Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

141 - 160 of 498 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I'm thinking about having some of these keychains made - anyone interested?

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Thanks Mark - you get a free one if they are ever realized - I like your enthusiasm (and immediate response) - :lol:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Here's a nice shot of my good friend Marc in Bagdad with one of the Navy rigs.

Stay safe Brother - :cheers:

Nice wiener skid btw (the big one?) - :wave:

Here's that logo for you...

-

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
Parunuweap / Grand Staircase Trail Report - 1295 miles round trip.

I want to start off by thanking uphill (Larry) for putting together another stellar plan and toughing through a bout of Malaria, a broken shock, and showing us the way forward.

My son Jesse and I had a great time.

We all met up at the Holiday Inn Express in Kanab Utah and headed over to Houston’s (restaurant) for a meet and greet dinner and our pre-run briefing.

The next morning we headed out toward the Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park for our first run out through Parunuweap Canyon from Elephant Gap to Highway 89 near Mt. Carmel Junction.

The trail is about 20 miles long and took about 4 hours to run.

The sand was not nearly as deep as when Larry and I (and my wife Claudia) did this same trail back in May.

Here is a great shot of MojoDog (Gaylon) at the beginning of the run working his way out through a flat area on the pink sand trail.

That’s the Scorpion out in front.

Tit-Cruiser (John) was behind me.

The trail heads out toward the backside of Zion.

It was a beautiful day.

We thought about going down this steep section but decided to go around instead

There were a few slick rock sections as well.

My son Jesse joined us on the run and had a great time.

Spertierra (Steve) parked a the spot we had lunch (this is the same place I backed into a tree and destroyed my spare last time Larry and I ran the trail).

The Scorpion coming around a switchback.

Mojodog (Gaylon) same spot.

Lunch break.

Nevadaesh (Gary, Paula and Sydney) comin-round-the-bend.

Mojodog (Gaylon) near the spot we took a group shot.

Tit-Crusier (John) left his mark on the trail. The one on the left is from his trail pipe (you can see a little carbon) and the one on the right is from his D-Shackle mounted in his tow receiver (tread lightly dude :lol:).

Spertierra (Steve) cresting a hill.

Group shot, Nevadaesh (Gary, Paula and Sydney), Uphill (Larry), Mojodog (Gaylon), me / volhoo (Vince and Jesse), Tit-Cruiser (John), and Spretierra (Steve)

Just around the corner from this spot I got stuck!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
This is the same place I got stuck the last time I ran this trail with Larry in May.

I didn’t get any shots myself because I was too busy winching my rig back onto the trail (seriously I almost went off the damn cliff this time).

I will post other folks shots of this as soon as I see some (I hope somebody got some shots of this)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here is a shot that Larry took of my rig in the deep sand and slipping off the trail. It was actually much scarier than what it looks like here. Jesse almost bailed out.

Here we are winching back up onto the trail (thanks for the shot Larry).

Here's a shot that Nevadaesh took from below, you can see how steep it was (thanks Gary)

Shot from above (Thanks again Gary).

This was the second time my winch (Warn M8000) had literally saved my rig.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #147 (Edited)
`Regrouping just after the rescue effort.

Passing by a great little ranch were we first see the Virgin River (this cow had never seen a Scorpion that large).

There was almost no water in the river this time making the numerous crossings much easier than the last time through.

At the end of the trail, we got back onto Highway 89 and headed out toward Hose Rock in the Grand Staircase – Escalante National Monument

Here is a nice shot of Nevadaesh (Gary) kicking up dust as we looked for a camp site in the House Rock area.

This area is right on the Arizona/Utah boarder and you cross back and forth several times.

Our campsite at House Rock.

The next morning we headed over to the Paria River and visited the place where they filmed The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

This area is awesome and worth seeing (IMHO)

Down on the Paria River.

Another line up shot.

Spertierra’s rig hanging off the bank.

We then headed over to Cottonwood Canyon and started our trip through the Grand Staircase.

We encountered a couple of cowboys and Larry chatted with them briefly.

We stopped and explored a small slot canyon along the way. Jesse found a small geode in the wash and was a very happy boy.

The scenery was incredible at every turn.

Because of the blown drivers side rear shock, the Scorpion was briefly stuck on this ledge, but the front wheels eventually pulled him off.

I actually didn’t get a lot of shots of the trail, but here is a great one of Jesse along the way.

This trail was very difficult and provided a lot of thrills along the way. I am hoping that the other folks got some good pictures of the journey.

We did see this sign a good 2 hours into the run, but decided to proceed anyway.

Here is a nice shot of Nevadaesh booking through a great little part of the trail just after Death Ridge and some really tricky sections. We where all breathing a little easier at this point.

Here we are at trails end (or near trails end) just after coming across Death Ridge (looks really easy from this shot doesn’t it?).

Airing back up in Escalante at the end of the day.

Because a big storm was coming into southern Utah, we all decided to go our separate ways, and after heading back to Kanab and having another great dinner at Houston’s with Larry, Gaylon, Steve and Jesse, we headed back home.

Again, thanks to everyone for a great time and to Larry for organizing everything for us.

Jesse and I had a great time and will have this wonderful memory for the rest of our lives.

This is exactly what I was hoping to do when I bought the FJ back in April ’06.

We look forward to our next adventure.

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I love this shot (thanks Larry)...

-

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Great shots Vince and I'm again very envious of the missed experience. BTW, not sure if you changed anything but I switched from viewing with an Apple to a Dell and all are visible to me now. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Thanks Mark, you should plan a road trip out this way sometime.

The West is a big place.

I just checked and the trip was 1295 miles around trip from my home in Fullerton California.

I took 9 hours to drive to Kanab (stopping to eat and get gas).

-

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Thanks Mark, you should plan a road trip out this way sometime.

The West is a big place.

I just checked and the trip was 1295 miles around trip from my home in Fullerton California.

I took 9 hours to drive to Kanab (stopping to eat and get gas).

-
I made the trip for the summit and that just about killed me. It took me 2 months to come up with enough cash and I spent it all in gas in a week :) Im just hopeing I can make it out next year but this time I plan to stay for moab. That was my only regret from this years summit

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Hey Volhoo your rig looks better everytime I come back to check it out!!!
I would love to come out to big sky country and wheel with you all.
Like everyone says the Damned fuel is just killing all of us and from where I live
It could be thousands pumped into the tank just to get there and back.

Again your rig shows the love you give it, Nice Job!!!

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Looks liek you all had a great time Vince. I wish I could have joined you all. :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yall are some troopers! I wish I could have made it but I just saw the expedition too late. I never even thought to check the expedition folder, from now on I'll keep an eye out just in case. Even though my reasoning for wanting to go on this expedition was two-fold (wheeling & geology).

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Looks liek you all had a great time Vince. I wish I could have joined you all. :(
Yeah, we had a great time Josh. Maybe next time...

Yall are some troopers! I wish I could have made it but I just saw the expedition too late. I never even thought to check the expedition folder, from now on I'll keep an eye out just in case. Even though my reasoning for wanting to go on this expedition was two-fold (wheeling & geology).
The geology in the area was truly really amazing. My son actually found a small geode in Cottonwood canyon.

:cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
It's not just the magnificent vistas, it's not just the difficult trails, and it's not just the geology and hydrology, though all those are great reasons to take the FJ's out. The over-arching joy of doing this is the company you keep. It's about shared experience, about doing things with people you like. Vince (VOLHOO), his fine family and his FJ, the Brigadier, make taking the rig out on the road less traveled, special. At least that's the way I feel about it.

Thanks Vince.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Thank you Larry...

-

·
Banned
752 Posts
Nice shots Vince, were you in Long Beach this past Saturday on Cherry? I came out of a bmw dealership to drop off a buddy and got a way from an fj exactly like yours with the star on the side? If so, nice seeing yah!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Nice shots Vince, were you in Long Beach this past Saturday on Cherry? I came out of a bmw dealership to drop off a buddy and got a way from an fj exactly like yours with the star on the side? If so, nice seeing yah!
Thanks amaesing, yeah that was me, I was just dropping my son off at his house after our trip.

I saw you as well, your rig is awesome - :cheers:

-

141 - 160 of 498 Posts