Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got around to installing the Viair Heavy On-Board air compressor kit. Overall the kit came with everything you need, however I had to mod a few things the way I wanted it to fit. :) This took me most of the day to make, but overall happy the way it turned out.

Here are the parts list included in the kit:

Included Parts
- 2.5 Gallon VIAIR Air Tank
- 400C VIAIR Compressor
- 1/4” NPT Quick Connect Coupler (M)
- Dash Panel Gauge with ON/OFF Switch
- Pressure Switch with Relay (110 PSI on, 150 PSI off)
- Reducer (1/8” NPT F to 1/4” NPT M)
- 1/4” NPT 175 PSI Safety Valve
- 1/4” NPT Drain ****
- 4” Strip of Continuous Grommet Material
- 20ft. 12-Gauge Wire with Inline Fuse Holder
- Electrical Connections

I had to make a bracket out of 1" aluminum square tubing to secure the air tank to the bottom of the trunk bed.. Sits right against the floor board in the middle of the bed.
Next had to make a compressor bracket out of 16 gage steel to mount to the under carriage where there were 3 existing treads I used to secure the mount too (sticker provided from Viair :) Primer black then flat black paint. Viair does make a bracket for $36 but, I got the material for $14 at Ace Hardware and it's a custom fit the way I wanted it :bigthumb: (Wires still needing connecting)

Viair provided a pressure gauge, which I decided to replace with a professional grade Autometer 150psi instead.. Ran the pressure hose inside the truck along-side the floor boards back down behind the jack to the tank...

Completion of the project was about 2 days, but you can probably do it all in a day.. I do like the location of the tank which you can't see from behind and avoids anyone trying to possibly tamper with it.. I would have preferred to mount the compressor in the engine compartment, however there would have more modification that would have to be done, based off the leader hose needing a direct connection to the tank. I do know that Viair is in the processes of making a Fj specific kit, but this should be ample for what I need..

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
nice job, is there any other location for the tank? An aux. tank for me is a few years down the road but it looks like thats the same location for it

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Finally got around to installing the Viair Heavy On-Board air compressor kit. Overall the kit came with everything you need, however I had to mod a few things the way I wanted it to fit. :) This took me most of the day to make, but overall happy the way it turned out.

Here are the parts list included in the kit:

Included Parts
- 2.5 Gallon VIAIR Air Tank
- 400C VIAIR Compressor
- 1/4” NPT Quick Connect Coupler (M)
- Dash Panel Gauge with ON/OFF Switch
- Pressure Switch with Relay (110 PSI on, 150 PSI off)
- Reducer (1/8” NPT F to 1/4” NPT M)
- 1/4” NPT 175 PSI Safety Valve
- 1/4” NPT Drain ****
- 4” Strip of Continuous Grommet Material
- 20ft. 12-Gauge Wire with Inline Fuse Holder
- Electrical Connections

I had to make a bracket out of 1" aluminum square tubing to secure the air tank to the bottom of the trunk bed.. Sits right against the floor board in the middle of the bed.
Next had to make a compressor bracket out of 16 gage steel to mount to the under carriage where there were 3 existing treads I used to secure the mount too (sticker provided from Viair :) Primer black then flat black paint. Viair does make a bracket for $36 but, I got the material for $14 at Ace Hardware and it's a custom fit the way I wanted it :bigthumb: (Wires still needing connecting)

Viair provided a pressure gauge, which I decided to replace with a professional grade Autometer 150psi instead.. Ran the pressure hose inside the truck along-side the floor boards back down behind the jack to the tank...

Completion of the project was about 2 days, but you can probably do it all in a day.. I do like the location of the tank which you can't see from behind and avoids anyone trying to possibly tamper with it.. I would have preferred to mount the compressor in the engine compartment, however there would have more modification that would have to be done, based off the leader hose needing a direct connection to the tank. I do know that Viair is in the processes of making a Fj specific kit, but this should be ample for what I need..

Cheers!
Nicely done! Thanks for sharing the installation

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Nice install!

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.. It's finally running, no pressure leaks and works great. .

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
nice job, is there any other location for the tank? An aux. tank for me is a few years down the road but it looks like that's the same location for it
Another location/option is to mount the air tank in the rear bumper support.
There are two M8 (8mm x 1.25) threaded holes on it that are 240 mm apart.
Fabricate a 1" square steel bar as mounting bracket. Attached the air tank - support feet/bracket with short M6 or M8 bolts/bolts to the fabricated bar.

Mount the tank (with fabricated bar) to the rear bumper support with two M8 (8mm x 1.25) 50 mm long bolts.

Air tank setup and fittings.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^, I thought about that location as well it also hides real nice..

Quick questions regarding the pressure gauge lamp. What wire can I tap into too, to only have the pressure gauge wire lite when I turn on parking light/headlights? Currently I have constant power because I'm using the internal fuse panel with add-circuit and need to change that..

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
^^, I thought about that location as well it also hides real nice..

Quick questions regarding the pressure gauge lamp. What wire can I tap into too, to only have the pressure gauge wire lite when I turn on parking light/headlights? Currently I have constant power because I'm using the internal fuse panel with add-circuit and need to change that..
Since your Gauge in already in the dash, the "GREEN" wire at the Light Control Rheostat harness is the best to tap the red wire from the gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ Nestor thanks, but I'm an idiot if I can't see what I'm looking at.. Where would this module be, kick panel, underneath gauge cluster?

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
^^ Nestor thanks, but I'm an idiot if I can't see what I'm looking at.. Where would this module be, kick panel, underneath gauge cluster?

I should have said, dimmer control switch.

This will help you locate the connector for the Rheostat:

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Perfect, thanks again... I'm assuming being tapped into the dimmer it will control the gauge so it matches the brightness of the main cluster?

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Perfect, thanks again... I'm assuming being tapped into the dimmer it will control the gauge so it matches the brightness of the main cluster?
No.

The green wire is the (incoming) power feed to the Rheostat.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Sweet installs both of you. Very nice bracket for the tank AZFJ25. Nestor, are you holding up the tank with just 2 M6 bolts? Immaculate install as always. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Sweet installs both of you. Very nice bracket for the tank AZFJ25. Nestor, are you holding up the tank with just 2 M6 bolts? Immaculate install as always. :cheers:
Yes, they are just M6 but they are 10.9 grade bolts and nuts. They are holding the tank securely for almost a year now.

·
Banned
6,079 Posts
Yes. Use the green wire for power to the gauge's red and run the brown/white wire to the black wire on the gauge. If the gauge doesn't have a black wire, connect the brown/white wire to the gauge chassis... just make certain that the gauge chassis is isolated from everything other that the plastic vent cover. Clean install! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice job, is there any other location for the tank? An aux. tank for me is a few years down the road but it looks like thats the same location for it
I'm not sure, from some of the post I don't believe there is enough room for a air tank + Aux fuel tank...

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^ They did release a couple new products recently however I'm not positive when they will be releasing the FJ version.. Maybe some from Viair can chime in on this one... Last time I spoke with them it was in the development stages, but don't quote me...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts