Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone who has been at the shows have any idea how much vertical clearance there is in the rear storage area? I do a lot of road cycling and I need about 37" vertical to be able to stand a bike up with the front wheel off so I can lock the front dropouts into a fork clamp laying on the floor. From the overall height of the FJ it looks close but am curious if anyone has taken an actual measurement. I'd need the 37" verticle about 30" towards the front of the storage space (probabaly right about where the rear seats fold from eyeballing it) as measured from the inside of the rear door. Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Just making a guess, but I do believe you will have the clearance you need inside the rig for your road bike...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Do you know how much those crazy road bikes cost? No, I wouldn't lay it down either. I would bet you will be able to make it work in the back of the FJ. It is surprisingly roomie in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'd definitely lay my bike down to be able to fit it in an FJ if I need to, my problem is a lot of times I car pool to races in which case it's easier to stand two up side by side. I have my Tundra set up so that I can stand two bikes up in the bed facing towards the back and lock the front fork(s) into a Yakima rack. Works really slick as I have an A.R.E. Highrise cap so the bikes stay dry even when it's pouring out. At least till I get to the race and ride in the rain. I hate roof racks. My "good" road bike was over $6k.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Remember you can get a receiver mounted bike rack. The ones for the Sienna, Landcruiser, and 4Runner will fit already.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
What if you got rear-ended carrying a $6K bike on a receiver mount!?
Jeez, for $6K do you still have to pedal the thing yourself.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm going to go with a receiver hitch solution for my mountain bikes. But they like dirt and spend most of their lives covered in it. If I had $6K worth of road bike to worry about I would definitely want it inside and protected from the elements. Plus, I don't race unless I've fallen and hurt myself pretty bad, then I race to the hospital.

The receiver mount will work for me. I can see your need for them to fit inside though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts