Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
When I bought my Shelby GT500 in Aug 2009, had LoJack installed and paid in neighborhood of $350 as I recall: but never heard about 10 year battery and notification. Any more info on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
do you use one? how effective is it and do you recommend jeep tracking device?
I watched a video on you tube about a stolen Jeep and it was pretty awesome even though the Jeep was totaled they found it pretty quick.
Spytec's GL300MA is worth noting. It has a battery life of about two and a half weeks, 4G LTE coverage, geo-fence alerts, and customizable data and location summaries.
The service costs $ 24.95 per month, but you may need to purchase additional waterproof magnet cases and battery expansion boxes.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
"(re. LoJack) never heard about 10 year battery and notification. Any more info on this?"

Lo Jack are supposed to contact you each 2 years for a check up of the unit. If they haven't reached out to you, then I'd suggest you contact them. They temporarily disconnect its ground wire and run a diagnostic to check everything, including battery condition. It costs to have their technician come out and do it, but its probably worth it for the confirmation of the security.

Note that a LJ will only work for you AFTER you realize a vehicle is gone. Fine for a daily driver, but for something in storage, or only used on weekends, you may want a more active tracker. The great appeal of LJ is their success rate of getting cars back, but beyond a certain window of time it would be too late.

For geo-fencing, breadcrumb trails, movement alerts and things like that, most trackers plug into the OBDII port. But wouldn't that be the very first thing a thief these days would pull out and leave laying in the parking space they took the car from (as something plugged into the OBDII port would be quite obvious to anyone expecting to quickly look for something like that)? What good would it do you then?

For hidden trackers, places like Brickhouse Security sell tiny trackers with battery life that would require periodic removal and re-charging. They also can be hard wired, of course. They also have a kit that can provide a 6 month battery life without hard wire (handy for a car in storage, and to be swapped from vehicle to vehicle as needed).

Note that most trackers will require a monthly service (for your signal via satellite / cell phone and so on). Comparing those costs to Lo Jack makes just the LJ pretty appealing, but for a truly treasured possession, going for both covers more bases. That, plus a locked garage, of course, which is the #1 security plan, and good, agreed value insurance as the back up.

N

21 - 24 of 24 Posts