Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to decide on a lighting system for the roof, and I think I've finally made up my mind. For me, HID lights are not necessary. If you are driving under 75mph on the trail, you really don't NEED HIDs. They are awesome, of course, but most of us aren't professional racers.

I think I'm going to go with the 32 or 42 inch (if it fits) light bar. Here is why I want this over HID lights. Very low amp draw, extremely durable, very easy two wire installation, extremely long bulb life, low heat production, and massive lumen output. The 12in bar puts out 3600 lumens, 100 more lumens than a 35W HID and it only draws 4 amps.

So is anyone running these lights? I'd like to know how you like them. Oh, the 42 incher is around $1,500. This is basically the cost of two mid-end HID lights. To get the same lumen output with HIDs would cost thousands of dollars. Hell, many HID lights are over $1000 each! Looks like LED is going to be the wave of the future.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Seems nice, but very pricey for LED's. I would look into other options as well. You don't specifically need HID's for the trail, just good output.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I've been trying to decide on a lighting system for the roof, and I think I've finally made up my mind. For me, HID lights are not necessary. If you are driving under 75mph on the trail, you really don't NEED HIDs. They are awesome, of course, but most of us aren't professional racers.

I think I'm going to go with the 32 or 42 inch (if it fits) light bar. Here is why I want this over HID lights. Very low amp draw, extremely durable, very easy two wire installation, extremely long bulb life, low heat production, and massive lumen output. The 12in bar puts out 3600 lumens, 100 more lumens than a 35W HID and it only draws 4 amps.
Couple of corrections are warranted here. A 35W HID lamp draws under 3 amps, so it is more efficient than the 12" Vison X, and much more efficient than the larger bars (35w / ~14v = 2.5amp). Lumen ratings are not useful unless they are comparing apples to apples, and HID lighting has nothing to do with speed - the lens pattern has a greater affect on the difference in the usefulness of a particular light. I use HID flood / driving lights (2 each) on my Gobi rack, and they are spectacular for very slow speed trail crawling, because the light is spread all over, instead of a pencil thin beam shooting forward. The reliability of high power LEDs in the field is still up for discussion. Anyone who's seen a signal light in LA county can attest to the fact that LEDs burn out sooner than would be expected, and you cannot replace them individually. So, time will tell with the Vision X lights.

A single 42" bar cannot be adjusted for multiple angles like individual lights can be, and doesn't have multiple patterns available. so, IMO, you can tailor 4 individual lights to cover a more diverse area than a single 42" bar will illuminate.

I feel LED lighting will come of age, as the technology and interest grows. But for now, I think the Vision X light bar, while an excellent lighting product, is not as flexible, efficient, or useful for a trail rig as individual HID lights can be.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

So is anyone running these lights? I'd like to know how you like them. Oh, the 42 incher is around $1,500. This is basically the cost of two mid-end HID lights. To get the same lumen output with HIDs would cost thousands of dollars. Hell, many HID lights are over $1000 each! Looks like LED is going to be the wave of the future.

This comes with every light bar....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not pooping on HIDs by any means. Really I'd love to run both, but the cost of the HID lights I'd like is just too high for me to justify. I see your point about the fixed bar being not as versatile and appreciate the input. Perhaps four of the six or eight inch lights would be a better option. I've read a couple articles reviewing these lights and all spoke very highly of them. The lights do put out tons of very white light; I saw pics of them in one of the articles. The testers concluded that the vision x led bars were equal if not better than HID as flood lights. The area where HIDs had the clear advantage was in driving and pencil beams that can reach far ahead. If led lights are this good this early, I'm sure it won't be long before we see tons of LED options. I'm not ready to buy yet anyhow, but I will be interested to see how these are reviewed once they are more widespread.

Larry, thanks for the input. I wasn't trying to say that the LED was more efficient, just that it is efficient in general. Also didn't mean to imply that HID had anything to do with speed. The articles I read just pointed out that if you are doing high speed driving that requires a beam to reach far ahead, LEDs are not a good option and HID is the way to go. For floods, they said both do a very good job. I don't need very bright driving lights, so LEDs look like a possible option for me. Really what appeals is the better affordability of these lights. I just can't get over how expensive and big the HID lights I like are. Even the ones I don't like are very expensive. So again, thanks for the input. When It comes time to actually purchase, there should be even more options. Gotta get new wheels first though.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I'm not pooping on HIDs by any means. Really I'd love to run both, but the cost of the HID lights I'd like is just too high for me to justify. I see your point about the fixed bar being not as versatile and appreciate the input. Perhaps four of the six or eight inch lights would be a better option. I've read a couple articles reviewing these lights and all spoke very highly of them. The lights do put out tons of very white light; I saw pics of them in one of the articles. The testers concluded that the vision x led bars were equal if not better than HID as flood lights. The area where HIDs had the clear advantage was in driving and pencil beams that can reach far ahead. If led lights are this good this early, I'm sure it won't be long before we see tons of LED options. I'm not ready to buy yet anyhow, but I will be interested to see how these are reviewed once they are more widespread.

Larry, thanks for the input. I wasn't trying to say that the LED was more efficient, just that it is efficient in general. Also didn't mean to imply that HID had anything to do with speed. The articles I read just pointed out that if you are doing high speed driving that requires a beam to reach far ahead, LEDs are not a good option and HID is the way to go. For floods, they said both do a very good job. I don't need very bright driving lights, so LEDs look like a possible option for me. Really what appeals is the better affordability of these lights. I just can't get over how expensive and big the HID lights I like are. Even the ones I don't like are very expensive. So again, thanks for the input. When It comes time to actually purchase, there should be even more options. Gotta get new wheels first though.
I think LED lighting is a significant new technology, and I apologize to you if it seemed I was trashing the LEDs. Most who know me know I am a lighting tech freak, so the idea of LED off road lights is fantastic. But the Vision X systems are not much different in price than entry level HID lights - for the $1500 price of a 42" bar, you can buy 4 Eagle Eye or Acro HID lights, which will be more efficient and versatile, IMO, at this time. I'm sure LED technology will improve, and more options will come along - I'm just not convinced it's "there" yet...

But I'm more than willing to be proven wrong....:cheers:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good deal. No apology needed, I wasn't very clear in my first post. Thanks so much for the input. I didn't know there were HIDs available in that price range. Your input is exactly why I love this forum and the folks on it so much. I'm just learning about all this stuff. I've been riding trails all my life, but never got into any tech aspects or moding, so this is all new to me. It is so great to be able to put things out there and get good input from people who really know this stuff. The knowledge and advice found here is priceless. So, I'll look into the HID bulbs you suggest. One cool option may be to run the 22 inch led bar on the front bumper brush guard, and go with the HID up top. Lots of possibilities! Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
LEDS will be old tech in a year or so, Luxim Plasma, are the same size but put out more light . But for now Luxeon LEDs are far superior , bur far far more expensive.

<youtube> YouTube - Plasma Light Bulb

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
LEDS will be old tech in a year or so, Luxim Plasma, are the same size but put out more light . But for now Luxeon LEDs are far superior , bur far far more expensive.

<youtube> YouTube - Plasma Light Bulb

I sell LEDs and they a great seller, but the main issue with LED lighting is its very hard to control the light focus , since a circuit board has to be integrated its really hard to get a reflector between the bulb and circuit board , espcialy if you have a lot of LED bulbs clustered. Also the color temperature of HID is much brighter.
LEDs give off no heat so for a hand held or shop light its a advantage.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I always thought that the high benefit of LED's was the use of them in a situation that electrical use was a factor...ie: how much power they use for the output and time lighted.

I don't have fancy tech terms for lighting, so sorry :lol: But as I can explain, I though that LED's were best because they used very little power, and they could be very bright for most uses. I would love to run my dome lights all night, or light a campsite till the wee hours without worrying about my battery.

Am I wrong here? I understand we are talking about mostly very high output for night driving, but am I also correct that most normal LED's will put out lots of light for a long time?

I was thinking of just using some light bars from Oznium, as they have the strips that are waterproof. I figured that this would be great camp/night lighting.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Too bad they don't make a skinnier one in yellow; it'd be a nice fit in the fake hood vent ;)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts