Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
In channel, but you need good thin double-sided tape, not the stuff that comes with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would also like to add a set of in channel vent visors. I would like to know if they cause window tint to peel at the top? Also, who has the best deal on the Weathertechs?

·
Registered
195 Posts
What I wopuld like to know is what is the consensus between the AVS in-channel (which requires some tape) and the WeatherTech in-channel, which doesn't require tape....please respond by discussing the amount of effort or difficulty to install, the finished look, how long you have had them and how well have they held up (any re-do's?)....and what you paid for yours.

Sorry if this sounds like a test (and who needs that?)...but trying to make a good decision, cause I got several vehicles I want to get them for.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
AVS in-channel. Love 'em. I get the stick on the passenger side. A little more often than I would like and not all the time. usually the inch-down inch-up trick works.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just got the Putco in channel today and they SUCK MAJOR BALLS!!! Very loose and the only 3m tape doesn't even touch anything to hold it out of the way. Can't roll up the window at all it always catches on it. I have to roll the window back down then push out the visor as I'm rolling the window back up. Not happy with the Putco in channel.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
On my 2 previous FJ's I installed the stick-ons. One set was AVS the other set was WeatherTec.

Neither brand had any significant advantage over the other and both were easy to install if you followed the "chinese directions", and paid attention to WTF you were doing.

Mostly I picked the stick-ons because they were the only ones the dealer carried at the time. Neither one leaked, peeled, cracked or came loose in the 2 years I had each vehicle...........and it rains a lot here - I mean A LOT!!!!!! 37 OUT OF THE LAST 42 DAYS IT HAS RAINED.

Having just picked up an '11 NSSE, I just ordered another set of vent shades and now the dealer only sells the in-channel. So we'll see how this goes. I have read before that there have been some complaints about being to snug and possibly causing power window motor failure in the long run.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
825 Posts
I see lots of people blaming Weathertech. This narrows it down to AVS or Lund both in channel. Haven't seen bad reviews for Lund but then, Lund users are minority.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I got my AVS, they came in a box that had Lund Industries as the return address, I'm thinking they're one in the same. (BTW, I use the in channel variety and haven't had a problem)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I just put on a pair of weathertech in channel on my front windows. It has no adhesive, but I can tell you there is NO WAY these things are going to pop-out. So far they are really great. I went with the "smoke" version (lighter color) to minimize the cheese factor.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Will try to read up more on these before I make my mind up. Gotta be very careful since I order from outside of US

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
The FJ came with AVS stick-on's when I bought it. So far, they've been great.

But a while back on my way up to Sacramento, I did have a bird hit my from turn signal, roll up the fender and get stuck in the vent visor. All this did was give a little blood splatter and remove the tape from the back end up the visor. Not really here nor there but this was at 70 mph and they stayed strong, even with tape.

So I say to anyone deciding between stick-on and in-channel, my vote goes to stick-on.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
the in channels are the best
What kind are you running Sang?

I want to get a set installed before heading to the Summit in a few weeks.

-

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had in channel for 3 months and removed them for stick on. I liked the wider gap of the stick on for more air flow. I'll be selling my in-channel AVS ones in the classifieds here soon.

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
stick on FTW! there was/is an issue with the window gasket/seal without any in track visor. Stick on won`t stress the window linkage or window motor...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've had both and def prefer the stick-on. With the channel combined with the window tint, it clearly put stress on the window motor and was much slower.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts