Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Vintage Cruisers

307K views 4K replies 155 participants last post by  Jameson67 
Question: what is the difference between an FJ40 and an FJ45?

I read every post to this thread, but couldn't see a visual difference, or at least, didn't know what to look for.
I've read the FJ Company description, and Wikipedia, and searched on iH8Mud, but they don't actually explain it either.

At first I thought 45 meant hard top, but then sources say 45s came with soft tops too.
Then I thought it was wheelbase, but sources say both came in various wheelbases.

What am I missing?

Norm "40 or 45?" Kerr

OK, so now I understand why I am confused: there is no way to tell a 40 from a 45 by looking at it (like only another penguin can tell if one is a male or a female), the differences are on the inside.

I was expecting people to define it, that there would be something that can be nailed down, like "all 45s have a vent window, 40s don't", or a differently shaped hood, or added louvered vent, or the kinds of beds/back ends, or wheelbases available. Something visible. Or an engine difference, or model year. But they both seem to have been offered in overlapping specs, based on the photos posted (unfortunately, the majority of photos posted to this thread don't clarify which one is being shown, though I eventually figured out everything AFTER the 4# series, like 55 and so on).

Or I am still missing something.
Norm "trying to learn" Kerr

Wow, those videos in post #1288 look really cool. It is too bad that they were filmed off of a television (like a bootleg Chinese version of a new Hollywood movie) and not transferred directly to video (most towns have a shop which will do that for a reasonable fee).

Hannibal, do you have access to the VHS tape (or whatever their current format happens to be) so that it could be digitized?

thx,
Norm

WOW, where did you find that flag? What an amazing story there must be behind that collection of boarder crossing / customs / immigration stamps!
(and how did they get the officials to cooperate into that iconic shape)

Maybe it is a very cleverly done photoshop image? In either case, it is awesome.

Their Japanese "Learner's Permit" is on upside down!
The spring colors "bud" is for new/young drivers, similar to the UK's "L" (L, for Learning).
There also is one in autumn colors, for elderly drivers.

Here's my Austin mini with a Japanese "L" on the rear, and the UK "L" on the front.

Attachments