Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there all! Excited to be here and learning about how everyone in the FJ world does things. I haven't gotten my rig yet, i am currently in research mode and leaning heavily towards the Cruiser for about a dozen reasons. But id love some feedback on why you all chose the FJ vs other vehicles, what do you use it for, and how much do you love it? I've heard it can be pricier than most vehicles to mod, but thats the only downside I've heard so far. I am on a tighter budget at the moment so that definitely concerns me a bit. I've come across several for sale that already had a few modifications, so maybe starting there might be good for me. Would love any and all feedback... Looking forward to connecting and learning! Thanks so much for having me here :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome!

Lots of great info here from a worldwide community.

I wish I'd found my way here before I purchased, but all's well that ends well, right? :bigthumb:

Dan

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,432 Posts
Welcome. Love your user name :rocker:

To answer your questions I love the FJ because it is individual in a world where cars all look the same. On top of that I get Toyota build quality and reliability which is second to none by miles.

As for being more expensive to Mod not sure how you worked that out. You don’t have to mod it, it’s more than capable stock, though if you hang around here you will catch the mod bug. The cost can be as little or as much as you want to spend. There are options for every mod from cheap to expensive. In my experience the parts vary little in price for different vehicles, a Fox shock for a Jeep is the same price as for the FJ but a Pro-Comp is cheaper...etc etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. I am so so happy to hear that. It came up in a Facebook group i joined here locally, but it was a friend of his vs from the horses mouth. Thank you so much for the response!

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
I haven't gotten my rig yet, i am currently in research mode and leaning heavily towards the Cruiser for about a dozen reasons. But id love some feedback on why you all chose the FJ vs other vehicles, what do you use it for, and how much do you love it? I've heard it can be pricier than most vehicles to mod, but thats the only downside I've heard so far.
First let me suggest the buyer's guide to help you find your vehicle, I'm also available to help (free of charge) evaluate potential vehicles or even find you a specific vehicle.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/introductions-new-arrivals/663274-jimmy-buffetts-complete-guide-buying-selling-fj-cruiser.html

I moved to Colorado in 2011 for offroading, and my two main requirements were reliability and capability. The FJ is very capable, it can't take huge wheels / tires as easily as a Jeep but you don't need those for most of what we do. But more importantly, the FJ is reliable.

I've been in a Jeep far from civilization when it broke down. It isn't fun. FJ's are still machines, they do break, just less often.

Overall, my advice is to buy the best FJ you can afford. FJ resale is awesome, if you ever have to sell it you'll lose less money with this vehicle than pretty much any other you've ever owned. But if you never have to sell it, that's when you'll appreciate "the best FJ you can afford".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome! as others have said I love my FJ because it is different. Since day one of their launch it has been my favorite vehicle on the road. There's not another car I'd rather be driving than my FJ (other than a newer FJ with less miles)

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I bought my FJ for many reasons. I'd owned a Toyota before and have always been impressed with it's reliability and longevity. I knew it wasn't a fluke, and wanted to buy a Toyota again. I wanted something 4WD for driving to the snow or getting to out-of-the-way camping places. I wanted something with cargo room and room for 4 passengers without feeling claustrophobic. I wanted something that looked unique. The FJ checked all these boxes.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hello, explorasaurus rex, welcome from Ohio!

Another vote for looks and reliability. I was also looking for a SUV on the smaller end of the scale but still had good towing capacity - that's pretty much the FJ.

My sister had a Wrangler, but sold it at the end of the warranty because it was always in for repair, including the AT at 4y10m on 5yrs warranty. Dealership would only warranty the transmission work through to 5ys (2 more months)!
So no jeep for me, even though I had a Cherokee that I loved. Wrangler's towing isn't as good as the FJ either.
I considered the 4Runner; it's a fine vehicle, but every time I saw an FJ Cruiser I! Was! Excited!
It was pretty easy choice for me - good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I wanted something to take back-country exploring. Jeeps are extremely common here in Idaho. Everywhere I look I see another one. Every one I sat in or drove just felt too clunky. My buddy has a 20-year-old stock Taco. It's a busted up pile of parts. That Taco will go anywhere. It's unstoppable. So I checked out an FJ. I fell in love. It was different and it was awesome.

7 years now and I still drive it every day and explore on the weekends. Adding mods to make it my own just makes me love it more. My budget is pretty tight. This forum is invaluable to research so that when I do save money I can buy exactly the right thing. I have never wished I bought anything else--except maybe a brand new one when they were bargaining them out in 2014!

You are correct that they cost more to mod than some other vehicles. On the other side, a stock FJ is still an amazing vehicle.

Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
16,570 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,940 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

I highly recommend reading the thread @jimmy-buffett built before purchasing, a damn fine guide in my opinion.

