Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, has anybody done or looked at swapping a V8 into an FJ? I am not very familiar with the Toyota Engine families, & didn't know if one of the I-Force V8's (4.6 or 5.7) are the "Big Brother" of the V6 in the FJ. I have two friends with Jeeps, one is a 2004 Rubicon with a 5.3 GM Vortec engine, & the other is a 2007 Unlimited 4 door Rubicon with a 6.1 Hemi-engine swap done by the dealer when he bought it. I haven't really researched it to much, but figured this would be the place to start.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I am a jeep guy. Those swaps are pretty straight forward. From what I gather, the Fj swaps are not. While it would be cool, I think it would be way more economical to supercharge and tune the heck out of the 4.0. If they ever offer one from the factory, you better believe I will have one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I keep asking the guys at work to do a 4.7 swap in my rig, they just laugh. I tell them, there are a few 4.7's that are scrapped because of minor defects and I would gladly volunteer my rig as a guinea pig for a swap. They think I'm joking. I'm sure I can find one person to crack.

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
With the stock block putting out 240hp / 280tq, adding a turbo or supercharger will just make you break parts faster. Unfortunately the days are gone of vehicles being overbuilt from the factory.

To answer your question, there are less than a handful of examples of V8's in FJC's running around out there, space is a big issue, the torque V8's produce even more so.

·
Registered
838 Posts
they actual built one with a 4.7 and brought it to the Summit a couple of years ago,
Sure looked pretty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts