Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up hopping out to lock hubs in the 70s with various 4WDs.

My person 4WDs have include an 4th and 5th gen US Hi Lux, 2nd gen 4Runner, first gen X-Terra, trail rated WK2, first gen Expedition, second gen Expedition,
With a ton of time in other countries with Hiluxes, Prado, Land Cruisers, Patrols, etc.

With plenty of XJ, Wrangler, WK etc. in the family.

I have picked up a 2011 Silver FJ with 60,000 miles on it.
It is outfitted very unusually.

It has the manual transmission with diff lock and Atrac, rear view mirror camera, dash compass/inclinometer, etc. but nothing else. No rear outlet, no sliders/steps, no tow attachment, etc.

I need to get a roof rack, shovel/axe/high jack mounts, rear spare gas can mount, and brush guards with winch mount.
I would like a side ladder, also, but only see ones that block the rear window.

So,
Factory roof rack with attachments- or a better option for the factory mounts?
Factory tow and light hookup up?
Good ladder option?
Good slider/step option?
Is there a good brushguards/winch mount option without adding 300 pounds of new bumper?

Thank you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now, my strategy may have been off.
I spent a few months deciding what to look for and go with.

I wanted Toyota durability and long term reliability in a relatively modern vehicle, mixed with an old school manual transmission off road experience.
I am early 50s, retired from almost 30 years in the military, and have a civilian job now.

I wanted low miles.

I decided on a 2011 and up for the latest engine version. I had to comb through dozens of automatics for every single manual I could find.

I wanted to keep vehicle cost with tax, tags, title, and Toyota 5/60 warranty as far unless der 25k as possible.

I originally was going to go older, and less cost. I had some buddies explain lower mileage from a Toyota dealer and buying the Toyota extended warranty meant at 100k I could get some service that basically meant the warranty paid for itself. We will see.

I was originally going to get one with all the accessories already done. This would save a few thousand bucks on sliders, rack, etc. Then I had some advice that no rack, tow option, etc. meant I would be getting a vehicle that had a very easy life. Finding both a manual and easy life and the other criteria led to a pretty small pool to choose from. Some rare Carmax or Toyota CPO 2014s, etc. Even a garage pampered TT or two.

But costs for some of these were the same as or more than their MSRP.

We will see long term and equipping costs if I chose poorly or not.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
OEM hitch and wiring harness for sure - plug and play

Spare gas - IMO Scepter MFC, the can be stored anywhere any angle without leaking. 5 gallons emptied in under 1min.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I grew up hopping out to lock hubs in the 70s with various 4WDs.

My person 4WDs have include an 4th and 5th gen US Hi Lux, 2nd gen 4Runner, first gen X-Terra, trail rated WK2, first gen Expedition, second gen Expedition,
With a ton of time in other countries with Hiluxes, Prado, Land Cruisers, Patrols, etc.

With plenty of XJ, Wrangler, WK etc. in the family.

I have picked up a 2011 Silver FJ with 60,000 miles on it.
It is outfitted very unusually.

It has the manual transmission with diff lock and Atrac, rear view mirror camera, dash compass/inclinometer, etc. but nothing else. No rear outlet, no sliders/steps, no tow attachment, etc.

I need to get a roof rack, shovel/axe/high jack mounts, rear spare gas can mount, and brush guards with winch mount.
I would like a side ladder, also, but only see ones that block the rear window.

So,
Factory roof rack with attachments- or a better option for the factory mounts?
Factory tow and light hookup up?
Good ladder option?
Good slider/step option?
Is there a good brushguards/winch mount option without adding 300 pounds of new bumper?

Thank you.
Nice find. Love the color.
I decided in July while we were in Colorado that we needed an fj for our increasingly frequent off road ventures. Started looking as soon as we got home. Like you I wanted low miles and a clean slate to do my own mods. I lucked out and within a week I found one in DC with only 16 K miles on the odo for $23,000 and like new. Totally stock. I have since added a 2.5 inch lift to the front and 1.5 in the rear using Bilstein 5100's. I also put on BFG 34 10.5 17 tires and a set of Budbilt sliders. Total of mods around $2,000 and it sits very nice, has plenty of clearance to do any off roading I desire ( not interested in rock crawling, but enjoy areas like the alpine loop ) and only have $25K in a vehicle that will last for years. Probably not interested in a lot of other mods with the exception of upgrading the lighting.

·
Premium Member
16,368 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard! Great looking FJC. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
A-Team Moderator
8,198 Posts
Look at it this way, add what you want and no takeoffs to deal with. Other than small electronics, the inverter is pretty useless. OEM hitches are available on Amazon, as are a lot of other parts.

Peruse the Interior/Exterior Visual Tech section for roof rack comparisons and the 4x4/Off Road section for bumper and slider comparisons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m currently running the Gobi stealth rack which, at least around me and from numerous photos I’ve seen, is very popular on the 4runners. It has held up pretty nice so far in the past 8 years for being a steel rack with the rough conditions of the salty east coast, but is definitely what I consider pricey and comes with the “free” rear mounted ladder, which I do not currently use (I, too, like using the rear hatch). I’ve also heard good things about the Baja Rack. I feel it comes down to personal preference, how much you are willing to spend, whether you want steel or aluminum, weather conditions around your area, etc.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Ramairthree, welcome from central Ohio!
Getting out to lock the hubs - my first vehicle was a Jeep Cherokee/Wagoneer with those. Good memories.

There are so many options for each the mod options.
I have the factory rack, if I didn't have the light dam in front of it I'd consider the Front Runner rack (ZerosFJ posted some pics last week) amongst the many good choices.
While the ladders looks good, but never found one that quite worked for what I wanted.
I have the OEM hitch and it's been really handy for hauling trailers, I'd do it if you think you might need it. Toyota's kit only has a 4-pin so I added a Kurt Spectrum remote (no knee cap bustinng) brake controller and 7-pin socket to the factory 4-pin.

Have fun and enjoy your modding!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Heres the roof rack thread that Hannibal mentioned:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/633673-new-complete-roof-rack-comparison.html

Lots of options that are way better than factory roof rack....but will cost you more than OEM rack.

Brushguards are useless and damage multipliers. The other option besides a replacement front bumper and winch mount are something like this:

https://www.usoffroad.us/

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/metal-tech-fj-cruiser-stronghold-winch-bumper/

Heres a recent thread:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/729258-problems-regrets-us-offroads-lucrum-winch-mounts.html

Sliders/steps....a whole lot of options. Look for a thread on all those as well. You want something that mounts to the frame not the body. Those drop down steps will need to be removable for wheeling or will get torn off when you are wheeling. A lot of people just buy sliders that extend out from sides and have a step. Probably looking at $500-$700 and they weigh about 120# for a pair. Just know that sliders that extend out make it more difficult to step out of the vehicle without using them as a step or they are pretty good at wiping any collected dirt on your pants leg. Not a problem for me but can make the wife/gf awful unhappy when it happens.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are definitely some very poor brushguard designs.

And a lot of cool action shots of FJs are not in a location where they would be off use.

In the desert, on groomed recreational trails, etc. they do no good.

On narrow skid roads, overflowing log trails, narrow trails around the farm,
They do what they are supposed to,
Keep branches and stuff from breaking your head lights.

A design mounted to your bumper, winch mount, etc, seems to work.

Not so much the cosmetic types that block headlight output or wrap up and around and mess your vehicle up.

I swear I saw a set that mounted off a steel bumper that looked like the way to go.

I will probably do sliders with a step.

I have not decided if I will do the factory tow or a steel rear bumper.

The factory roof rack looks classic for an FJ, but aside from looks I appreciate the other links and options.

I also meant to ask, where is the back up camera?
I was going to do a Jerry can mount on the spare.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
There are definitely some very poor brushguard designs.

And a lot of cool action shots of FJs are not in a location where they would be off use.

In the desert, on groomed recreational trails, etc. they do no good.

On narrow skid roads, overflowing log trails, narrow trails around the farm,
They do what they are supposed to,
Keep branches and stuff from breaking your head lights.

A design mounted to your bumper, winch mount, etc, seems to work.

Not so much the cosmetic types that block headlight output or wrap up and around and mess your vehicle up.

I swear I saw a set that mounted off a steel bumper that looked like the way to go.

I will probably do sliders with a step.

I have not decided if I will do the factory tow or a steel rear bumper.

The factory roof rack looks classic for an FJ, but aside from looks I appreciate the other links and options.

I also meant to ask, where is the back up camera?
I was going to do a Jerry can mount on the spare.
Aesthetics are always personal. I feel like the factory FJ roof rack looks like someone went to a home improvement store and bought a bunch of ABS plastic piping and put together a roof rack. To my eye, it looks very clunky and chunky. Additionally, the height can definitely come into play depending on your garage. Throw on small lift, larger wheels/tires...next thing you know you can get it in the garage...of course I have a pretty low height garage doors. When I bought my FJ new the OEM accessory roof rack was $629. No way would I pay that esp when aftermarket racks initially were in the $500-$800 range and there were a LOT of complaints about how useless the FJ factory rack was.

Some of the aftermarket racks are outrageously priced these days.

Ill just note that a Jerry Can mount on the spare tire rack is a whole lotta weight attached to the rack and door. Many upgrade tires and wheels putting them at about 85+ lbs for a 285 70 R17 tire/wheel on the spare tire mount and then throw on another 40 lbs for a 5 gal can...and then do some serious pounding offroad and you got a bunch of weight working against that spare mount and rear door. I mount my extra fuel up on my Prinsu Roof Rack using the Rotopax fuel containers....but there are other solutions as well.

On rear bumpers...if you go that route you can get spare tire mounts and fuel can mounts, etc. But again, you are talking some big dollars for one ($1100 to $2500 depending on what you want). Depending on what you are doing such as towing...might make the most sense to just go with the factory tow hitch and harness.

FYI...are you a Pontiac Musclecar guy given the reference to the Pontiac Ram Air III motor in your name? I have a 70 Buick GSX Stage 1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts