Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Lexington for a month in August for school; any locals have suggestions on "must-see" things in the area? Don't mind driving a few hours.

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Depends what you're interested in and looking for...

Distilleries - Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace

Natural areas - Red River Gorge, Mammoth Cave

Arts and Crafts - Berea KY

City stuff - Louisville Slugger factory, Frazier Arms Museum

Other stuff - My Old Kentucky Home, State Capital

What are you interested in?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anything outdoors, and if I end up with a lot of free time probably some light wheeling too. I'm thinking probably a weekend trip to Chicago as well.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just arrived last night! Thanks for the tips guys! Loving this sub-100 weather so far.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Lobster is not a Lexington specialty.

If you are foodie, Lexington has done well over the last several years developing local restaurants. Malones and their sister restaurants, Aqua, Sal's etc are really good. Downtown is doing well, you can hit Sawyers, The Village idiot, nick Ryan's, grey goose and many others. Also a few local brews have popped up, west sixth street is one good one.

But what makes KY is bourbon and horses. The distilleries are awesome. Woodford and Makers are the best tours of the grounds. But you can go to many others to get the tasting and see what makes them different. And for horses, if you want a experience you will never forget, head to keenland at sunrise and watch the horses workout. It is amazing.

And lastly, drive thru campus. It is fantastic this time of year.

Casey

·
Registered
516 Posts
Amen to the following:
- The Village Idiot restaurant is awesome
- West Sixth Brewing. Their IPA is one of my favorite brews.
- Bourbon & horses

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just under 2 weeks left here! Already been to Buffalo Trace and Mammoth Cave NP. Went to Woodford Reserve and West 6th Brewing this morning. Red River probably this Friday. Keenland has a Breeder's Cup Tour that I might check out sometime next week. Last minute suggestions?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some pics from the trip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Very cool. Let me know when you get up this way and ready to wheel.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
IF you ever need to head south check out the abandoned train tunnel in Wartburg TN. Its 3 hours from Lexington, but probably not worth driving JUST for it.

The trail to it ts near 1855 Catoosa Rd, Wartburg TN

1 - 17 of 17 Posts