Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

VIN numbers dont match!

10K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  jasonfjc 
#1 ·
I went to the dealers today to ask them a question about my windshield and the service guy pointed out something. He said every FJ has the VIN number of the vehicle etched into each window, including the winshield. All the VIN numbers on my windows match...BUT the VIN on all the windows dont match the VIN of my FJ! I bought it used a year ago with 30,000 miles on it. Can ANYBODY help be figure out what the heck could be going on?! How could all my windows have a different VIN etched into them than my FJs VIN?

And there is no way every window on the FJ was replaced with glass from another FJ, just not possible.

#2 ·
That's strange. I didn't even know the vin was etched into the glass. Any way of getting in touch with the previous owner?? Is all the glass branded Toyota? I bought mine used and the windshield was replaced has a ppg logo.

#9 ·
Double-check the VIN you are comparing it to.... there are many places to check.... just inside the driver's door and also on the dash by looking through the windshield at the bottom.

If those VIN's don't match then you have a much bigger problem.

Reactions: ZoSoIV
#10 ·
It's hard for me to imagine a situation in which every window in the truck would have been replaced with an identical vin that was not the same as the chassis. Like Cliffy said, check the other vin stampings. There should be one on a frame rail and some of the body panels, but someone else will have to tell us where they are.

Charlie

Reactions: Winterpeg
#12 ·
I'm leaning towards the possibility that it was either in an accident or was vandalized at one point with the previous owner.

#13 ·
I've heard the little porthole windows in the cargo area almost always crack when trying to remove them. If they have same vin #s as other glass could Toyota have installed wrong glass on assembly?? Maybe there is another '13 running around with you're glass?

#14 ·
All the VIN numbers on the glass match up. All the VIN numbers on bodys panels match up as well, but are different than the glass VIN. I cant imagine a senerio where every window would need to be replaced, even an accident. The FJ is in fantastic shape. Im leaning toward it was a mistake.

I have no way to contact the previous owner. It was bought at an auction and they wont privide me with the previous owners information.

#18 ·
#19 ·
My dealer does a thing sort of like the VINetcher only it's with a decal that is put on panels and stuff and if it's removed it destroys it and leaves part of the decal on the panel along with bonding with the paint so the number stays visible and so you can see that it's been tampered with. They put them on my Tundra on the doors and a few other places. I don't remember much about it, but it's in my paperwork. It didn't show any charge to me on my paperwork either.

Reactions: ASWH1 and Hannibal
#25 ·
Are you talking about the VIN near the front windshield on the dash that you can see through the front window? I don't recall any front windshield etching of a vin number. If the dash vin was different than other vins on the FJ then that makes sense to worry.

#27 ·
He said every FJ has the VIN number of the vehicle etched into each window, including the winshield.

How could all my windows have a different VIN etched into them than my FJs VIN?
Every FJ, etched VIN number in each window? Never heard, never seen. I can't believe Toyota would etch them.

I think somebody is etched them afterwards, as extra security but missed the right VIN.

#28 ·
Everyone who said that it was a mixup is correct.

But only the ones who voted for dealer mixup, because Toyota does not etch the glass at the factory. There are services which will do this for you as an aftermarket thing to (hopefully) make your car slightly less likely to be stolen (very slightly).

Concerns with etching side window glass is that tempered glass with abrasions in its outer surface are more likely to shatter.

Some models also have special VIN stickers on several key body parts, but European and Federal regulations dictate which vehicles need that extra step (only the ones which lack certain levels of built in immobilizer systems and theft prevention design require them, other vehicles which include these things are allowed to skip the expense of additional stickers).

No doubt the same folks who would provide a glass etching service could also provide similar VIN stickers if desired. Having these things done by your dealer sounds like "Scotchguarding", and "Undercoating": great ways of boosting the dealer's bottom line by charging customers $300 for $10 worth of product. Not that they don't work, but that they generally charge many multiples of what they actually cost, and often aren't necessary.

N

#39 ·
So you think that some dealerships have like a VIN GLASS etching "service" I would assume come over to the Dealership (rather than the cars being taken to a 2nd location-) and have this service performed? It wouldn't be feasible in my estimation to ship every car out to some secondary location, I don't think- but I could be wrong.

IF you can find out what dealership sold the 2010 Rav4, you might be able to verify that they also originally (maybe) sold your 2013FJTT. IF it seems that these two cars were never both at the same dealership I'd be more concerned.

In practical terms it doesn't really matter unless they find the VIN Glass with ID from your REAL frame and body laying on the ground at some Hit and Run or similar accident. They could track back to you, unfortunately. You could have this resolved by having a statement from Toyota issued, Dealership, DMV or whoever will cooperate.

You could try to have the DMV contact the RAV4 Owner and have them check their Glass VIN #- would be interesting to see if they have your VIN Glass.

#33 ·
I went to the dealers today to ask them a question about my windshield and the service guy pointed out something. He said every FJ has the VIN number of the vehicle etched into each window, including the winshield.
Ah... Imagine that, another wrong answer from a dealership tech. :rolleyes: Like the others have said, either trace it back to the original dealership that did it and make them pay for all new glass or let it go.

Make sure that you match the rest of the VIN tags and decals on body panels.

Good Luck! :cheers:

#36 ·
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

#40 · (Edited)
Reactions: Lee44
#41 ·
VIN ETCHING "Package": Games Dealers Play: VIN Etching | Consumer Law Group, LLC

VIN ETCHING "Car Scam"/ The Good and the Bad: VIN Etching Car Scam - Dealer Fraud Lawyer

Also- read that some insurance companies will give a Discount if you have VIN Etched Glass PLUS an Alarm. So, unfortunately that kinda works against you- though technically you do have VIN Etched Glass...
I liked that first link but I get a "Dangerous Website Blocked" warning on the second link

#42 ·
Its just a gimmick dealers do so they can charge for it. They seem to have simply messed up. They have it done typically when they receive the cars and PDI them into the system. Rarely do they give you a choice to do it (or to not pay for it).

Insurance will typically give you a discount for having it...they dont have to know its all wrong lol

Reactions: ASWH1
#45 ·
I thought back in the days people do that. The car does not come from the factory with vin inched in the glass nowadays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.