You’ll never find a more unique and capable vehicle than the FJ, the looks are Iconic and it’s almost unstoppable in stock form for even the inexperienced off-roader.

Btw that a good looking hound you’ve got there, there’s a thread for that here as well! Please keep us informed on your search and don’t be afraid to ask questions, plenty of friendly folks in here with positive feedback. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First let me suggest the buyer's guide to help you find your vehicle, I'm also available to help (free of charge) evaluate potential vehicles or even find you a specific vehicle.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/introductions-new-arrivals/663274-jimmy-buffetts-complete-guide-buying-selling-fj-cruiser.html

I moved to Colorado in 2011 for offroading, and my two main requirements were reliability and capability. The FJ is very capable, it can't take huge wheels / tires as easily as a Jeep but you don't need those for most of what we do. But more importantly, the FJ is reliable.

I've been in a Jeep far from civilization when it broke down. It isn't fun. FJ's are still machines, they do break, just less often.

Overall, my advice is to buy the best FJ you can afford. FJ resale is awesome, if you ever have to sell it you'll lose less money with this vehicle than pretty much any other you've ever owned. But if you never have to sell it, that's when you'll appreciate "the best FJ you can afford".

I had actually just finished reading that when you suggested it! It answered so many questions, so thank you for making the post!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@CRFjockey- You're right down the road from me! So excited to see other Idahoans in the FJ. That is exactly the purpose I would be using it for, and it is sounding more and more like a perfect fit. I've heard that even stock its pretty badass. I test drove one a few days ago and fell in love. It is significantly bigger than my VW Rabbit, so it'll take some adjusting, but I am definitely ready to switch it up. Are you part of any of the off roading communities here in Boise?

·
Registered
881 Posts
@CRFjockey- You're right down the road from me! So excited to see other Idahoans in the FJ. That is exactly the purpose I would be using it for, and it is sounding more and more like a perfect fit. I've heard that even stock its pretty badass. I test drove one a few days ago and fell in love. It is significantly bigger than my VW Rabbit, so it'll take some adjusting, but I am definitely ready to switch it up. Are you part of any of the off roading communities here in Boise?
I've not joined any of the local groups. Everything I've seen was 100% jeep focused. I did go to Florence Dunes with the group last month. That was super-fun.

My FJ is nowhere near as elaborate as the builds that some others on the forum have done. As I said, I'm more of an explorer than a rock crawler. But if you'd like to meet up and take a look, at one that's been modded, I'd be happy to work that out. I love my FJ and I'm an evangelist for the breed.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You will find so much information here! As for your questions:

I purchased my FJ because it was a unique vehicle. I was trying to decide between Army Green or Sandstorm, and chose Sandstorm. This vehicle is incredibly capable! I've taken it rock crawling, on sand, in the forest, up mountains...all on the stock suspension. Mods can get expensive, but that should not prohibit you from doing them. There are so many different things you can do to your FJ that it will be unique on its own. That's the beauty of it!

I move every couple of years for work, but my FJ has been "stationed" in Arizona, Hawaii and Virginia at the moment. It has been perfectly capable in each of those environments on the stock suspension!

And...they don't make it anymore, so that makes this vehicle even more special!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've not joined any of the local groups. Everything I've seen was 100% jeep focused. I did go to Florence Dunes with the group last month. That was super-fun.

My FJ is nowhere near as elaborate as the builds that some others on the forum have done. As I said, I'm more of an explorer than a rock crawler. But if you'd like to meet up and take a look, at one that's been modded, I'd be happy to work that out. I love my FJ and I'm an evangelist for the breed.

I found a 4x4 club but that's about it. There really are a ridiculous amount of Jeeps here, its one of the reasons I have no desire to go that route. I am a fan of uncommon. :grin I'd love to find a group that actually do back country camping/exploring, over just crawling, too once i do have my rig. I would love to see what you've done to yours- do you have a rooftop tent? What mods have you done?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I found a 4x4 club but that's about it. There really are a ridiculous amount of Jeeps here, its one of the reasons I have no desire to go that route. I am a fan of uncommon. :grin I'd love to find a group that actually do back country camping/exploring, over just crawling, too once i do have my rig. I would love to see what you've done to yours- do you have a rooftop tent? What mods have you done?
Can't get my wife to camp. So no tent. I've done suspension, some armor, and a couple of other things. You can see most of the list in my signature line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can't get my wife to camp. So no tent. I've done suspension, some armor, and a couple of other things. You can see most of the list in my signature line.

I realized that was all in your signature line right after I hit send. Still figuring out this whole forum thing. haha. Have you completed most of your own mods or do you have a shop do them?

Its a shame the wife won't camp, but i understand. It took me years to really enjoy it for what it is, versus a bunch of dirt and bugs and pooping in a hole. haha. That is one of my main goals for my FJ- so i can just go whenever I want instead of having to backpack or primitive campground camp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts