Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
6,896 Posts
They will fit but they will rub on a few plastic bits unless you lift a minimum of 2". Just did this on another forum member's FJ. Same wheel specs, same tire. He will trim plastic if it rubs anymore off road but for street driving, it's fine. His is an '11 with 40k miles with factory Tokeco shocks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"They" meaning 17x9 -12 offset with 265 tire? Just so I can continue thinking maybe I might know how this works.

·
トヨタ Master
6,896 Posts
285s

·
Registered
65 Posts
(y) I believe she was trying to keep her new 265s, so I think a 9" wheel might be too much. That's the same reason I went with 8.5". Not that what I do matters, just trying to help a lady make her husband happy. Wonder if she has a sister thats as thoughtful as her:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
I would suggest Selling the 265 and Wheels . and getting 285s and the wheels you want . Put some 5100 up front and maybe a body mount chop and you will be much happier . 265 really are pretty small

·
Registered
2010TT 6MT, Grunt 2nd tray-VMax 85Ah AGM-2000W Samlex, RCI skids, Stoptech Cryo Slot Rotors-Trd pads
16 Posts
As a female, with a 2010 FJ Trail Teams 6-spd Manual that has had more journeys off road around this country than most people, I would open an FJ fund at the bank, give him a cool card with a pic of your idea and the bank account fund. Just my two cents. 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, 265s would be a stretch. 'Cept in east LA. :LOL:
Two things:

1. stock backspacing is 4.84". 5.46" backspacing that this wheel has will push the tire/rim combo about 5/8" inwards from the stock wheel and I am nearly certain will contact/rub the upper control arm (if I remember correctly there is about 3/8" spacing between between the OEM upper control arm (UCA) and the inner tire bulge).
2. 8" rim width is pushing it with a 265 width tire. 8.5" is too much.

My guidance is 4.1-4.8" backspacing; 7.0-7.5" width for a 265 width tire. If you are upgrading in size to a 285 width tire you can go to an 8-8.5" with wheel.

For example these would work:

And a lot of the Stealth Custom Series

And, of course Toyota offers a lot of good looking TRD wheels that would work

Here's the problem, you cant make a proper wheel decision in a vacuum and you must take into account, wheels, tires and suspension lift (and maybe axle gearing) at the same time. These are all interdependent.
Just found d this set-up online

Just

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Just found d this set-up online

Just
You'll note that this Tacoma is having to run a 2.5" lift (Rancho Suspension - which is typically crap stuff). Still dont like the look of a 265 tire stretched onto a 9" wheel. And, while there are some similarities in suspension parts/wheels etc between the Tacoma and FJ, you cant assume that if they fit with the lifted Tacoma that they will fit with a non-lifted FJ.

I am going to re-emphasize again that you cant make a wheel decision in a vacuum (or independently) and you have to factor in the following:
  • Wheel Size (backspacing/width/diameter all affect the look you are trying to achieve as well as functionality. Cost is typically $125-$300 per wheel x 5 wheels)
  • Desired Tire Size (New AT tires in larger size will typically cost $225-$250 each x 5 tires)
  • Suspension Lift (Can cost anywhere from $900 to $5K)
  • Possible regearing in front/rear differentials depending on size of tire/wheel chosen (approx $1000-$1500 per axle)
  • Body Mount Chop ($150-300 maybe be required)
Your choice for wheel size drives decisions/impacts on the other things mentioned. While it is super thoughtful to want to buy him wheels, your decison on what you buy may trigger a waterfall of decisions that lead to THOUSANDS more dollars of spending to "get it right". Hence the urging by people to involve your husband in that decision or a great suggestion by @HeliA to start a wheel/tire/suspension/mod fund.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Once the wheel/tire/lift/BMC/UCA/gearing conundrum is resolved, for next year's birthday you might consider some type of replacement for the "grill guard" now mounted on front.

Those are known for pivoting rearward in even a minor impact, and have been known to wipe out the grill, hood, and both front fenders in an impact incident that would have only damaged the front bumper cover in a "stock" setup.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts