Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While some of you are out there wheeling your FJ, I spent my Sunday afternoon installing an alarm:( For those of you that are thinking about it, it is much easier than the installation manual seems to be. I spent a little less than 4 hours and I was taking my time. I have no doubts this can be done in less than 3 hours. And I'd bet you the guys at the port only needs an hour or so after the first one or if there's more than one guy.

Awhile back, there was a thread mentioning the empty spot below the passenger airbag light. To confirm (if it hasn't), that light will blink after installing the VIP.

Here are a few things I like to add to the install: (Don't worry, the installation manual is as good as it gets.)

Pg 3 / Fig 1-4:
Be sure to pull the panel upward (not directly at yourself) because those 4 clips are at a 45 degree angle.

Pg 5 / Fig 1-14 / Step w:
I did not find disconnecting any connector and removing the harness clamp necessary, all I had to do was to pull the cover out slowly and slide it to the passenger foot area.

Pg 11 / Fig 3-2 / Step b:
Don't put that screw in yet, uninstall the exisiting noise filter on the following steps first.

Pg 11 / Fig 3-3 / Step c:
Be sure you have an offset screwdriver! Otherwise that upper screw will be very hard to take out.

Oh, for those of you that has the VIP installed, do you have the ignition controlled door lock? I am so sure I read it somewhere the VIP should do it but mine doesn't:confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
How do you like the alarm. Is there any differences in that model compared to another brand. On my 03 4runner I had the alarm shop put in an alarm and I asked them to make it work with my keyless entry. It worked great. The only think I would want more than that would be a window pop button for the back window. They key only option is kinda lame...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bigbill25 said:
Thanks Smurf.

I'll be doing this soon, so it was good to get the first hand feedback :)

--Bill
You are welcome, feel free to pm me if you have any question;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TonysFJ said:
How do you like the alarm. Is there any differences in that model compared to another brand. On my 03 4runner I had the alarm shop put in an alarm and I asked them to make it work with my keyless entry. It worked great. The only think I would want more than that would be a window pop button for the back window. They key only option is kinda lame...
Well, VIP vs aftermarket alarms has been debated few weeks ago:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852&highlight=VIP+3rd+party

In your case, if you want to add the window pop, you will have to get aftermarket alarm because the factory keyless remote does not have the extra channel you need.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Smurf,

Question about tools: Is the "Nylon Panel Removal Tool" some standard thing they have at an auto parts store? Never used one...

Striker Tool? I assume you skipped that functional test?

Thanks.

--Bill

·
Registered
310 Posts
My nylon panel removal tool consisted of a flat screwdriver with masking tape around the tip. Worked pretty well and I didn't damage anything during my XM module install (aka removing the entire right side interior of my new truck).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bigbill25 said:
Smurf,

Question about tools: Is the "Nylon Panel Removal Tool" some standard thing they have at an auto parts store? Never used one...

Striker Tool? I assume you skipped that functional test?

Thanks.

--Bill
Yes, any auto parts store carry that, they do come in couple different sizes. But I don't have any and didn't have to use it. All the panels pops out and goes back easily by hand and on few occasions I had to use a flat screwdriver to get the edge up. (Great suggestion by Scott9000 on taping up a flathead!) The only one that requires a little more attention is page 3 fig 1-4because i didn't know the 4 clips tilt up at a 45 degree angle and that panel was on tight!!

Striker Tool? What page was that from?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We must be reading different manuals, the function checks on the one I am looking at doesn't start 'til page 17:confused:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I'm reading the one off of TRDSource.com...

Here is a quote:

Perform the following check in a
temperature-controlled environment
(50º-90º F)
Pull the striker tool all the way out to tap the
center of the drivers door window to trigger
an alarm.

--Bill

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I did my RS3200 Plus install on Friday night. The darn thing took a long time. I went over to a friend's who has a much larger garage than myself after work on Friday. We started at about 7:00, took and hour break for dinner, but didn't finish until 1:00am, so five hours working time. There were several times when I thought "I should just have paid the dealer". Oh well, it's done. Here's my add-ons to FJsmurf's notes:

Page 7/ Fig. 2-3:
This was the hardest step for me. That darn little GREEN/RED wire would NOT come out of that harness. I tugged and tugged and nothing. Finally had to grab it with some pliers. All the tugging made the wire rather flaccid, so it was hard to install into the new harness in Fig. 2-6. I would suggest going straight for the pliers.

Page 11/Fig. 3-3:
I found a small 'stubby' Phillips head screwdriver to work better than the offset screwdriver I had.

It was that hard to do, just long. I didn't get that GREEN/RED all the way in the new harness, so the horn didn't work. Didn't find that out until the next day, as I wasn't going to do "functional tests" at 1:00am :) Luckily, that connector was inside the steering column, so that was easy to get to and fix.

--Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
For all you VIP RS3200+ DIYs out there - were did you buy the system, what price did you pay and did it include the "mystery switch" in the package which I guess disables the motion sensor? Also what is the official Toyota part number for the system?

I'm going to buy a twelve pack and attempt the install this weekend if I can get the package! Enquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

MudSlide

:confused: :)

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
hey for those that did this, this is my weekend project. I'm looking at "removing the register assembly," and I can't tell if the piece moves out toward the door, or in toward the driver. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks!!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
hey for those that did this, this is my weekend project. I'm looking at "removing the register assembly," and I can't tell if the piece moves out toward the door, or in toward the driver. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks!!
In toward the driver... The best way I found to remove it (and it isn't hard) was to "hinge" it down by grabbing around the top vent and pulling out and down in an arc. Have fun!

--Bill

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
bigbill25 said:
In toward the driver... The best way I found to remove it (and it isn't hard) was to "hinge" it down by grabbing around the top vent and pulling out and down in an arc. Have fun!

--Bill
I sense sarcasm :p

Thanks! Not looking forward to it but I want my baby protected :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts