Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am sick and tired of dealing with my crappy Wally World compressor. Is the $350 range about the minimum to get into a decent compressor and an aux tank?

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
How you managed to install the gauge? There is only about 1" space under the cover and the gauge needs 2" at least.
A dremel is your friend.
There is a fair amount of plastic that can be removed behind that panel with compromising the integrity of the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry to bring up a old thread. What I'm looking to do is run another air adapter hose from the rear tank to the front of the truck.. What would should I use to run the air line from the tank to the front of the truck? Copper/fitting? Will a plastic compressor house work or does it need to be braided?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Quick question, I currently have 285/75R17 and could possible in a year or two move up to 35s. Would the medium duty handle 35s or should I go with a heavy duty? I know on amazon it says the medium is for 33s and the heavy was for 35s but I was wanting more imput.

·
Registered
583 Posts
ARB Duel is the big boy on the block.

I used plastic Air line (as mentioned above) with the push style fittings, they are used on all the Semi trucks now days and are easy to use.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've been wishing for the 450 constant duty myself. seems to be the best way to go for me. and like doxdozer said, the airline and push fittings will work just fine, you can get them at any truck shop. i have used these things for years on offroad and onroad vehicles with all my repairs and never had a problem and its really easy to work with.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry to bring up a old thread. What I'm looking to do is run another air adapter hose from the rear tank to the front of the truck.. What would should I use to run the air line from the tank to the front of the truck? Copper/fitting? Will a plastic compressor house work or does it need to be braided?
Use synflex line and either pushlok or compression fittings any parts shop that deals in heavy trucks should have everything. Any size line would do (¼, ⅜, ½) your "power" comes from the storage tank. The idea is to have enough volume to maintain pressure under load. Any truck shop should have tanks too. Synflex hose is tough stuff, not too much will hurt it except heat. Keep it away from hot stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally got around to installing the Viair Heavy On-Board air compressor kit. Overall the kit came with everything you need, however I had to mod a few things the way I wanted it to fit. :) This took me most of the day to make, but overall happy the way it turned out.

Here are the parts list included in the kit:

Included Parts
  • 2.5 Gallon VIAIR Air Tank
  • 400C VIAIR Compressor
  • 1/4” NPT Quick Connect Coupler (M)
  • Dash Panel Gauge with ON/OFF Switch
  • Pressure Switch with Relay (110 PSI on, 150 PSI off)
  • Reducer (1/8” NPT F to 1/4” NPT M)
  • 1/4” NPT 175 PSI Safety Valve
  • 1/4” NPT Drain ****
  • 4” Strip of Continuous Grommet Material
  • 20ft. 12-Gauge Wire with Inline Fuse Holder
  • Electrical Connections
I had to make a bracket out of 1" aluminum square tubing to secure the air tank to the bottom of the trunk bed.. Sits right against the floor board in the middle of the bed.
Next had to make a compressor bracket out of 16 gage steel to mount to the under carriage where there were 3 existing treads I used to secure the mount too (sticker provided from Viair :) Primer black then flat black paint. Viair does make a bracket for $36 but, I got the material for $14 at Ace Hardware and it's a custom fit the way I wanted it :bigthumb: (Wires still needing connecting)

Viair provided a pressure gauge, which I decided to replace with a professional grade Autometer 150psi instead.. Ran the pressure hose inside the truck along-side the floor boards back down behind the jack to the tank...

Completion of the project was about 2 days, but you can probably do it all in a day.. I do like the location of the tank which you can't see from behind and avoids anyone trying to possibly tamper with it.. I would have preferred to mount the compressor in the engine compartment, however there would have more modification that would have to be done, based off the leader hose needing a direct connection to the tank. I do know that Viair is in the processes of making a Fj specific kit, but this should be ample for what I need..

Cheers!
Hi,
Who
Finally got around to installing the Viair Heavy On-Board air compressor kit. Overall the kit came with everything you need, however I had to mod a few things the way I wanted it to fit. :) This took me most of the day to make, but overall happy the way it turned out.

Here are the parts list included in the kit:

Included Parts
  • 2.5 Gallon VIAIR Air Tank
  • 400C VIAIR Compressor
  • 1/4” NPT Quick Connect Coupler (M)
  • Dash Panel Gauge with ON/OFF Switch
  • Pressure Switch with Relay (110 PSI on, 150 PSI off)
  • Reducer (1/8” NPT F to 1/4” NPT M)
  • 1/4” NPT 175 PSI Safety Valve
  • 1/4” NPT Drain ****
  • 4” Strip of Continuous Grommet Material
  • 20ft. 12-Gauge Wire with Inline Fuse Holder
  • Electrical Connections
I had to make a bracket out of 1" aluminum square tubing to secure the air tank to the bottom of the trunk bed.. Sits right against the floor board in the middle of the bed.
Next had to make a compressor bracket out of 16 gage steel to mount to the under carriage where there were 3 existing treads I used to secure the mount too (sticker provided from Viair :) Primer black then flat black paint. Viair does make a bracket for $36 but, I got the material for $14 at Ace Hardware and it's a custom fit the way I wanted it :bigthumb: (Wires still needing connecting)

Viair provided a pressure gauge, which I decided to replace with a professional grade Autometer 150psi instead.. Ran the pressure hose inside the truck along-side the floor boards back down behind the jack to the tank...

Completion of the project was about 2 days, but you can probably do it all in a day.. I do like the location of the tank which you can't see from behind and avoids anyone trying to possibly tamper with it.. I would have preferred to mount the compressor in the engine compartment, however there would have more modification that would have to be done, based off the leader hose needing a direct connection to the tank. I do know that Viair is in the processes of making a Fj specific kit, but this should be ample for what I need..

Cheers!
Hi,
It's been seven years since you last posted anything. Oh well, we'll see if you're around. I'm assuming there is an air filter on the compressor. How do you clean/replace it?
Thanks,
Bryan

21 - 34 of 34 Posts