Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 180 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Vince,
Thanks for the nice report and pics. Getting stuck is never fun, but I always seem to learn something for next time it happens.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
man, i wish i was out there with you guys. btw, vince, i spotted you again today, at around 12:45pm. you were heading west bound on huntington, just past mountain.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
Oh yeah, I didn't see you this time.

Lunch at Alfredo's...

-

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Beautiful shots and great write up. Thanks for sharing with us this grand adventure.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #167

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Great stuff, great pics...I have one showing Jesse holding up the spine he found. I'll get it to you.
Cool, thanks Gaylon - :bigthumb:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
Overland Journal

Got my Hat and a couple Stickers today.

Thanks for the note too Chris.

:bigthumb:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Thanks Dragon - can't wait to see your shots - :cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Nice, I'm sure we will be seeing some pictures soon - :bigthumb:

-

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #178 (Edited)
Winch Cable Straightened

My winch line was not rewound properly after my self rescue effort in southern Utah earlier this month, and I noticed that there were a couple of nasty kinks and twists in the cable at the time.

FJoel suggested that pulling the line back out and carefully rewinding the cable tightly around the drum would (maybe) pull the kinks and twists out of the cable.

Today I decided to give it a try.

I actually gave it a good long (time) stretch which seemed to really help as well (see the pics).

It worked for me - :bigthumb:

Thanks for the tip Joel - :cheers:

I think I'll be keeping the steel cable for a while now...

-

When my back tire hit the curb between my driveway and the lawn - it put the full weight of the rig on the line - I let I set there like that for about an hour - and it pulled out all the kinks real nice

I also painted (red) the ARB skid that's under the bumper and ties into the Bud skid - I like it :).

-

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Looking good Vince. That nice that the winch line was able to be fixed/unkinked.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)
BorregoFest '08

We had a great time at BorregoFest again this year.

I went out on Thursday afternoon (10/23/08), set up camp at the Palm Canyon campground (site #95). The light was like butterscotch.

I had the entire campground all to myself that first night (it was actually kind of creepy).

The sun was going down so I decided to head out to Coyote Canyon.

This shot is at the start of the Coyote Canyon run. The light was still nice so I decided to stop and take a glamour shot of the rig.

It got dark right after this and I didn't get anymore shots of the run. I did go all the was up to sheep camp and saw Jesusgar up there, and gone2surf was just pulling in as I was leaving as well.

The next day (Friday 10/24/08) I was sheduled to join Ollie on his run out to Truckhaven.

We met up at the Palm Canyon campsite and did a caravan out to the trailhead.

I was following Scott (gon2surf)

I then followed Ollie through the Arch. A really tight little bit a trail. I ended up bending my Highlift Jack that was mounted to my front bumper (see next post). Here is Ollie heading in.

Follow the leader.

Truckhaven was much more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Thanks for leading us thorough the maze Ollie - :bigthumb:

My wife Claudia made it out later Friday night (and Harley, one of our 3 Dogs), and the next morning we hit the trail - 10-25 - 2008: Oriflamme/Tapiado/Split Mtn Run.

It was another beautiful day.

How can you go off roading and stay on the roads at the same time?

Raygunn coming through a tricky spot.

Lots of dust in the washes.

This trail got pretty tough in a few spots as well.

Thanks for the spot Eric (and for leading the run as well).

Rear tire stuffed all the way up.

Tom spotting Raygun.

Martyr dropping down the ledge.

Harley resting while I aired up at the end of the day

Let's do it again next year!

:cheers:

-

161 - 180 of 498 Posts