Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put some cutters on my 16" Tundra steelies. I need a tire that will last. Anyone have some mileage reports on a 255 sized tire on an FJ? Thinking about the KM2's but am open to others. Please list your lift and noise experiences too..

Thanks,

D

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
How many miles are you looking to get out of a set of tires? Mud terrains typically don't last near as long as all terrains or street tires.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Looking to put some cutters on my 16" Tundra steelies. I need a tire that will last. Anyone have some mileage reports on a 255 sized tire on an FJ? Thinking about the KM2's but am open to others. Please list your lift and noise experiences too..

Thanks,

D
Heck I'd sell you mine used cause I cant kill them!!! :lol: (just kiddin on the sale part) They have over 30,000 miles on them and are only down to 9/32" on one and the rest are 10/32" from 18/32"s new and thats all highway at 65 to 75 with 200- 300 mile runs (lots of heat cycling). These are great, well built tires that when aired down didnt slip at all on the rocks when I took them to Hidden Valley Offroad park. Did chunk when they hit the body mount but that can be avoided.

They will cut your fuel economy down a little (2-3 mpg depending on how you drive)and will make cruise control a PTA since the engine will always want to downshift. The 255's are taller than the 285's so they do give smidge more clearance but are not as wide and do not require a BMC or a lift to work just fine. Also I tried to air them up (to make them last longer) since they are E rated tires but it made the drive very scary at speed. So I found that if I kept them at 40 psi they worked perfectly

They do get louder with age and wear so keep that in mind if you do long runs on the highway. I run mine as daily drivers and the 35"s on it now will be for when I can go wheelin again. Not sure when that will be.

Hope that helps

:cheers:

·
Registered
952 Posts
How many miles are you looking to get out of a set of tires? Mud terrains typically don't last near as long as all terrains or street tires.
ATs will outlast MTs all day long.
Unfortunately there does not appear to be any ATs in that configuration (255/85/16)
Having used both over the years...I seem to gravitate back to the ATs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts