Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
You need test the cat when it's hot. Take it for a short drive and then use and IR temperature gun and point it at the pipe going into the cat and coming out of the cat. The 'exit' reading should be noticeably higher than the 'entry' reading if the cat is working. The more spirited the driving the higher the temp differential.

DEWFPO

DEWFPO

FRONT CATS:
(Bank2) Driveside before the cat was 625F and after was 465F
(Bank1) Passangerside before the cat was 623F and after was 501F

REAR CATS:
(Bank2) Driverside before the cat was 455F and after was 315F
(Bank1) Passangerside before the cat was 495F and after was 460F!

So to me i think its running HOTTER on (bank 1) due to Bank2.

So do you think it is clogged up? Broken?
Idea's, opinion's, Educated Suggests PLZ.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
FRONT CATS:
(Bank2) Driveside before the cat was 625F and after was 465F
(Bank1) Passangerside before the cat was 623F and after was 501F

REAR CATS:
(Bank2) Driverside before the cat was 455F and after was 315F
(Bank1) Passangerside before the cat was 495F and after was 460F!

So to me i think its running HOTTER on (bank 1) due to Bank2.

So do you think it is clogged up? Broken?
Idea's, opinion's, Educated Suggests PLZ.
Cats don't often clog up. If they did you'd notice it in the performance.

Were your numbers immediately after a good hot run or just idling?

How many miles on your FJ and do you have any engine mods?

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Older thread although I'd like to share my experience. My sled is a 2007 FJ Crawler with the cat back exhaust from the Crawler option list added by a previous owner before we bought it last year.

There is a switch with connector mounted on the floor behind the brake pedal that is not protected nor very rugged. It senses when the brake pedal is applied. If it is faulty then the dashboard lights up because the VSC, TRAC, etc. are not enabled because the sensors for those systems cannot get brake pedal info.

The problem was intermittent until I put some rubber floor mats in that had no eyelets for the hooks to hold them in place. The driver's side one kept creeping up and hitting this switch until it finally gave out, turning my intermittent problem into a permanent one.

Local independent shop found it, R&R'd it, and now it's all good.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine is so weird. I have the slippery car vsc and trac lights on only. But they only come on as soon as the car rolls. If i start it and dont move it.. theres nothing. When i run a reader.. nothing. No Codes. Im not sure what it could be.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Greetings FJers,

Mine have come on and a search about it brought this thread up. The last post was a year and a half ago?? Maybe we have a solution?

The code comes back as 'catalyst' - should I be checking my gas cap (really?) and or gaskets in the air intake? How about the brake switch?

How about this: if the lights are on does that mean I am driving without traction control, etc?? So many lights:-/ Seems like 'check engine' would be enough for an o2 sensor or cat.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think this is a common issue with all FJ Cruisers. All the lights come on for just a check engine light.

I've been having this issue for years at random moments and it's all tied to the MAF sensor. I've had both TRD intakes, replaced the sensor twice. The only thing I think it can be is the little foam seal between the sensor and the hose. Can't seem to find that part. I'm about ready to take the sensor apart again and just take a picture to the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this happen on a recent road trip from Texas to Oregon. Descending into SLC, all these lights came on at once. Took it to a local dealer in Murray, UT. They found codes for the cam gear and oil control valve. They said it would be a three day job to inspect/repair the cam gear and they didn't have a replacement OCV in stock but the computer test showed it to be functioning properly. They reset the lights and advised that it would be safe to drive but to have it checked out when I got to Oregon.

The Bend, OR dealer said if there were no lights on then there were no codes to read and the truck was okay.

4500 rough miles later (80+ mph on the highway and 100 miles of off-roading) the lights have not come back on and the truck is running great.

The dealer charged me $124 for the diagnostic and reset, but I was on the road and had few options.

My advice: have the lights reset and drive it. It there is really a problem then the light will come back on and the codes will show up again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know the thread is older but I have a 2007 stock 4x4 auto transmission with roughly 67,000 miles and the same thing happened. It has been really cold in the mornings so I've been warming up the car (for my benefit) 5 minutes before I leave for work. After a few days of doing so I went to drive off and realized all the check engine and traction lights were on. I rushed through the manual and it said the brakes would work, googled this forum so got a fresh tank of gas and tightened the gas cap and hoped that solved the issue. Checked the wiring near the brake pedal and didn't see any red flags. It's been about a week and lights are still on and mechanic is looking at it tomorrow.
Before all this happened... the previous day it was incredibly windy and a few days prior I had filled up at a different gas station than I normally do. Only issue my mechanic has seen in the past is an ever so slight oil leak but wasn't too worried about it.
I see everyone is at that mileage... any known recalls? I'll post an update with what the mechanic finds.

·
Admin
7,098 Posts
I know the thread is older but I have a 2007 stock 4x4 auto transmission with roughly 67,000 miles and the same thing happened. It has been really cold in the mornings so I've been warming up the car (for my benefit) 5 minutes before I leave for work. After a few days of doing so I went to drive off and realized all the check engine and traction lights were on. I rushed through the manual and it said the brakes would work, googled this forum so got a fresh tank of gas and tightened the gas cap and hoped that solved the issue. Checked the wiring near the brake pedal and didn't see any red flags. It's been about a week and lights are still on and mechanic is looking at it tomorrow.
Before all this happened... the previous day it was incredibly windy and a few days prior I had filled up at a different gas station than I normally do. Only issue my mechanic has seen in the past is an ever so slight oil leak but wasn't too worried about it.
I see everyone is at that mileage... any known recalls? I'll post an update with what the mechanic finds.
Nothing you describe should affect your traction control.
How is your alignment?
Any branches or stuff get blown up into your undercarriage or did you drive over anything on that windy day?
How about your tires.... any flat? Lol..... yeah I'm running out of ideas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mechanic said the same thing others have stated... for some reason the check engine light also triggers the other lights for no rhyme or reason...
Code PO 348 which he said was "Bank 2 cam sensor problem" he said it was a weird code so he hunted down a sensor just in case... in the meanwhile they removed the Cam cover and found wires chewed by rodents... (remember I said it's been cold...) They repaired the wires, cleared the code and all is well. I was grateful the whole ordeal only cost me $99.
He said he's heard of other people pinning dryer sheets up in the corners of the hood (so they don't catch fire) to keep the rodents out... anyone else have experience keeping the critters away? We have lots of cold days ahead and incidentally the last couple of weeks they have been outsmarting my dogs and my husband's traps. (The cat is worthless...)

·
Admin
7,098 Posts
Mechanic said the same thing others have stated... for some reason the check engine light also triggers the other lights for no rhyme or reason...
Code PO 348 which he said was "Bank 2 cam sensor problem" he said it was a weird code so he hunted down a sensor just in case... in the meanwhile they removed the Cam cover and found wires chewed by rodents... (remember I said it's been cold...) They repaired the wires, cleared the code and all is well. I was grateful the whole ordeal only cost me $99.
He said he's heard of other people pinning dryer sheets up in the corners of the hood (so they don't catch fire) to keep the rodents out... anyone else have experience keeping the critters away? We have lots of cold days ahead and incidentally the last couple of weeks they have been outsmarting my dogs and my husband's traps. (The cat is worthless...)
Peppermint oil (the actual concentrated type) has been successful according to some.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
My 2008 has all the lights on and, according to the dealer who spent 4.5 hrs last time, my ECM is losing communication with the CAN bus.
My ABS is not active
My airbag system is not active
My VSC and traction control are not active
All per the dealer...

Occasionally the ABS light is off, but comes on after driving a while.

For a period of time the brake light was on, but went off.
Yesterday it came on again.

Ive ordered the brake light switch and will replace it today.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
New brake light switch didn't fix anything.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
It did not...
So the Airbag module was fried due to having water in it.
Note: watercrossings will fry them.....

The VSC, ABS etc still not fixed as of yet - they've had the FJ since Sept 6th...

Will post as I find out causes.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts