Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I so want to love the new FJ Cruiser...

I've owned FJ40's, FJ60's, first generation Bronco's, LR Defenders and Disco's... and have loved the blocky, butch styling of them all. I've owned an SUV of one kind or another since 1974, way before they where even called SUV's.

I want *so* much to love this new FJCruiser, and the spec's look great. All the right hardware, decent engine, locking diff's, etc. BUT I HATE THE LOOK! To me, it has that oh-so-popular jelly bean look to it, and is more PTCruiser than FJ60!

I know this will rile the faithful that have been waiting forever for this new dream machine. Maybe I'll like it better in person (though I had the same reaction when I saw the prototype at the auto show a few years back), or maybe it will grow on me. I'm just sad I can't (or don't want to) relive my youth with a true-to-original (at least in the styling department) FJ!!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
well for those who are truly in the market for an offroad vehicle and want to spend thousands you can always just pick up a fully restored fj XX of your dreams for probably less than what this thing will cost. im looking at this rig because of toyota, fj tradition, capabilities, specs as you say and most importantly reliability. not that the originals were unreliable but i just dont have the time to spend in the garage with a shitload of upkeep on the rig. i need something that's new and ready to go. i personally dig the styling. you might prefer the blockiness of the H3? and as another just said - it'll look right when it's all muddy and filthy inside and out!! to each their own.....i think the old ones were quirky and sorta dorky lookin too

·
Registered
647 Posts
pfb, I hear ya, man. I sooooo want to love this vehicle, and part of me does, probably for the reasons mentioned above, but the styling just doesn't add to the love. There's too much of that Hummer stance, kinda like a bulldog stance, that I don't like.... but Hell, it's still a rare, true 4x4 for the right price, and like an ugly child, I'm sure you'll grow to love it, once its abilities shine through!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
pfb said:
Man, I so want to love the new FJ Cruiser... or maybe it will grow on me.
\\

Kind of like first drinking scotch

Note to the kids: Please dont drink and drive

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I liked the concept better and the more I look at it, I do like it an awful lot. I like that it looks, well... UGLY as all hell.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
i agree with air on this one. i like the fact that it looks like a punchy bulldog ready to kick some ass. it's outta the box ready for the dirt and mud. gotta love that. of course i may change course after i see it in LA. i just hope that when we (the fj and myself) meet up in LA that im not premature......OH! :eek:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
air said:
thank you! finally, some love
careful now - dont get all premature all over me!!

seriously, ive given it some thought. i dont want my buddies quippin with comments like ive heard mini cooper on roids etc etc. im not buying one of these until i can drive it and feel it. ill be seeing it at the LA show. but it's just like a woman (or a man to be fair), you never know whats really under the hood until you've taken it for a ride. in other words the styling of the vehicle is not going to disuade me if it performs like a motherf**ker. i like the way it looks in the pictures, but ill reserve final comment on styling until mid jan. i can tell you this much, my 5 year old friggin loves this car. he's almost more obnoxious about looking at the pictures than i am - daddy can i see the fj again? and now that the video is out he likes to watch it about 3-4 times a day. i think he's lining up his car for high school or something.

·
Registered
181 Posts
caliFJ said:
.....i think the old ones were quirky and sorta dorky lookin too

My wife used to call my fj40 "the mail truck"

Even with the old ones the only time I thought it looked "cool" was with the top off and riding on 3 inches of lift and 33" tires.

·
Registered
228 Posts
caliFJ said:
i can tell you this much, my 5 year old friggin loves this car. he's almost more obnoxious about looking at the pictures than i am - daddy can i see the fj again? and now that the video is out he likes to watch it about 3-4 times a day. i think he's lining up his car for high school or something.
I expect to see it in late Jan. or Feb. at the Houston Auto Show as long as there is not an opportunity to see it here in Texas somewhere else first. I'm definately going to have to sit in it and potentially drive it before I can actually purchase it.

As for your son...that's cool and all that he loves the FJ, but could you get him to stop posting all of this nonsense.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
salivating.....

im struggling with the rumored price. i really only wanted to spend 25-8k. however, i do plan on keeping this thing for a LONG time as i do with all my cars - drive it to death. i just dig the way it looks and dig what it can do.

does look cool with that configuration,...although im skipping the brush guard unless someone can give me a definative reason to add the couple grand on for that thing.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Skip the brush guard man, you know as well as I do that you won't be truly happy until you have $2K worth of ARB steel on the front end. The brush guard is just going to give you a sense of security that will not actually be there until you replace the plastic front bumper with something manly - aka STEEL. Besides, why pay $2K for a brushguard when you can have the ARB for about $1200! Granted that's assuming it hits around the price of the Tacoma version already available.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Does the arb act as both a "real" bumper and have the brush guard? I skipped the brush guard thing but want to make sure the ARB will have it.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The ARB has the brush guard welded to the Bumper. It's one gigantic steel piece of manhood! It looks freakin' SWEET, too. How can you go wrong? The ARB front end screams, "Go ahead punk, cut me off..." Getting the brush guard will just give you a false sense of that feeling... then your front "crumple zone" bumper will fold like a beer can when you need it and the toyota brush guard will become a part of your radiator.

Look at the pic from SEMA of the blue one with the ARB front end. You can see the weld on the passenger side where the brush guard meets the bumper. Now that, my friends, kicks ass. :cool:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Percy said:
It's one gigantic steel piece of manhood!
PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I must admit, the big ARB and oversize rim-lock wheels do a lot to "fix" the cartoonish nature of the FJC.

As for ARB's, they are great. Have had one on my Land Rover for the 12 years I've owned it, and it has definitely done it's job protecting the front end.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts