Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just picked up and Iceburg 2011 FJ. Over all, I'm pleased. I have a couple issues: 1) The folding arm rest just isn't big enough. Has anyone come up with a modifcation that would sit between the front seats and provide bigger area to rest your arm? Perhaps something that sits on the stock console?
2) The next issue relates to blind spot behind the pillars. I've already installed convex mirrors but am looking for other options. Over the holidays, I rented a new Escalade while on a trip. Cadilac has developed a sensor (I'm assuming it is sonar) that lights up a yellow warning light on your side view mirrors anytime there is something near the blind spot. Has anyone played around with such a warning system or have something else? I've towed trailers most of my life and am comfortable with the convex mirrors. However, traffic in the NY metro area is flat nuts. Also, I could perceive the yellow warning light on the Escade without looking at the mirror (and taking my eyes momentarily off the road).
3) Roof rack noise is driving me nuts and interferes with good tunes. Does anyone have experience with bolt-on air dams, particularly with integrated lights?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the new FJ and welcome to the forum!

Tuffy Security box offers a larger area to rest your arm, a durable 16 gauge steel insert and adds lockable storage and convenience to the unsecure factory console. I love mine!

Tuffy FJ CRUISER SECURITY CONSOLE INSERT TUFFY-144

Here is a link to the air dam for the factory rack.

Air Dam FJ CRUISER with Off Road Lights PT278-35071

Check our site for alternative roof racks and feel free to PM if you have any questions. :bigthumb:
How does the console attach? Are there pictures of it open and what it looks like inside?

Can you quantify the amount noise that the air dam will reduce? Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The tuffy console fits too far back to provide any more comfortable arm rest. It's awesome secure storage though, I love mine.

I too feel the armrest is too skinny to be comfortable. If you find a thicker aftermarket version, let me know.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
How does the console attach? Are there pictures of it open and what it looks like inside?
You remove the two bolts currently holding down the rear section of the center console. New bolts go through the Tuffy and thread where the previous bolts were removed. Although not necessary, it comes with addtional hardware if you want more security.

It is about 10 1/2" deep, main section 8" long and 6" wide. Small section for garage remote, sunglasses, etc...that is approx 2 1/2 x 3" deep. Cover is approx 10" x 6 1/2".

Small tray outside the Tuffy that holds additional stuff. (Under armrest)

Not the best pics, but per your request...

Empty:

With Glock/holster and still plenty of room:

PM if you have additional questions. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
16,933 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new rig.

·
Registered
173 Posts
hey there. i install after market sat nav systems and reverse cam to toyotas here in australia. i have just ordered one of the first fj cruisers in aus. i have been trying to think of a solution for the blind spot as my wife will be driving it most of the time. the australian fj comes standard with the reverse cam and rear view mirror monitor. i think this screen is too small for the reverse cam so i will be installing one of our units so i will have a 7'' screen for reverse and i am thinking of installing a small cam in the bottom of the pass side mirror that will turn on with the left turn signal (we drive on the left side of the road) and show on the factory mirror screen. i wont get my fj for another 3-4 months because of the tsunami so it will be a while before i can try it. if anyone gives it a go please let me know if it works well.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
:wave: Welcome

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Enjoy the new ride.
One thing on those convext mirrors is that they take up a lot of space. There are other things to try first. Put your head next to the drivers side window and adjust the mirror so you see the side of the FJ. Next put you head in the center of the vehicle and adjust the right side mirror to see the side of the FJ. Now that should take care of the blind spots.
It takes a bit of time to get used to but it should take care of the issue.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The tuffy console fits too far back to provide any more comfortable arm rest. It's awesome secure storage though, I love mine.

I too feel the armrest is too skinny to be comfortable. If you find a thicker aftermarket version, let me know.

Had my FJ for 15 days. The arm rest sucks. Way too skinny/small.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts