Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this mod over a year ago, but have gotten numerous PM's about a clarification on how the compressor was installed.

I started with the Viair 450C from 4-Wheel Parts. I chose this model because it was a constant duty compressor and doesnt get that hot. After the install I was completely amazed on how quiet and fast the compressor is. It takes about 2 minutes to fill and can fill tires quickly and run air tools.

It arrived with directions, but just wired it using pictures (I read it for the pictures).

Viair wiring schematic, wiring diagram (for those searching)
Also available here....Silver Star Customs - Gallery :: How To :: wiring_schematic

I had a base plate cut for the jack to keep it off the FJ's floor and keep vibrations down and but rubber washers between everything. I had bolts welded onto one end scene it hangs over into the dead space.

I removed the bracket for the jack, and had to cut the ridge to allow the bracket to fit flush.

After the cut.....drill holes for bracket.

Test fit

Bolt in from underneath

Here is the fitted compressor

I wired the pressure switch above the compressor in the dead space and mounted the switch and gauge in the rear panel.

Wire the tank to needed components.

Here is a birds eye view when we had to wire something else.

Enjoy.......

-Ben

·
Registered
570 Posts
Very nice install, you're making me think about a possible relocation....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW...There as almost no noise outside the vehicle and only the surface of the pump gets hot. The air is cool inside the jack stowage area.

The wiring harness on the shutoff switch has labels for every wire. the only guesswork is where to connect the power and ignition source.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ben,
Nice clean set up.
Would the 450C have enough "juice" (plumbing to all 4 wheels) to do all four corners simultaneously?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ben,
Nice clean set up.
Would the 450C have enough "juice" (plumbing to all 4 wheels) to do all four corners simultaneously?

I have 2 hoses and can do each side at once. It works well. I should of gotten the 200 psi system because I don't need the constant duty because it never gets close to hot for the <5 min it runs for.

-Ben

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Very nice! Any pics of the tank location? and mounting of it?
I'm wodering if I can rewire my VIAIR 400 (which has battery clamps) to be in the same set up as yours w/ an on off switch an permanently mounted....
I will get pics of the tank location, but I have a rear winch with mounts to that, so it would not help anyone with an OEM FJ for the install.

*edit -- Here is the pic of the location. It sits nicely under the ARB. It has never been hit or even scratched, but the pet**** got bent in Moab. The pic is from an extreme downgrade, but when sitting level you can't even see it.

Edit #2 -- Give me a break....You cant even say petc0ck in here?

-Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts