Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Warn M8000 this weekend on my ARB bumber. Everything went smoothly as far as install. I got it all zipped back up and the winch will not real. When I push the "out" button, the motor runs, it spools out fine. When I push the "in" button, it spools in for a second, then stops, and actually lets out a little more than it took in.

I'm not quite sure what to do. After several attempts it did real on its own as it should, but I could only get it that one time. If I click the button and keep clicking it "in" it will real.

Any one had an issue like this? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.:cheers:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had a similar problem after installing mine, it would winch in but if I let the trigger go it stopped working after waiting and fiddling with the connector it would work again. This has happened every time I use the remote you just have to sit and wait then it magically works again. I have not had the opportunity to try a different remote but did install an arm/disarm switch with the in and out toggle inside the truck and have never had an issues since. Except if I use the remote.

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DoWork - It is def. engaged properly

1911 - I was thinking it could be power as well. All the connections are good on the winch, and the battery. My conclusion was - A. new battery or B. new alternator.

Fjadventure - I will take the remote apart tonight and see if that is the issue.

Thanks for help everyone. I'm going wheeling with the local FJ guys next weekend, and it'd be nice if I could get this thing working properly.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Speaking from personal experience I would check 3 things first.

1. You solenoid connections. Check your wiring.

2. Be sure it is completely engaged. I chipped a tooth because it was not engaged and it cost me $250 to fix.

3. The remote wiring cable had a pin that was loose and not making contact. I had to fix it.

Other than those things, I have got nothing.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
1911 - I was thinking it could be power as well. All the connections are good on the winch, and the battery. My conclusion was - A. new battery or B. new alternator.
Double-check the cables to the winch and their connection to the battery first.

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Double-check the cables to the winch and their connection to the battery first.
Will do sir. Do you by chance know the output of the alternator, and or if there is a high output option?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Will do sir. Do you by chance know the output of the alternator, and or if there is a high output option?
Near as I can find out, the stock alternator puts out 100 amps maximum. I don't know of any Toyota options for the FJC; you might possibly get an aftermarket one from Mean Green or Northwest Power Products.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Speaking from personal experience I would check 3 things first.

1. You solenoid connections. Check your wiring.

2. Be sure it is completely engaged. I chipped a tooth because it was not engaged and it cost me $250 to fix.

3. The remote wiring cable had a pin that was loose and not making contact. I had to fix it.

Other than those things, I have got nothing.
My bet is #3.

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a similar problem after installing mine, it would winch in but if I let the trigger go it stopped working after waiting and fiddling with the connector it would work again. This has happened every time I use the remote you just have to sit and wait then it magically works again. I have not had the opportunity to try a different remote but did install an arm/disarm switch with the in and out toggle inside the truck and have never had an issues since. Except if I use the remote.
Could you take some pictures of how you wired this from the power box?

·
Registered
272 Posts
no way its a matter of power from the alternator or the Battery unless you are doing this with a load on it. If this is occurring with no load then it is definitely not the issue. If the motor continues to run but it wont pull in then you have a mechanical issue with the planetary gear system. rotate the lever a few times. If the motor stops then its an electrical problem.

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I GOT IT WORKING!!!!!! The remote plug in on the control box was the issue. I would like to thank everyone for their help resolving this issue. Now I guess I need to go get stuck...

nick:cheers:

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good deal; thanks for posting the resolution so we can all learn.
No problem. In your other post you mentioned mean green for an alternator. If you look on their website they do not show one for the FJ, however, I contacted them and they do offer one. Its MG13985 if anyone is in the market.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
In your other post you mentioned mean green for an alternator. If you look on their website they do not show one for the FJ, however, I contacted them and they do offer one. Its MG13985 if anyone is in the market.
I have one of their alternators in my FJ40 and it works great, I'm really happy with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts