Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Depends what year FJ you have ... '07-'09 models with single VVTi engines have one oil control valve and one filter per cylinder head.

The '10+ models with dual VVTi engines have two valves and two filters per head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for diagram helps a bunch.getting the p0112 code.
Depends what year FJ you have ... '07-'09 models with single VVTi engines have one oil control valve and one filter per cylinder head.

The '10+ models with dual VVTi engines have two valves and two filters per head.

mine is a 07 must have had a engine swap sometime it has two vvt oil controls.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
As clearly stated, the earlier SINGLE VVTi engines had TWO oil control valves, one per head.

if your oil filter is on top of the engine, you have a SINGLE VVTi engine.

if your oil filter is at the very bottom/ front of the engine, just above the skid plate, you have a dual VVTi engine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used to get a P0012 code and cleaning the oil control valve and screen as well as running Sea Foam through the oil with an oil change to follow, eliminated the code. My FJ was ran on non-synthetic oil and/or wasn't changed frequently enough in the first 150k miles of its former life. I recently pulled the timing chain tensioner cover and determined that my main chain was stretched/elongated (tensioner maxed out plus "rings" on the tensioner) and I decided since my timing cover was leaking that I would go ahead and fix that and install a new timing set. I should also note that I saw a decent amount of sludge coating all over everything. I ran another half bottle of sea foam through my oil for about 2 weeks (it had been 2 years since my P0012 issues) and then pulled the cover and replaced all the chains and sprockets (except for the VVT-i sprockets) and sealed it all up. The cam sprockets were all retarded by about 1/2 tooth with the crank at tdc and when comparing the oil and new chains, the old chain was about half a link longer. I'm surprised I wasn't getting any timing related codes from that. Also, there was a decent amount of sludge in the timing chain area even after running the sea foam the second time. The oil that I drained out was really black (oil only had about 2k miles on it).

I think the point I'm trying to get at here as it relates to the OP is that you likely have sludge in your engine and need to take steps to get it cleaned out. I'd start by running half a bottle of Sea Foam through your engine for a few weeks followed by an oil change with a quality synthetic oil and also pull and clean your oil control valves and make sure they are functioning properly. Also pull and clean the screens mentioned above. You need to pull the alternator to clean the screen on bank 2 if I'm not mistaken. Also pull the little inspection cover on your timing chain cover and check how far pushed out your timing chain tensioner is to determine if your chain is stretch at all. It is very difficult to see so you will either need a mirror or stick you phone down there and snap a picture. If you're feeling ambitious, you can also pull at least your bank 1 valve cover (or head cover depending on what you refer to it as) and check your timing marks to see how they all line up at TDC. I'd also suggest dropping your lower oil pan and cleaning it out as well as cleaning the oil pickup after running the Sea Foam. It isn't a difficult job to do. Even after 3 years and 65k miles of running synthetic oil during my ownership plus the Sea Foam, there were lots of "coffee grounds" and sludge hanging out in the bottom of my oil pan as well as in the oil pick-up screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again ggoing to take a look at the filters to see how dirty they are.
I used to get a P0012 code and cleaning the oil control valve and screen as well as running Sea Foam through the oil with an oil change to follow, eliminated the code. My FJ was ran on non-synthetic oil and/or wasn't changed frequently enough in the first 150k miles of its former life. I recently pulled the timing chain tensioner cover and determined that my main chain was stretched/elongated (tensioner maxed out plus "rings" on the tensioner) and I decided since my timing cover was leaking that I would go ahead and fix that and install a new timing set. I should also note that I saw a decent amount of sludge coating all over everything. I ran another half bottle of sea foam through my oil for about 2 weeks (it had been 2 years since my P0012 issues) and then pulled the cover and replaced all the chains and sprockets (except for the VVT-i sprockets) and sealed it all up. The cam sprockets were all retarded by about 1/2 tooth with the crank at tdc and when comparing the oil and new chains, the old chain was about half a link longer. I'm surprised I wasn't getting any timing related codes from that. Also, there was a decent amount of sludge in the timing chain area even after running the sea foam the second time. The oil that I drained out was really black (oil only had about 2k miles on it).

I think the point I'm trying to get at here as it relates to the OP is that you likely have sludge in your engine and need to take steps to get it cleaned out. I'd start by running half a bottle of Sea Foam through your engine for a few weeks followed by an oil change with a quality synthetic oil and also pull and clean your oil control valves and make sure they are functioning properly. Also pull and clean the screens mentioned above. You need to pull the alternator to clean the screen on bank 2 if I'm not mistaken. Also pull the little inspection cover on your timing chain cover and check how far pushed out your timing chain tensioner is to determine if your chain is stretch at all. It is very difficult to see so you will either need a mirror or stick you phone down there and snap a picture. If you're feeling ambitious, you can also pull at least your bank 1 valve cover (or head cover depending on what you refer to it as) and check your timing marks to see how they all line up at TDC. I'd also suggest dropping your lower oil pan and cleaning it out as well as cleaning the oil pickup after running the Sea Foam. It isn't a difficult job to do. Even after 3 years and 65k miles of running synthetic oil during my ownership plus the Sea Foam, there were lots of "coffee grounds" and sludge hanging out in the bottom of my oil pan as well as in the oil pick-up screen.
thanks put in sea foam going to run it 500 milesthen change.switched to symthetic last oil change.vehicle does have182.000 miles plan on looking at chain tensioner.thanks again to everyone iam thinking new chain unfortunately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts