Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Admin
8,506 Posts
I'm not sure about the ones you posted and really don't have time to look ;)

I use the Motorola T5000 talkabouts..... and like them. Very clear and decent range for road trip convoy purposes.

I've used about a half dozen varieties so can speak with some confidence that they are a decent quality.

You get what you pay for in the end.

Good luck.

:cheers:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a set of Midland GXT1050VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio in Camo. Real nice set, decent sound good range, good battery life. Other than the fact that they have a decent antenna (which give better range) but they also have NOAA/All Hazard Weather Channels with Alert and Weather Scan. A nice feature if you're out and about in the mountains. They also come with a NiMH rechargeable battery cartridge and can be swapped out for AA batteries. Also have a desktop charger.

Amazon.com: Midland GXT1050VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) (Camo): Electronics

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Costco carries a Motorola set now and then. Not sure of the model number ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a $20 GC for Amazon during that livingsocial.com deal and plus I have a Prime account.

·
Admin
8,506 Posts
Definitely make sure they do NOT have NiCAD batteries.

Get at least NiMH or the best ones - Lithium! (that'd be pricey)

The battery packs in mine (NiCAD) are garbage. I just use normal batteries and they last pretty long. I use them quite heavily too.

Again, you get what you pay for.

:cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have recently purchased walkie talkies and I would recommend weatherproof or waterproof units. Not necessarily, for using them in the rain/snow, but for the occassion when they are set down and inevitably meet a liquid source.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I carry a set of FRS radios and they work great, really hope that some day they will replace CB's the range is father and no skip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts