Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
so I purchased the viair constant duty on board air system with 2.5 gal tank and will be installing and mounting this weekend. I've done a search and have seen some pretty cool installs, but i cannot decide between 2 locations.

Here's what I have it narrowed it down to:

1) Tank above the driver's side wheel well (directly across from factory sub), compressor mounted in jack storage area.

Pros: Easily accessable, Compressor/tank will not be affected by debris/dust/water, it will be easier to drain condensation from inside of tank
Cons: Takes up a good amount of space, compressor will be loud and easily audible when it kicks on from that location, and I'm concerned about the compressor overheating from it's small storage space.

OR:

2) both compressor and air tank UNDER the truck, mounted in front of the rear bumper.
Pros: Set it and forget it, Compressor will be less audible from that location, tank and compressor will not be taking up precious cargo space.
Cons: THE ELEMENTS! I'm worried about the tank being nailed by a rock and EXPLODING (or sustaining damage period), and the compressor being damaged by water (ie scuba driving). It will also be more difficult to drain condensation from the tank in this location, because the tank will be mounted sideways and the drain valve will no longer be on the absolute bottom of the tank.

So FJCRUISERFORUMS--WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

Thanks for your help and insight...I'm open to any and all suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
OK, third option...requires more air lines, but gets everything off the ground, and out of the cabin area. I think the VIAIR compressor is small enough to mount under the hood in a variety of places. So just run lines to the reservoir at another location...under the rear bumper, in the cargo area or on the roof. It's a little more work and you'll have to purchase a little more hardware/lines, but worth it in the end.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Have you considered the area on the passenger side behind the rear wheel well? Just like the jack storage area only unused. You can get in there from two different pannels, the little tray pops out and the area where the outlets are for the inverter pops out.

You could mounut the pump in there and insulate it and then mount the tank under the rig. That was my plan before buying the Warn powerplant winch compressor combo.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, thanks for your suggestions. BMThiker--your setup is sweet! I hadnt considered the roofrack for the tanks--its a great idea but I don't want to worry about routing the tubes up there.

I like the idea of mounting the compressor under the hood--seems like an ideal place.

So I guess I'm left with deciding on tank placement. I'm guessing the tank is pretty robust, right? Do I REALLY need to worry about it getting hit now and again when I'm offroad?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I like BMT's set up, that looks killer. I went with a different approach due to sound system:

At first I did this:

WAYYY too heavy for that door but looks killer

Then I tried this:

Compresors are way too loud when mounted to plastic... I had a mount made and now it looks like the first pic. The set up is LOUD having two 480c compressors, but fills up the 3 gallon tank in a minute.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
more pics

All the electrical stuff I mounted to a sheet of alum that I screwed down to the firewall flange. Since these pics were taken, I have installed a different check valve and moved the pressure switch to the other side of the compressor's manifold. I also added an indash switch to control power to the compressor.

I ran the airline from the engine compartment along the top of the passenger side frame rail, then up into the compartment below the subwoofer thru a rubber grommet already there. Across the back of the rear cargo door sill (parallel to the rear window washer fluid line). Then into the compartment where the bottle jack is and out the rear door hinge rubber boot.

line runs up the gap between the door and body with no pinching and connects to the driver side tank.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The compressor under the hood seems the best place. Not too loud...and out of direct contact with the 'elements'. The tank is another issue. I checked out Metal Tech's FJ and they have the tank mounted underneath the back of the FJ. Looks like a fine place to mount it, but I might give it a skid plate to make sure it doesn't take any direct hits from sharp rocks. It was cool back there because it's out of the way and easy to run an air line out of. Heck, you could run the air line up to a chuck in the jack storage area. Plug in your hose and you're ready to go. :) Have fun with your install...deciding where is definitely the hardest part!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
BMT,
That is the sickest on board air setup I've ever seen! I love it! I want it! Do you have a writeup on the installation somewhere?

·
Registered
161 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts