Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I found something interesting today. Toyota TechStream software has region settings in the Settings menu, and before tonight I thought they influence the model auto-discovery settings and units.

Well, it's not true. This setting also affects the parameters shown and while setting it to Europe or North America (or Other) gives you basically the same parameter list, setting it to Japan makes TechStream read and show you the mileage in km as stored in the ECM.

Mine was different from the odo by about a 100k miles.:eek:

I'll check this later on another FJ, which was owned by the same person since new. However, I tend to believe that my odometer was corrected.

I'm a second owner and have been driving this truck for 8 years so a bit too late to complain.

But if those of you who use the TS try and check, you might find something interesting there too.馃榾

Premium Member
are you sure that you converted the km to miles correctly?

I can't think of a single legitimate reason why the odometer wouldn't display the actual miles the vehicle has travelled, and wasn't aware that there was even a way that someone could change it (even unscrupulously), since it is digital and stored on the ECU.

Premium Member
Yes I am also a little confused about your claim. If the ECU records all data, wouldn't it also record any resets?? 100,000 miles is a huge discrepancy .
I feel like if there was a way to alter the FJs computer there would be lots of 07s and 08s with 4500 miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. I checked and double checked this today and... Looks like I was wrong. My guess is that all JDM manufacturers are required to store the mileage in the ECM in some accessible way, so Toyota has this feature for JDM vehicles, but as there are no such requirements for other markets, this PID on non-JDM ECMs shows something else or whatever.

This is pure speculation, but I'm certain my mileage couldn't drop from 453k km yesterday night to 362k km this morning. Here's how it looks in the software:

Pretty legit, huh?

Now about the general idea of odo correction.

Changing the number on the digital odometer is just a matter of modifying a certain register in the dashboard control module, so technically it's pretty simple and cheap, all you have to do is gain physical access to the chip.

We don't have any carfax or a similar centralized system around here, so in general most buyers have no means to find whether the odometer reading is true. Thus, it is very common for used vehicles to have 100-150k km off their mileage.

I know that GM ECMs (and VAG too) have the motor hours counters that can not be modified by external software, but can be viewed with dealer diagnostic software, so I just wonder why won't Toyota have this function. Or rather why won't it be accessible from TechStream.

In any case, I'll try to use newer TechStream versions, maybe this topic is not over yet.

Registered
are you sure that you converted the km to miles correctly?

I can't think of a single legitimate reason why the odometer wouldn't display the actual miles the vehicle has travelled, and wasn't aware that there was even a way that someone could change it (even unscrupulously), since it is digital and stored on the ECU.
The odometer data is actually stored in the instrument cluster.
If you buy a complete replacement instrument cluster from a Toyota dealer, the dealer will program it with the 鈥渃orrect鈥 odometer reading.
If you buy a 鈥渦sed鈥 instrument cluster from a wrecked FJ, the odometer will show the mileage from the donor vehicle.

Registered
It's not too far fetched that someone could change Odometer readings. Changing clusters more likely. 285k miles to 225k miles difference is a huge gap in the software report. Those numbers are not outrageous and believable if you drive long distances. Mine is about 175k miles now, same year as yours which is about 14.5k/year. The 225k miles you last reported was about 18.7K per year, plausible in my opinion. If you suspect something when you took over the vehicle, calculate your yearly amount. That will give you a better estimate who's wrong or right.

Premium Member
back when odometers were mechanical, it was super easy to change (and a felony), I had expected that the electronic ones were designed to be un-tamperable (other than swapping out the whole cluster), but perhaps I was wrong

Premium Member
back when odometers were mechanical, it was super easy to change (and a felony), I had expected that the electronic ones were designed to be un-tamperable (other than swapping out the whole cluster), but perhaps I was wrong
Hacking the code to change fuel trims and transmission shift points is the big thing to get more HP.
No matter who writes the security it seems someone figures it out.

I have another vehicle from GM that was supposedly unhackable from 2017 on a new engine and ECU. Guess what, they now have a tune to get another 100 HP in 2019.

It shouldn鈥檛 surprise us that someone hacked the mileage algorithms security.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
All there is to say about Toyota odometer "correction".

Registered
I hate to hijack a tread BUT I have tried to get TechStream to work on my 2013 a couple of times with no success. I have followed a couple of "cookbook" type tutorials without success. Does anyone know of an Idiot Proof method that has actually worked on a 2013?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts