Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a good GPS unit that tracks my route. What GPS unit will work good for off roading on some remote trails? I'm not familiar with any of the new GPS units. Went on the Garmin website but there is just so many to choose!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you want to see the trails on the GPS or just mark way points or routes?
Yes I would like to see trails on the gps. Some trails that I want to go on are hard to follow and I would like to see the trails and follow the trails using the gps if it's possible.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a GPSMAP 76Cx which I use both in the vehicle and in the bush. Here is a link to it: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=350

Unfortunately, this model is discontinued but a number of models in this price range have the same capabilities. They produce the GPSMAP 78S. Take a look at it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63602
Thanks for the link.

GPSMAP 78S seems more for boaters and marine users. Not sure if this gps is more developed and concentrated for marine type navigation?

Anymore suggestions or comments on the 78S?

·
Registered
655 Posts
You have 2 types of GPS: Vector or Raster base...

Vector base GPS, like Garmin, will know about streets, distances, speeds and such... They can draw route between points and calculate ETAs.

Raster base GPS, like tangoGPS, OziExplorer & Overland Navigator, are base on showing your position on a calibrated image map, like google maps, satellite images or the scan of a paper map... But it won't be able to draw a route for you since it's doesn't know the features of the map... It's like a good old paper map, but with a really precise position.

I have both in my truck: A garmin to drive around town and a Dell mini-1012 with tangoGPS and googles' maps & satellite images when I'm in the woods, since Garmin doesn't know where I am...

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
You can still use the Garmin off-road, if you load off-road maps, such as US Topo. The 76S, for example, will allow you to have multiple map sets loaded. Check out the other Garmins for backpacking that will allow you to load the City map sets. You'll be sacrificing screen size, as the Nuvis offer larger screens than other Garmins.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks for the link.

GPSMAP 78S seems more for boaters and marine users. Not sure if this gps is more developed and concentrated for marine type navigation?

Anymore suggestions or comments on the 78S?
It can be used for both marine or bush. You have the ability to put in different SD Cards which contain maps of your choice. With mine, GPSMAP 76CSx, I can put in SD Cards of lakes, the bush or highways. It is the same with the GPSMAP 78S.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I tried using my Motorola Droid with the EveryTrail App last weekend. It didn't work too bad. I still go old school with a paper map, compass and old Garmin GPS-12 most of the time though.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
- Garmin is a good bet.
- Higher resolutions are a huge plus (don't let screen sizes fool you).
- Loadable maps or at least built in topo.
- The new high sensitivity antennas are great (about last 3yrs).
Everything else is picking one that fits your uses and price tag.
I'm playing with the 3790 now and really like the voice command feature!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the recommendations.

I should of been more clear of what I am looking for. I am newb to GPS's so I know just the basics about them, if that..

What I would like is say I want to navigate through a remote location like the Mojave Road. Can a map be downloaded and can I look at the GPS real time and see where I am going on the GPS screen. Zoom in and out Sometimes I like to see where I am at on the GPS and follow it. Is this even possible for dirt and desert roads that are unmarked and remote?? I also would like to data log my route and upload other peoples data logged routes.

Then I would like to sometimes use the GPS for regular street city use.

Please let me know which gps would be able to do this plus more!

·
Registered
108 Posts
What I would like is say I want to navigate through a remote location like the Mojave Road. Can a map be downloaded and can I look at the GPS real time and see where I am going on the GPS screen. Zoom in and out Sometimes I like to see where I am at on the GPS and follow it. Is this even possible for dirt and desert roads that are unmarked and remote?? I also would like to data log my route and upload other peoples data logged routes.
I have a Garmin Oregon 300 that can do this. Weather or not the road is on the map depends on which map package you get. Garmin's maps do pretty well with trails and such, and there are more custom ones at GPSFileDepot - Custom Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr

If it is an unmarked trail you will need to find a map package that has it, or someone else who has traveled it before. It will also auto-navigate city streets with that map package. It will NOT speak to you, only beep.

I like the unit. Touchscreen, bright backlight, expandable storage, lots of useful features. Make your own cheap auto mount using the bike handlebar mount and 2 zip-ties to the grab handle.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
My Colorado 400t did trails and such by default out of the box. Detailed City/Street navigation was with the additional software. It worked great! You could send your tracks/routes to another GPS wirelessly. The Colorado was not a touch screen and as such it had better display clarity over the Oregon of the same timeframe (not positive with today's new models).

You ask what ones ... I suggest buying my used Colorado of course or get an Oregon for touch screen! Either way, get the one where the model ends with a "t" for built in Topo (such as 550t, 450t, 400t). The GPSMAP62st is a super great GPS also, but is a larger size.

The handhelds mostly run in portrate mode and my personal opinion is that I like driving back country roads in landscape mode/orientation. I've not looked to see if the new Oregon does this? I know the Nuvi's and zumo's do landscape... and can be purchased with larger displays but those get iffy with other features you ask for.

If the normal 100k Topo maps are not good enough for you then the "t" on the model doesn't matter as you'll need to step up a bit to the 24k maps and I don't think those are built into any units yet. The 100k details are really perfectly fine for most trails around me unless they are new.

Personally my ultimate GPS choice right now is the Nuvi 3790! It has all the city navigation maps for NA built in so pick up some of the new 24K DVD's or MicroSD cards for the TOPO areas needed. The voice command controls are excellent IMO! But alas... you say you need tracks and ability to share those with other GPS's ... and I don't know yet if it will do those functions.

My suggestion for a 1st GPS is get a good one right off the start!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thanks guys for the recommendations.

I should of been more clear of what I am looking for. I am newb to GPS's so I know just the basics about them, if that..

Then I would like to sometimes use the GPS for regular street city use.

Please let me know which gps would be able to do this plus more!
I suspect that you would be better off with a netbook (Acer Aspire One) + gps puck (Globalsat BU-353) + topo maps of your choice enabled with Mapsource/Nroute from Garmin - which is what I use for offroading.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Question...

Why does anyone buy a separate GPS unit at all anymore? The new android phones perform all the GPS features of the higher end gps units and more.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I think a phone GPS option has become a viable option for some today ... getting better all the time! But need better proof that my uses would be a good fit. The Garmin phone is the best I've seen in regards to off grid or out of tower signal areas where satellite performance is the only locator option. It's always good to have multiple options! But I would not recomend any phone based GPS that I know of to the OP.

I've not experienced a map overlay software package on a phone GPS in the back country that was accurate yet. What topo overlay maps do you like best on it? How well does it recalculate routes without cell signal? How accurate is it? Such as map details to your real positioning? How well does the receiver work in deep canyons or forest canopies? Sometimes 50 feet or so can be the deciding factor for what fork to take.

I like electronic gadgets of all sorts and very interested in experiance based pro's & conn's!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Take a look at the Garmin Nuvi 500. It is one of the few crossover GPS that does both Highway and Topo navigation. Comes with 100k Topo installed, you can download 24K topo for more detail (NOTE - it will cost you to buy the 24K regional maps; s/w investment can quickly exceed the h/w investment). Screen size of 3.5" seems a little small in comparison to the other Nuvis with 4.3" or 5" screens. I've had the Nuvi 500 for abbout a week now and think it will be well suited for trail use. By way of comparison, I also have the Nuvi 1450, Nuvi 1390, Oregon 400T and some older Garmin handhelds. The Nuvi 500 isn't for everyone, but it looks like it will fill a niche that is under represented in the vehicle based topo/hwy crossover hybrid GPS.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Question...

Why does anyone buy a separate GPS unit at all anymore? The new android phones perform all the GPS features of the higher end gps units and more.

Thanks
Smart phones, iPad, and the lot, make for great backup GPS system when you go off road. But I would not rely on them as my primary source...

I always have a second, something a third, GPS with me when I go off-road. You never know when these things will just decide to stop working...

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts