Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't yet tested my transfer case on the 08' FJ I just bought a few weeks ago so I pulled off on a dirt road yesterday put my truck in neutral and engaged 4 HI and everything was smooth as butter. I stopped again and shifted into 4 LO again no problems. Stopped again and put the truck back in neutral on the trans and as I started shifting out of 4 LO it sounded like it was grinding as if the transmission was engaged so I paniced and put the truck in park. As I did this the A/T P warning light came on indicating a problem with park on my transmission according to the manual. When I shifted back to neutral the light went away and I was able to take the truck out of 4 low without any scary grinding noises. Why did the truck grind when I was shifting out of 4 low? should I have left it in gear? The reason I went to neutral is because my last 4wd was a M/T so I always did that. I assumed if you were stuck and wanted to shift to 4L you would be at a stop anyhow so I didn't think I needed to leave the truck in gear. Also why did that warning light come on? Can you not put the truck in park when 4wd is engaged? Should have read the manual first...

·
Registered
104 Posts
IIRC the AT/P light informs you that the transfer case is in neutral therefore switching the transmission into park won't actually lock up the rear tires like it usually would.

Keeps you from putting the truck in park and forgetting that the transfer case is in neutral and exiting the vehicle- only to have it start rolling down the hill...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil light came on. Stopped and checked oil level. (oil is clean and is in between servicing with a 1000 miles left before its to be changed)
noticed that the light would stay off while in idle mode but came on while under stress. I drove it straight to the dealer that i have had it serviced from day one. Question..oil pump failure? Or sending unit problem?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Question..oil pump failure? Or sending unit problem?
Oil pump failure is highly unlikely, but anything is possible I guess. The gerotor-type oil pumps Toyota has been using for a long time are stone reliable and good for hundreds or thousands of miles. I would suspect the sending unit first, but you're wise not to drive it until it's figured out. Pretty easy to take the sending unit off and hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge in its place.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
you also need to wait a moment when you put the vehicle in neutral before you shift so the gears slow down, and it's easier to engage/disengage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts