Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my FJ with a company to have my sound system installed on 2/8 while I was out of state. I was so excited to get back on 2/15, thinking I would have a banging system and my custom box installed to perfection. Boy was I in for a surprise. I walked to the back and they had ALL of my components sitting in the back of someone’s Polaris, several thousand dollars worth, my driver panel door next to a wall, crap all in my seats, etc. NOTHING DONE! I had been lied to all week when I would check in on the status. I had paid $1K down just to cover supplies and stuff so you can bet I was pissed! I got all my stuff, demanded my money back and am sitting home looking at all the uninstalled components on my dining room table. You just can’t trust folks anymore and it’s a shame.

Attachments

·
トヨタ Master
6,896 Posts
Never pay up front. Unless you are buying something non-returnable.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Outside of being fibbed to...that's how it goes with stereo shops/installs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Seems like some of y’all are new to this game with these posts...The automotive aftermarket industry is literally founded on over promise and under deliver by a wide margin. This is absolutely normal. Surprise, you shouldn’t be surprised.
Now you have to DIY or take it somewhere else, you literally gained nothing by taking your toys and going home.

Sorry for your wasted time, now you have to waste more. You’d be much better off next time raging in store and demanding it be done by tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
I would never do this Just liking sending food back after a tirade, did they spit in it or didn't they? The work would be shoddy or even poorly done to the point of unnecessary damage or worse a vehicle loss.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would never do this Just liking sending food back after a tirade, did they spit in it or didn't they? The work would be shoddy or even poorly done to the point of unnecessary damage or worse a vehicle loss.
You must be kidding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
465 Posts
SWMBO took my FJ to BestBuy while I was on a trip to Dubai. When I got back, they had put in a new head unit with satellite radio. She was thrilled and I gave my thanks effusively - was nice of her. Then the bill came in (2008) and I was pissed - $1200 to drop in the head unit and stick an antenna on the roof with double sided tape. The head unit was online for $400, so the rest was their "installation fee". They also made an absolute mess with their wiring - didn't snip anything - just stuffed it all behind the head unit like a nest of snakes,

When this unit went down (slowly faded out over 3 hrs - probably transistor failure), I got a new unit, faceplate and new speakers for $350. Took me 2 hours to put it in, including modifying the speaker mounts for the deeper speakers.

I agree with Microwave Oven here - it's not rocket science, and most people know the innards of their FJ better than an installer. If they do not, they should learn - because very few working for minimum wage actually give a sh%t about their work and if you don't know your FJ, then you need to since they aren't making more of them...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
MO said:
"Sorry for your wasted time, now you have to waste more. You’d be much better off next time raging in store and demanding it be done by tomorrow."

Clearly, YOU must be kidding.

"...demanding it must be done by tomorrow" would be an absolute guarantee of half-azz workmanship.

If the installer had accomplished NOTHING during the week he had the vehicle, and had REPEATEDLY lied to the customer regarding progress of the installation, do you really think that (after being confronted by the PO'd customer) the installer is suddenly going to become contrite and apologetic and responsible, and work overtime to properly install the system?

Or, now operating in FU mode, just grudgingly cram everything together as quickly and as crudely as possible?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I get it man, just had this happen to me getting my 88 Hilux painted. I wish I would have left less of a deposit because not only did the week take a month, when I got there, I was literally so pissed that I wanted to sand off their f'n pathetic paint job in their driveway and get all my $ back.
They said they'd fix it but I didn't trust them anymore, took my truck home & dealing with the aftermath myself. You can't trust anyone to care for your stuff. Aside from all the actual paint & body flaws they committed, they oversprayed all my new suspension and a brand new black bedliner installed the week before! It's literally going to cost me more than my deposit to clean up there overspray mess, the guy at the shop said he could rattle can black my frame & suspension real quick. I was like, hell no, I've spent the last couple years cleaning that frame and replacing the suspension components with new ones, had to get the f out of there before I did something stupid.
Damn shame.
Then get new tires on it last weekend and the jackasses put the weights on the outside, omg, can I win once?

·
Registered
218 Posts
MO said:
"Sorry for your wasted time, now you have to waste more. You’d be much better off next time raging in store and demanding it be done by tomorrow."

Clearly, YOU must be kidding.

"...demanding it must be done by tomorrow" would be an absolute guarantee of half-azz workmanship.

If the installer had accomplished NOTHING during the week he had the vehicle, and had REPEATEDLY lied to the customer regarding progress of the installation, do you really think that (after being confronted by the PO'd customer) the installer is suddenly going to become contrite and apologetic and responsible, and work overtime to properly install the system?

Or, now operating in FU mode, just grudgingly cram everything together as quickly and as crudely as possible?
Either you’re arguing for arguments sake, or you don’t know what you’re talking about because you’ve never done it. Pulling panels and replacing speakers in a vehicle like an FJ is at most a single day affair. Next...

And when have you EVER had a shop install something with the same care that you would yourself??? DIY or pay a high end shop top dollar and wait. Cheap, fast, “good”...you never get all 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Either you’re arguing for arguments sake, or you don’t know what you’re talking about because you’ve never done it. Pulling panels and replacing speakers in a vehicle like an FJ is at most a single day affair. Next...

And when have you EVER had a shop install something with the same care that you would yourself??? DIY or pay a high end shop top dollar and wait. Cheap, fast, “good”...you never get all 3.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Registered
194 Posts

(n)

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Lady Makes 1 post . FJ gurus start fighting amongst them selves about who knows best :rolleyes: . And even learned about a bad paint job and where to put wheel weights . This is Gold .(y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.