Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,
I am looking for some vent visors for my FJ. I wanted some opinions on which is better, stick on or the in channel ones. I had the AVS stick on type on my 01 Blazer ZR2 and never had any problems but if I could get away without putting tape on my new FJ that sounds good too.

P.S. I read through all the other vent visor threads and this guy's post confused me:
"In channel AVS is what I installed and love them....fit tight...work great...and no sticky residue on paint or anything else. The snap in action holds in place and double side tape keeps them tight in channel......best style in my opinion."

It begins by saying he has the IN CHANNEL ones which I thought meant no sticky stuff, but then he says there's double sided tape.
Am I missing something? :simmadown:
I thought the AVS were the stick on ones and the weathertechs were the in channel no sticky stuff ones. Sorry for my confusion.

Thanks! Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
AVS makes both the in-channel and the stick-on types.

I personally went with the Weathertech because I didn't want to mess with the tape. The vinyl wrap around the windows was my main reason. If somehow I were to mess up, not only would I have to worry about replacing the tape, I'd likely have to worry about either re-wrapping the black vinyl, or removing it and hoping everything was fully painted underneath (I read in one of the posts about removing the vinyl that someone had a partially painted section).

I snapped them in about 15 months ago and haven't worried about them since.

Not sure how often you get down the corridor, but I'd be happy to let you inspect mine if you're in the area (I'm just southeast of Highway 7 & I-25).

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I forget who makes mine, but I have the in-channel style. No real problems. Only issue is once in a blue moon, when I go to roll my driver's side window up, it will catch on the edge of the visor and wont go up any further. If that happens I just roll the window down an inch and roll it back up. These were already on my FJ when I bought it, but I've had the FJ about a year, and I've had it catch maybe 3 times. Even that is pushing it.

In-Channel gets my vote.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
In-channel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks. So do the in channel ones have any sort of tape/adhesive or do they simply "snap" in place?
Ryan

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the AVS in-channel and am very happy with them. They have the double sided tape on the outer side of the visor.

·
fka rsidey
949 Posts
I roll with the in-channel and have no issues. Like Capt Sensible - there have been 2 or 3 occasions where the window has hit after riding on the highway with the windows down for an extended period but simply going down and back up solves it every time.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
the in channels are the best

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mind is made up. In channel it is! Just ordered them!
Thanks everyone! :cheers:
Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
My mind is made up. In channel it is! Just ordered them!
Thanks everyone! :cheers:
Ryan
Just an FYI, get a bottle of alcohol and clean the channel the visors stick to literally until you see no black smudging. I literally had to wipe the entire channel about 40 times. I did not want a half-a$$ seal, I did not want to have to go back and do any re-work. I was also lucky because right after the install you role the windows up to apply pressure, I had to leave town for 5 days, so they set up for 5 days. That was well over a year ago and mine are still perfect and tight everywhere. So take your time, clean, clean, clean and allow a few days to set up just to be sure:bigthumb:

P.S. The only downside to In-channel is sometimes you hear grit on the edges of window when rolling up and down, I used to try and vacuum, now I use compressed air and works good.

·
Registered
952 Posts
In channel - no issues

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I see the OP already ordered the in channel and everyone so far has said go for in channel. So I'm going to say you should have gotten the stick on. :jester::lol:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have the stick on's, only one's I could find around my area (think I found them at PEP BOYS), I have not had any issues with them so far. I've never had in-channel one's before so I can't compare to two. But again, no problems up to this point.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Stick on's here as well, no problems. I wasn't aware of the in channel ones either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an FYI, get a bottle of alcohol and clean the channel the visors stick to literally until you see no black smudging. I literally had to wipe the entire channel about 40 times. I did not want a half-a$$ seal, I did not want to have to go back and do any re-work. I was also lucky because right after the install you role the windows up to apply pressure, I had to leave town for 5 days, so they set up for 5 days. That was well over a year ago and mine are still perfect and tight everywhere. So take your time, clean, clean, clean and allow a few days to set up just to be sure:bigthumb:

Thanks for the advice!

And yes, I did order the in channel ones already. Thanks for everyone's help!
Ryan

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
i got the in channels and love em. its just looks cleaner with the in channels over the stick ons.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts