Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I'm rolling again and looking forward to seeing you all at the next monthly get together, or next trip once I get my new plates. I replaced the 2007 FJ Cruiser I totaled in March with another 2007 FJ Cruiser.

In the end, I actually made some cash on the deal and wound up with a better base vehicle for rock crawling, by switching from MT to AT. I paid $21k for the replacement FJ, which had 14k miles on it. That compares with the $23k I owed on my original FJ , which had 22k miles on it. I paid $26.8k with ttl for the first FJ and the replacement value was incredible - $29.3k even with 22k miles on it.

The guy I purchased my replacement rig from is a friend, who had to unload it after being transferred to Europe. He originally paid $31k, forking out a lot of dough for a bunch of dealer mods I am too cheap to consider, but am really enjoying nonetheless.

That said, insurance only covered about $4,300 of my $8,000 in mods and I only kept about $2,500 of the stuff they didn't cover. I took my ARB roof-rack, after-market tires and lights.

I left the rear ARB bumper, which I was never comfortable with; and the safari snorkel, which just got me trouble, on the old ride even though insurance didn't cover them. It's a great snorkel, which is very easy to install.

However, I don't see myself adding another snorkel or doing any of the other scuba mods until I figure out how to lift the computers from their shin-height mounting locations. It makes no sense to raise the air intake, when the computers are more than 18-inches under the original intake location behind the hood. That location was what really hurt me when i totaled my original rig. So, lifting the computers is Job 1 for me right now.

I've also soured on the heavy ARB front bumper I had on my original FJ because of the added weight. It's a great bumper, but it killed my gas mileage and this is my daily driver.

So, I'm going to try to learn from my mistakes and go with bumpers that are less tank-like this time around. About the only mod I really was desperate to keep and didn't, was ARB's Old Man Emu suspension. Its absence is very noticeable.

It'll be a while before I can afford that kind of mod again, being that Amaka and I got married April 2. And, as if that wasn't enough, I lost, my job April 11. There's definitely a lot going on in my life. I'm getting it all straightened out little by little.

Does anyone know what it takes to transfer the extended warranty on my replacement vehicle from the seller to myself?

Is there someone who can give a primer on the wiring lights. I've got the wiring harness and the lights, but haven't done it before, and am looking for pointers. Happy to drive out for them, too.

Any idea when the next meeting and field trip are?

Victor1212

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
Victor,

Thanks for the update. Though I had the inside track. :)

Next meet up:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/texas/52628-houston-next-fj-gathering-may-2008-a.html
May 10th -- 11am at GeneralSams
General Sams!
I thought we were talking about that Thursday at dinner?

Oh and happy hour with the guys and gals next week.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/texas/48313-houston-happy-hour-12.html

Anyways good to see you back on the forums.

back story for those who missed it:
One Dead FJ - TTORA Forum

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Vic! Welcome back!! Hopefully we'll see ya at Gen Sam's or at the HHH next week.

Congrats on getting married!

Sorry to hear about the lay off, let me know if there is anything I can do.

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
...Does anyone know what it takes to transfer the extended warranty on my replacement vehicle from the seller to myself?...

...Any idea when the next meeting and field trip are?...
Vic, great to hear that you are still around and are cruising in a new rig. When I bought my FJ the seller had approximately 84K miles of a 100K mile Platinum warranty that is now in my name. Call 800-228-8559 (with the old warranty paperwork in hand, they will need the policy # and others) and there is no longer a need to send in the paperwork to Toyota, all you need to do is pay the fee (I think ~$25) and they will send out the new paperwork to you.

Also, General Sam's this Saturday appears to be a go still.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What warranty are you talking about? Is this an additional one my dealer should have offered me?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip. I just transferred the warranty. Cost me nothing.

Vic, great to hear that you are still around and are cruising in a new rig. When I bought my FJ the seller had approximately 84K miles of a 100K mile Platinum warranty that is now in my name. Call 800-228-8559 (with the old warranty paperwork in hand, they will need the policy # and others) and there is no longer a need to send in the paperwork to Toyota, all you need to do is pay the fee (I think ~$25) and they will send out the new paperwork to you.

Also, General Sam's this Saturday appears to be a go still.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Vic, that's good to hear! Shouldn't you be applying that next coat of wax to your new FJ?

Speaking of which, we need to get together with Cali/Ms.Isom and have a "Buff Day" party and work on these trail rashes!

:cheers:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm down with O-P-B (other people's buffer)... Just say when. Also, where and when is Happy Hour on Wednesday?

victor1212

Vic, that's good to hear! Shouldn't you be applying that next coat of wax to your new FJ?

Speaking of which, we need to get together with Cali/Ms.Isom and have a "Buff Day" party and work on these trail rashes!

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Saturday looks like a great day to have a "buff and beer" party. let me know if this Saturday works for you.
I would love too, but this Saturday is a no go for me....I'll be in Denver Fri-Sun for a fraternity brother's wedding. Maybe I'll bring a bride's maid home with me!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Saturday works for me. I'll get the back waxed and wear something low-cut. Only question is who has a hose and a spigot among us apartment dwellers??

Saturday looks like a great day to have a "buff and beer" party. let me know if this Saturday works for you.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
victor1212 said:
....Only question is who has a hose and a spigot among us apartment dwellers??
I got the supplies (hose, spigot, nozzle, buffer, extension cord, car wash stuff, rags, blah blah blah).

Buffer pads and wax would be of your choice. I will verify the size but I do believe it is a 10" buffer.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Have you guys ever tried that NuFinish scratch remover? Any results or preferred waxes/buffers?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts