Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

201 - 220 of 498 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I generally do not care much for the look of the SF FJ's (not a fan of yellow) but this one I like. Quality build!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Thanks much UncleB - :cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
The Joshua Tree trip looked like fun. There's almost no way NOT to have fun out there. Good report.

As to the Pico Chairs, I saw Vince's in action and they're on my Christmas list. It remains to be seen if I've been naughty enough or nice enough to find them under the tree. :pimp:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #204 (Edited)
Vegas Snow '08

It all started with a trip to pick up my son's birthday present from nevadaesh (Gary), who had graciously agreed to help us out (thanks again Gary).

What was Jesse's present? Rattle Snake Cowboy boots -

We met up with Gary around 10 am in Vegas, who had picked up our package for us, and we discussed our possible journey back to LA.

The I-15 was scheduled to be shut down out near the state line for some serious construction until about 2pm, so Gary suggested an alternate way back to Baker from Las Vegas.

What we didn't know at that moment, was just how crazy the storm was going to get over the next several hours (= snow).

We left Gary just after 10 am in north Vegas and headed out toward Red Rock Canyon -

We paid 5 bux to get into the park and drove around the maybe 10 mile loop through the area -

Here is the first shot of Jesse with his new boots - oh yeah - they are workin -

You can't really tell from this shot but it was already snowing pretty hard (OK I'm a SoCal boy - :))

Then we headed over to The Old Spanish Trail that goes through the desert from Blue Diamond out near Baker California - again the boots are workin -

After an hour or so in the heavy snow and being completely alone, we started to get a little concerned - middle of nowhere in a snow storm.

This trail is probably real easy usually, but it was pretty crazy for us this day -

After a couple of hours we came across Highway 161, and decided the storm was just too nutty to continue on, so we headed over to I-15 to see if we could get back to LA -

Well, because of the storm (and the blasting), they closed down the road, and made everyone stop at Primm (the State line) until noon the next day - It was snowing pretty heavily at this point -

We got stuck at Whisket Pete's (or Hell on Earth). 3 hours standing in line for a room that cost $19.25 a night.

We lost another 100 bux on video slot machines along with several hundred other angry travelers -

The next morning it was not snowing - view from the room

The rumor was that the road would be opened at noon, and we could get back home -

The road was indeed opened at noon, and we all headed back to SoCal -

We actually had a great time and fun adventure - and the boots were worth it-

-

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
sounds like an adventure you two will be talking about for a long time to come, Vince! Great story.

Ps - coming from a Bostonian, that snow 'ain't nothin' :)

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
The Joshua Tree trip looked like fun. There's almost no way NOT to have fun out there. Good report.

As to the Pico Chairs, I saw Vince's in action and they're on my Christmas list. It remains to be seen if I've been naughty enough or nice enough to find them under the tree. :pimp:
We did have a great trip out to Joshua Tree Larry -

Hey - What do you know about the Hauser Genode Beds?

I think we will be taking a trip out there next week -

Do you want to come with us?

sounds like an adventure you two will be talking about for a long time to come, Vince! Great story.

Ps - coming from a Bostonian, that snow 'ain't nothin' :)
Thanks Jason - :lol:

-

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Vince, did you get a chance to test out your RUD Grip 4x4 chains? Any clearance issues?

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
No I haven't actually put them on all around yet.

I have got to do that - :)

-

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Vince, really glad you made it. I've been wondering about your trip. Got you voice mail so I knew you were alive. Just wondering which road you took to get to Primm. Wow, you were off the beaten path, out in the middle of nowhere. Good write up.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Yeah Gary,, we followed your directions out onto the Old Spanish Trail, but because it was snowing so hard, when we came across Highway 161, we took it back over to the 15 which put us just a short distance from Primm.

It was truly terrifying and fun at the same time.

I'm sure that trail is pretty easy on most any other day.

I would love to do the entire trail someday, all the way to near Baker.

:cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
RUD - Grip 4x4 Chains

UPDATE: After more feed back and information, I will only be running these on the rear wheels, and then only when absolutely necessary.

After going over the Cajon Pass last week in a monster snow storm, I decided to finally test fit my snow chains and carry them with me for the duration of the winter.

I bought these from Bill Burke via his web site.

4x4 Snow Chains article by Bill Burke

I had seen Bill demonstrate these just after I bought the FJ, on one of his training trips.

They are a little tricky to figure out at first, but when I remembered Bill suggesting to drive up on a Brick or small rock (I used a short piece of wooden post), they went on very easily (I think Bill said he carries a Brick in his rig for this purpose).

They fit very well with no issues.

Here you can see there is still room between the UCA and the chains.

I did drive around a bit and turn the wheel hard left and right, and everything checks out fine.

:bigthumb:

-

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thanks for the report Vince! Glad to hear this chain works well and is easy to put on. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Hauser Geode Beds

12/26/08

My son Jesse is into Rock Hunting and found out about the Hauser Geode Beds near Blythe California.

My wife Claudia, her son Matt, my son Jesse and Titan the Cane Corso and Nicky the Pitbull all jumped into my FJ for the trip.

My Sister, her Husband and their dog June came along, as did my Bother-in-law Ron and his son Matt.

The trip was mostly about rock hunting and less about trails, but I did get a few shots to share here.

This is the grated road out to the Coon Hollow campground.

Here is a shot of us digging for geodes.

The geodes are found in ash pockets that are found in this area.

Jesse and Titan digging for treasure.

The area is beautiful (that's Ron's TT).

Nicky watching the action.

There are lots of trails like this out there.

Heading back to the campground after day one dig.

Another trail shot.

Our campsite.

It was very cold out there the first day.

Peggy and Titan.

A couple of nice shots of Titan.

Jesse a little warmer.

Mat took this shot from inside a cave.

Relaxing at the dig.

Matt looking for a good spot.

Peggy and Matt, all packed up and looking for Fire Agates.

Sorry I don't have and pictures of the geodes we found or the fire agates.

We all had a good time and plan on going back sometime.

-

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
That looks like a great time! How was the hunt? I didn't see any pics of the find. The dogs are magnificent. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
My Forum Grill Badge arrived today.

I want to thank everyone who helped in this effort - especially Pete.

The vendor did a great job as well.

My rig is super dirty right now, but the Forum Badge is all clean and shiny - :) .

:bigthumb:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
:redblob::blueblob::redblob::blueblob::redblob:

-

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Nice Vince. I need to get some chains myself for the Raptor. I'm going to have to look into those on Burks web site. Nice review. :cheers:

Tell Claudia, Anita and I say hi :wave:

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Sorry to hear about all the ice damage at the house Mike.

I haven't really wheeled very hard with these chains yet, but they seem to be well made and fairly easy to get on and off.

Claudia says hey back - :cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #220

This is some new artwork I recently did for Sedonafest '09.

-

201 - 220 of 498 Posts