Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Nothing bad can be said about Subaru---unless its a Justy LOL :D :D

Percy said:
Also note that when you activate 4 hi or 4 lo you are not only turning off VSC, but also ABS. Abs can be detrimental in limited traction environments as it was designed for flat dry surfaces.

Enjoy.
\\

Percy, are you sure that ABS is off in 4H????

Kansas Law Dog said:
t5gt - as I understand it the features VSC and ABS are active in all scenarios (2H, 4H and 4L on the AT and H, HL and LL on the MT), except when the rear locker is engaged. VSC and ABS remain active in 4L or LL (depending on transmission) when ATRAC is activated (only works in low range). However, VSC and ABS (and ATRAC) are deactivated when the rear locker is engaged. Also, the rear locker works in either H or L range.
Kansas,

VSC shuts off in 4H and 4L with auto trans. But have never heard or read except percy's post about ABS. I do not believe ABS shuts off. Also Atrac and locker can only be used in low range but not at same time. My question was really about ABS shutting off.

t5gt said:
Also Atrac and locker can only be used in low range but not at same time.
I do not own an FJ yet, but the statement about the rear differential lock only being usable in low range does not fit with the Toyota website for 4x2's. If you build a 4x2 (which has not low range) it is possible to add a rear differential lock that means it works in high range. Okay, so if the rear lock works in high range on a 4x2, why wouldn't it work in high range on the 4x4, in either 2WD or 4WD? I have struggled with this question for a while now. Also, the video of the FJ going up Oldsmobile Hill is with the rear locker, but I didn't think the vehicle was in low range (but I could be wrong about that).

Kansas Law Dog said:
I do not own an FJ yet, but the statement about the rear differential lock only being usable in low range does not fit with the Toyota website for 4x2's. If you build a 4x2 (which has not low range) it is possible to add a rear differential lock that means it works in high range. Okay, so if the rear lock works in high range on a 4x2, why wouldn't it work in high range on the 4x4, in either 2WD or 4WD? I have struggled with this question for a while now. Also, the video of the FJ going up Oldsmobile Hill is with the rear locker, but I didn't think the vehicle was in low range (but I could be wrong about that).
KLD..... the rear diff lock only works in low range on either of the 4X4 systems on the FJ.

I understand the inconsistency between the 4X2 and 4X4, it's the same way on the Tacoma 4x4/Prerunner. The 4x2 prerunner has the possibility of locking, but the 4X4 has to be in low range to activate.

Owner's Manual states:
Before using the rear differential lock system,first shift into low range to see if this is sufficient. If this has no effect, additionally use the rear differential lock system.

The following systems do not operate when the rear differential is locked. It is normal operation for the "ABS" warning light, "VSC OFF" indicator light and "slip indicator" light to be on at the same time:
Anti-lock brake system
Brake Assist system
Vehicle stability control system
Traction control system
Active traction control system (four wheel drive models)

RoverGGM said:
KLD..... the rear diff lock only works in low range on either of the 4X4 systems on the FJ.

I understand the inconsistency between the 4X2 and 4X4, it's the same way on the Tacoma 4x4/Prerunner. The 4x2 prerunner has the possibility of locking, but the 4X4 has to be in low range to activate.

Owner's Manual states:
Before using the rear differential lock system,first shift into low range to see if this is sufficient. If this has no effect, additionally use the rear differential lock system.

The following systems do not operate when the rear differential is locked. It is normal operation for the "ABS" warning light, "VSC OFF" indicator light and "slip indicator" light to be on at the same time:
Anti-lock brake system
Brake Assist system
Traction control system
Rover - Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure that I have posted erroneous information pertaining to this on other threads. Later tonight I will find those posts and correct with edits where appropriate.

RoverGGM said:

Owner's Manual states:

Anti-lock brake system
Brake Assist system
Traction control system
Thanks, my question is answered also. ABS works until you put it in 4L and locked differential. Which makes sense to me. I can also see how you can lock dif on 4x2 cause there is not a 4Low. I wish you could have the option of having Atrack or VSC on in 4H. In winter on snow covered roads I might travel in 4H at times at higher speeds. Would be nice to have some traction or stabilty controls.

Okay!!! I goofed up :( I bought this FJ with the 4 wheel transmission in HL engaged. I am new to 4 wheel driving and bear with my ignorance. I started to feel the luggishness around sharp turns as though the hand breaks were on. I called the salesperson and I was told that MT feels like that. I talked to few people and also extensively browsed this forum and understand from this thread that I have been driving almost 140 miles with HL engaged.

How can I ensure that I havent caused serious damage? Also, how can I approach this with the dealer (My FJ is 3 days old)? Appreciate if you guys can provide some direction.. am worried :(

~Vish

PFJ said:
Did I not read somewhere that you can drive up to 55 mph on HL up to 5th gear on MT?
You can drive up to as fast as you self-preservation instincts will let you in any gear at any time. What would prevent it?

You can shift from 2HI to 4HI at any speed as long as your hand can move the lever into 4HI

The 4x4's with the little dial or pushbutton engagement of transfer case have speed limts on their little electronic actuators.....you get to use your own mental faculties.

t5gt said:
Thanks, my question is answered also. ABS works until you put it in 4L and locked differential. Which makes sense to me. I can also see how you can lock dif on 4x2 cause there is not a 4Low. I wish you could have the option of having Atrack or VSC on in 4H. In winter on snow covered roads I might travel in 4H at times at higher speeds. Would be nice to have some traction or stabilty controls.
You still have ABS, EBD, function in 4HI on the automatic, you still have VSC, etc in 4HI on the MT until you lock the center diff. Just leave your center diff unlocked

edited for accuracy :) 5/23/06 GGM

Vish said:
Okay!!! I goofed up :( I bought this FJ with the 4 wheel transmission in HL engaged. I am new to 4 wheel driving and bear with my ignorance. I started to feel the luggishness around sharp turns as though the hand breaks were on. I called the salesperson and I was told that MT feels like that. I talked to few people and also extensively browsed this forum and understand from this thread that I have been driving almost 140 miles with HL engaged.

How can I ensure that I havent caused serious damage? Also, how can I approach this with the dealer (My FJ is 3 days old)? Appreciate if you guys can provide some direction.. am worried :(

~Vish
The fact that nothing broke is a good sign that you haven't caused serious damage. If you are really worried, then at 500-800 miles (earlier than recommended for most normal break-in periods) have all oils changed (engine, transmission, transfer case, and both front and rear differential) at a Toyota dealership. Actually you could skip the transmission change, but for sake of completeness, do that one too. Explain to the service manager why and request they look for any signs of damage to drive train parts. This should give you peace of mind, if nothing else. This is my opinion, for what it is worth, and others may recommend differently - comments?

Kansas Law Dog said:
This is my opinion, for what it is worth, and others may recommend differently - comments?
Good advice and definitely the way to go, IMO.
Sure would be nice if this gentleman checked back with the forum at around 120,000 to show us just how these things hold up when you buy 'em used/abused.
Good luck and I'm guessing that you'll be fine/better the less you think about it.

RoverGGM said:
You still have VSC, ABS, EBD, function in 4HI on the automatic, you still have VSC, etc in 4HI the MT until you lock the center diff. Just leave your center diff unlocked

I'm not sure why you would believe you don't. :)
Rover, I know I don't have VSC in 4H Auto trans cause I read it in the manual. And when I put it in 4H the VSC idiot light comes on. Your right about manual trans.

I couldn't find anything specifically addressing this, so I started a new thread.
I have the FJC AT 4x4 and noticed that when I shift into 4x4 4H, the VSC OFF indicator comes on. This didn't concern me as much as a "binding" sensation, like my FJ didn't want to keep moving forward, when making a turn on pavement in 4x4 4H, almost as if the rear diff was locked. I've verified that the diff lock is in the off position. I called my Toyota service department and they told me that the VSC OFF light and the binding sensation are normal and that I should never drive the FJ in 4x4 on pavement unless in very slippery conditions such as ice or snow. They told me it was good that I called the first time I noticed this since I could have caused some serious damage. I couldn't get any more explanation from the dealer and thought I'd see if someone here could help me understand what is going on.:confused:
Thanks!
Hello, I'm new on the forum and I have some questions regarding this point here.

I recently bought a used 2007 FJ and today was the first time I was going to use the 4H on ice and snow and almost had an accident due to the fact that even though the 4H was on, the VSC was off and I did know about all that system until today. I want to be able to have on my VSC and use my 4H normally so I can safely drive on the icy streets of Calgary, Canada.

Please help.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.