Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would be both a question on what vendors are typically at the Summit events, but more specifically, I am looking to replace my front bumper and was curious if anyone would know if ARB, Body Armor, etc. (either the manufacturer or reseller) will be there?

If so, is it possible to get any installation assistance at the 2011 Summit? Good deals?

Jason

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The only vendor that I saw doing any installs was Digger!!:clap::clap:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
There are others too, often done in motel parking lots, etc because of the high traffic and limited room around the HQ. I would contact a specific vendor and enquire in advance as they may be willing to haul something to you, but I would guess installation is not very likely for something like a bumper. It would take too much time from their other vendor sales.

Alan

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I can make the summit this year but I thought it would be cool maybe next year to do a suspension install demo for anyone who wants to see it (plus I could get some guys to help wrench on my truck). The only issue might be compressing the springs but I could get them set up before hand.

I had never done one before the OME I have on now and it was intimidating. Luckily I had my brother in law for backup. Maybe people would be interested in watching one go down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I thought the bumper swap was relatively easy at a couple of hours? The Body Armor installation guide says a something along these lines, unless you want to mount lights or a winch.

Skids are probably out as a lift would be needed, but I want to get my rig from being completely stock! Are there any good deals at the Summit for equipment, with the intent to install later?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I think most everything is discounted some, even a few freebies. Regarding the vendors time they really are quite limited because they too are out on trails most of the day so only have a few hours each evening and then there are parties to attend...

Everybody wants to have fun! :cheers:

Alan

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Demello and Metal Tech are usually there. You could certainly save some on shipping but you might have to do some arm twisting to get them to install for you as they're pretty busy.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Let me say this, vendors typically don't want to haul their wares home! You can get good deals at the summit, and you can see ALL the products. I would recommend not buying a bumper until you get there, then look around at the options.

Demello, MetalTech, Digger have all done installs at the event.

If they won't, I'm sure you can find people who will help you in exchange for beer.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Good point on the deals and the installation help, J. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
OK, I thought the bumper swap was relatively easy at a couple of hours? The Body Armor installation guide says a something along these lines, unless you want to mount lights or a winch.

Skids are probably out as a lift would be needed, but I want to get my rig from being completely stock! Are there any good deals at the Summit for equipment, with the intent to install later?
I find that they drastically underestimate installation time for your average joe. It seems like they give you the time it takes someone who has done it 5-10 times.

As far as intallation, you would have to live near where the vendor is. There are alot in California, Metaltech in Oregon and a few in Dallas.

There are certainly people that might help you out there; however, I would not count on it for a long install (like suspension and bumpers). Poeple want to come out there and have fun.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
The front bumper takes all of thirty minutes to put on once you get your old one off :D

The rear bumper takes about 2-3 hours cause you have to cut stuff.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts

Get ahold of Brad @ Riccochet. I know he is coming to Summit #5 and would probably bring you skids. A lift is NOT needed for skids--I installed all of mine laying under my FJ on my driveway. I would be happy to help you install them too--as long as they come from Brad! :)

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
X2 on the easy front bumper install.
I work at about a 3 wrench level (out of 10)
and I was able to swap out my bumper in under 2 hours by myself. (not including winch and lights).

·
Registered
549 Posts
X2 on the easy front bumper install.
I work at about a 3 wrench level (out of 10)
and I was able to swap out my bumper in under 2 hours by myself. (not including winch and lights).
x2 I am the same wrench level & just swapping the bumper took a little over 2 hours (for me and a buddy) & that was including the necessary grinding needed on the Body Armor to make it clear the AC line coupler on the 2010. The longest part was def. getting the old one off. The bushwacker flares I put on this thursday were a whole different story. Almost 5 hours later I finished up. The funniest part is their website states "Transform your vehicle in minutes, it’s never been easier!" By minutes they must mean 300+ minutes in my case, but it was well worth it. :rocker:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Probably isn't the right place to put this, but I was wondering since many people will be upgrading their equipment there, if those people are willing to sell their older equipment there. Or if anyone selling used products here in the forums plan on bringing them to the Summit, since most will not ship. Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sliders, roof rack, fender flares (doubt anyone will be giving up those...)... Pretty much anything at this point. :)

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Sliders, roof rack, fender flares (doubt anyone will be giving up those...)... Pretty much anything at this point. :)
Every year there is a swap meet at the summit, I'd make a separate thread that is more descriptive. You never know what people have that they will be willing to give up for a good deal if they don't have to ship them!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Brad....

SO I am looking (still haha) for the front skid with FJ cutout......ideally would like to get it on before Ouray...but if the deal needs to be st Summit let me know,....

Pricing?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts