found Off Road Unlimited had a baja style lightbar. I think this will be the best for offroading cause I hit a lot of stuff which could probably knock the lights right off. As far as my experience in less than favorable climates tell me, the LLS might not tolerate extended poor weather usage.

So 4 x 9" up top, two PIAA 1540s on the side and two more on the back. I think that should do it! Don't know if I'll have the whole setup done by Uhwarrie. Focus is on the skids.

My wife is bringing down the tent on Father's Day, but if it's just me going I think the FJ will suffice. A little battery powered fan and mosquito net. Put some custom cut egg crate + other stuff down.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
I was JUST talking with Bud yesterday. SUPER guy. He actually keeps powder coated black skids in stock, ready to ship. Not sure if the other finish options are in stock as well. I was thinking about making a detour over to Lenoir also...but honestly, I think the additional gas cost would just about eat up the savings in shipping (~$50 for the 4-piece set). BTW...I asked a couple of the Trail Teams guys about skids and they pointed me to Bud. I thought that was a pretty good endorsement. If I experience a lapse in self control, I'll probably show up to Uwharrie with a set of these.
Go for it, you won't regret the decision. Particularly if you get a nice puncture in your oil pan as someone else did last week or so.

Bud is a great guy, fun to talk with and its a worthwhile visit to his shop.

Who needs self control anyway...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts