Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It says it is an available option in the brochure, but when I ordered my 2012 TT they said it was not at all available as any option. I don't understand why a standard FJ could get the JBL stereo but the TT couldn't, or why they couldn't even have it as an upgrade. But the extra annoying part was that it is clearly printed in the brochure. LIES!

·
Registered
7 Posts
right..i ordered my TT (not here yet) but i am very curious about the radio..ive heard bad things..what do you plan to do to upgrade? try to pay for JBL package or go aftermarket?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have the JBL in my 2012 (not a TT) & it isn't that great, it's not bad, but it has no touch screen, no Nav & only supports (2) Bluetooth devices.

(2) Sounds like enough but no & if you plug your iphone into the USB port to control the Ipod it will NOT let you use the iphones screen to surf music, etc.

You have to use the buttons on the JBL & it isn't user friendly, button after button to switch play lists or artist.

I use MotionX drive from the app store with voice turn by turn as my Nav, but if you are plugged into the USB port it will NOT play the voice direction over the stereo, it will only do it on bluetooth IF you are listening to the ipod, if you are using the fm/am tuner while using nav, again no voice over the stereo.

If I new what I know now, I would have got the standard stereo & got something after market, although the sound/speakers are great so at least if I do up grade I can leave the speakers/subwoofer.

just my opinion:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
I would trade in my radio for a SFA

·
Premium Member
4,236 Posts
The radio/stereo is not bad in the TT. I have had a lot worse in new cars but it is 2012.

One thing I have noticed that useing the bluetooth for a phone conversation going down the road at 80, wind noise, it doesn't have enough volume to hear the other person very well.

It is not easy to use with your iphone because you can't use your iphone screen to pick music/songs.

I still like the FJ enough, these things are just minor.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
I'm convinced that it was a mistake during manufacturing, like the early run for the 2011 TT's that were missing the TRD wheels, dashboard gauges, rear AC plug etc. There's no reason that you wouldn't include the upgraded stereo on the TT, since it is the most loaded version of the vehicle. Fortunately, they remembered to include the upgraded stereo on the 2011's.

But truth be told, the main reason I didn't go with an in-dash navi in my 2011 is that the factory JBL setup in the 2011 NSSE is pretty decent. So maybe you're lucky that its missing, it makes switching to a navi that much more justifiable.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
I'm convinced that it was a mistake during manufacturing, like the early run for the 2011 TT's that were missing the TRD wheels, dashboard gauges, rear AC plug etc. There's no reason that you wouldn't include the upgraded stereo on the TT, since it is the most loaded version of the vehicle. Fortunately, they remembered to include the upgraded stereo on the 2011's.

But truth be told, the main reason I didn't go with an in-dash navi in my 2011 is that the factory setup is pretty decent. So maybe you're lucky that its missing, it makes switching to a navi that much more justifiable.
Very true you and I have the big mistake but no big deal to me. I didnt want those rims or tires. I wouldn't mind the power outlet though. Also noticed we didn't get a sub cut off switch

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
583 Posts
Oh I was wondering when the comments about how the fj should be plain would start lol!

I am reenacting scenes of Platoon with Charlie Sheen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The radio/stereo is not bad in the TT. I have had a lot worse in new cars but it is 2012.

One thing I have noticed that useing the bluetooth for a phone conversation going down the road at 80, wind noise, it doesn't have enough volume to hear the other person very well.

It is not easy to use with your iphone because you can't use your iphone screen to pick music/songs.

you can adjust the volume of the bluetooth phone by using the controls on the steering wheel. *turn it up*

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Very true you and I have the big mistake but no big deal to me. I didnt want those rims or tires. I wouldn't mind the power outlet though.
I'd prefer the wheels to the 2010 TRD's I got, but I probably wouldn't spend the money to get them. I kinda wish I had the outside temp sensor from the gauge pod, and yeah the power outlet would have been nice. But I can live without all of that stuff, whereas I'd probably be upgrading the stereo significantly if it was the stock head with no sub.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeah, the stereo is pretty damn weak in these things. Speakers sound like poop. However, I do like having steering wheel audio controls for the radio AND bluetooth, so my headunit is here to stay. I do forsee down the road some line out convertors an amp and quality speakers.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
The audio system in my sisters car which is a Mercedes AMG sounds like crap. There is absolutely nothing like aftermarket audio system.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I've been able to use the iPhone screen to change what I'm listening to.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's like the blessing that slaps you across the face. I was mad at the quality of the system, and felt like the TT should have had the premium system as a standard. And that I'm going to fork out more dollars to get it right. But I have to admit, the boy in me loves buying equipment!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts