Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

301 - 320 of 498 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Summit #3 Road Trip

July 11 – 26, 2009

3079 miles roundtrip from our home in Southern California to Grand Junction Colorado, Salida Colorado, Gunnison Colorado, Ouray Colorado, Grand Mesa Colorado, Moab Utah and Flagstaff Arizona.
The first day we made it all the way to Grand Junction before stopping at a cheap motel for the night. The next day we went to Salida to check it out. My sister and brother in law own a house very near Salida and we wanted to see what all the excitement was about.
Kyakers on the Arkansas River right in the middle of town.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

On top of Cumberland Pass near Gunnison.

A great trail we found in Gunnison.

This trail got pretty muddy and at one point we descended a long step hill and started to slide sideways before I decided to get off the brakes and just roll and try to toboggan down as best I could.
We made it down without an incident, but a short time later the trail suddenly ended.

We had to go back out the same way we came in, but this time up the slick mud hill had me a little concerned. We had the winch and lots of Aspens, so we knew we would eventually get out. But first we had to turn around.
This is a shot of how far back I had to go before turning the tires left or right had any effect. I literally had my tires turned full stop, and the ruts just held the truck in.

We got turned around and tooled right back up the muddy hills very easily. We definitely want to head back to Gunnison and explore the area in more detail.
After Gunnison we drove to the 3rd annual FJ Summit in Ouray Colorado.
On Wednesday morning we ran the Alpine Loop by ourselves to get ready for Saturday morning when we were scheduled to lead a group at 8 am. We didn’t see another sole for many hours.

We did run into these guys near the start of Cinnamon Pass

On Thursday July 16th (2009) we drove Imogene Pass with Bob Brown (trail leader). I got confused about the start time and we initially missed the group rolling out of town, but eventually caught up with them not too far into the trail.

On Friday we went out on our own again and went out to American Basin. We had not been there and would suggest everyone include this short side trip into their Alpine Loop run. It only takes another 20 or 30 minutes to see, and the flower show and the scenery was outstanding.

On Saturday morning we lead the Alpine Loop group that left at 8 am. We had 5 rigs in all, and it took us over 8 hours to complete )including and hour lunch break in Lake City).

Titan and a Healer playing in the snow at the top of Engineer Pass.

After the Summit we headed up to check out Grand Mesa. It was very beautiful but the Mosquito’s drove us out after only one day.

We then headed out to Moab for some more wheeling. The first day we went solo and did the Hidden Canyon Overlook trail and the Rainbow Terrace Trail.

Next next day we met Jake (TrailBus) at the City Market and joined his group run up to the Top of the World. Thanks for a great run Jake, we hadn’t been up there and loved it.

The following day we drove to Flagstaff to visit some friends on the way home and spent the night at their home. That night we got a call from home telling us our beautiful little sweet potato pit bull Nicky was very sick and later that night she passed. We drove home the next day.

She will be missed.
-

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Vince,
Great shots! Remind me to follow you next year after you leave the Summit!

Although we didn't get much time to chat, my wife had a great time talking with your wife! Next year, Vince, I want to be on your trail! (Just try to stay away from the "crack of dawn" 8am runs, OK?) :)

Again, fantastic photos! :cheers:
Bob

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Vince,
So sorry to hear about Nicky, she was a beautiful dog. It's so sad to loose a wonderful companion like her.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Thanks so much guy's.

-

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Beautiful photos Vince. :bigthumb: :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Vince,

It was great to meet you! Hope ya'll had as much fun as I did! :bigthumb:

Sorry to hear about Nicky, I suspect nothing but happy memories.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Big Bear Mine Tour

Saturday August 8th, 2009

Thanks to Mike and Tony for putting it together for everyone.

We had not been out on this side of Big bear before and really enjoyed it.

Here are a few of my shots from the day.

Great Willys

Thugasaur on the trail.

Thugasaur and Bob with his awesome trailer in tow.

Giant Joshua trees

Near the end of the run.

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Got a new set of BFG All Terrains today, 285/70/17.

The last set served me so well (over 50K miles) I decided to replace them with exactly the same set up (except no white lettering this time).

I got a good deal on them at Discount Tire (American Tire here in Orange County California).

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Here are a couple of shots of my new Rickocet Lower Control Arm Skids installed.

-

I am impressed with these on several levels.

One, the service, speed of delivery, packaging and the fact that all the hardware was there with instructions was refreshing, and a pleasant surprise.

Two, the fabrication and fit is impeccable.

Three, the price was such that I could not resist.

Well done.

Now we shall see how they perform and hold up.

I love how they look and the added protection makes my confidence level in my rig go up.

:bigthumb:

-

·
Registered
169 Posts
Your rig is amazing and definitely inspiritation for me and mine. I have had your picture from the, Joshua Tree Brooklyn Mine Trail, ever since i started looking for my FJ. Just wanted to tell you your rig is awesome and keep up the great build thread

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Thanks much cheddar.

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
At work on the 20th Century Fox back lot.

:)

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
The ultimate off road transport...

... and only one horsepower.

That's my wife Claudia on her horse Gonzo.

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Bull Frog Trail - 11/07/09

Thanks to DustPark (Brent) and Eric for putting this run together and spotting me (us) through the toughest trail I have yet run.

214 miles round trip door to door from my home in Fullerton, it was a great (full) day trip.

My rig is really not set up for this kind of a trail, but with a lot of guidance I did manage to get through it without too much trail damage.

The first obstacle is a squeeze and I encountered the rock on the passenger side leaving a small ding/dent at the bottom rear end of my back door where it meets the body. It isn't bad at all and does not effect opening or closing the door.

I also bashed my ARB bumper pretty good and scrapped a small area of paint off the passenger side corner (no big deal), and I scrapped my snorkel on another rock when tilting and scratched it up real nice.

I got stuck twice bad enough to need to get yanked off (both times I was high centered on my BudBuilt skids (that's what they are for right?).

Anyway, Bull Frog is an awesome trail.

If you have a 3" lift and 33's, you can make it through with a good spotter, and an other vehicle for support (trail damage is a real possibility).

Here are some pictures from the day.

I got stuck here coming over the top of this big ledge.

Just after this shot I was stuck.

That's the Bull Frog.

You can kinda see the damage to my rear door/quarter panel here (minor).

Close up of battle scars (the rails are doing their job).

Doug lifting his leg.

Bumper scrape.

Brent's rig is really built for this kind of rock crawling.

Biff coming over a nasty gap.

Rock rash on my snorkel.

It was a beautiful day.

I'm seriously considering going to 35's at this point, and I really need to do the hack where I can use both my Locker and the A-Trac at the same time (anyone?).

:cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Thanks much Hagan - :cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Here are some other shots from the Bull Frog trail run (Thanks Doug).

Stuck on a ledge that was just a little too tall for the Brigadier (waiting for a tug).

Dropping down over a nasty gap.

Another smaller ledge.

-

301 - 320 of 498 Posts