Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy all -

Just in time for the holidays, I'm getting a nice christmas tree of warning lights on the dash. This started a week or so after getting new brakes on the front, so I'm wondering if there's a connection. It was intermittent at first - and would turn off with a cycle of the ignition. Now the same light cluster pops on after a few minutes of driving and stays on, although it will go away for a while with cycling the key.

Seems like I've got a short in a wire or sensor problem -- any tips on where I should start looking?

EDIT - also have replaced the batt and alternator in the past year, so i wouldn't expect any power/voltage issues. Also no gas cap issues.

IMG_20171211_181240919.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Possibly a damaged wheel speed sensor? My guess, because I believe all of those things depend on that info.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
x2 OBDII data read is required

Could be anything from a brake light switch with dirty contacts (5 minute, $0.00 cost repair), to a worn sensor or component in the exhaust or fuel system, and so on.

Only way to find out will be with the codes from an OBDII read (any auto parts store can do it for you, and any good mechanic if you don't have one of your own).

Then, with the code in hand, do a search here on it to find out what to do. There are some codes which indicate "bad catalytic converter" (a $500~multi $1000 replacement) which is really only a $35 sensor. People on this website have diagnosed it all and reading through those old threads can save you a bundle of time and $.

N

·
Admin
7,125 Posts
I agree with wheel speed sensors and/or the wires connecting them.

Whoever did the brakes may have inadvertently stretched a wire or knocked a wheel speed sensor. The wires are extremely thin and fragile... if it's stretched and broken you can feel it through the rubber coating.

The wheel speed sensors you can remove and clean and throw a bit of dielectric grease on them. I would recommend doing this regardless anyway.

Good luck.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
You need to get a code reader with anti-lock brake diagnostic capability. Those lights are all related to that system since there is no check engine light on too. Some Advance Auto, Auto Zone etc... parts stores will be able to read ABS codes for you. I agree with others that you're going to find a damaged speed sensor wire or sensor itself. Get the codes and report back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same thing happen twice now; these lights came on while driving and would stay on until I shut the car off. When I turned the car back on the lights. were off. Had my mechanic take a look and he asked if I had changed my brake lights recently, which I had... I just swapped the standard tail brake and turn lights for LEDs. He said they have seen this happen where changing ourt the lights for LEDs messes with the sensors since the are on the same circuit and it will send an error to the nearest sensor. He told me to put the standard light back since I still have them and see if it solves the problem. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
3 Posts
have the codes C1223, C1251, C1252 and C1256 on my 4runner 2003 V8 sport edition. Lost brakes yesterday with same alarm sound, lights on dash.
Dealer says they reset and driving fine now. I cannot see how, if everyone else had to do a huge cylinder replacement. Also, they say we have a rodent in the engine (signs of) so want to check electrical for $357. Thoughts? The car is old, so trying to figure out best next steps.

·
Admin
7,125 Posts
Definitely a rodent issue then.
Half chewed wires.... Wires arcing between each other or against something.

I would lay money on that at this point. Lol.

Sounds like an intermittent thing though so a bit of electrical tape on the chewed sections may be all it needs.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
"Lost brakes yesterday " - no brakes, as in, unable to stop the vehicle?! Hopefully you meant, "lost brake lights", which makes sense if the brake light switch is old, dirty contacts. I had a recurring issue with that in my FJ. First removed, disassembled and cleaned their contacts and that worked for several months then it came back and replaced the whole switch (cost less than $20 and took less than 5 minutes to do) to permanently solve it.

"we have a rodent in the engine (signs of) so want to check electrical for $357. Thoughts?" - a rodent can ruin a car in short time, by eating the wiring insulation, leading to shorts and costly, mysterious electrical issues that are hard to track down and solve, and by pissing in the insulation. Both can make an automobile unusable in short order. Not sure how they came up with that number of $357, but if it includes a system check of each of the electrical systems (would take a fair amount of time to go through all of them), plus a visual inspection of each of the wire harnesses for evidence of rodent damage, it might be money well spent.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Also, it is highly recommended to do something drastic to get rid of the rodents.

Mothballs, or dryer softener sheets, can help to repel rodents (they think it smells like predator urine). Or, rodent bait in the engine room and around the storage area to kill them (if it is possible to keep kids and pets away from it while it does its work).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 08 FJ with 4WD. Been running smooth for years until 2 weeks ago when the same 4 warning lights came on (Check Engine, ABS, and the two VSC lights).
Been to the shop twice, had hard resets done, but the lights come back on after a day or so.

Then I read on one of the other threads pertaining to this same problem, that someone corrected the problem by simply putting a can of SEAFOAM into the gas tank and driving around.

Funny thing is, I use SEAFOAM regularly in my bike during riding season, and during storage, I use it as a fuel stabilizer. I use it on the FJ every 4 - 5 months, using about a third of the can, but this time around, it's most likely been longer than that.

Having just got an oil change, using full synthetic, I dumped a full can of SEAFOAM into a full tank of gas, let it sit overnight, then took a spin. After driving for about 15 minutes, and making two stops where the engine was turned off, all 4 dash lights have gone off, and haven't returned.

This is an inexpensive fix, and cleans your engine at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update to my post above - three days later the lights start to come on and off intermittenly. Seems sometimes it when I get gas (and make sure I screw the cap on till 1 click).

Took her to the dealership, they find both knock sensors are bad, along with the harness. Getting them replaced, it's expensive, should be done by Monday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After leaving my '08 MT parked for 4 rainy days outside at altitude (over 11k), I drove it for a while and saw the same 4 lights as in the OP (ABS, Traction Control, VSC OFF, VSC TRAC) as well as the Parking Brake engaged indicator.

First thought I got marmoted but I didn't see any signs of chewed wires on a quick inspection (not that I know where to look specifically but the harness feeding into the dash from the engine looked ok), and don't they prefer coolant/brakes/fuel lines anyway?

It did not seem to impact driving systems (for example, my parking brake isn't actually engaged despite the light saying it is; didn't try to force ABS). Over the course of a 5-hour drive the lights came and went a few times. In the 3 days since, they remained off on short drives around town but finally reappeared today on both of 2 short drives.

My brake lights seem to work fine when these dash lights are on. I will probably clean the brake lamp switch anyway. I haven't noticed any change in my gas cap.

Before I start heeding all of the other great suggestions on here I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem with their MT since the symptoms are at least slightly different?

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
if your brake lights are not working intermittently, that will cause those warning lights to come on the dash, and in my experience cleaning the brake switch contacts was only a temporary solution, replacing the switch solved it for me (and the new switch is not expensive at all)

Norm

·
Registered
3 Posts
RESOLVED:

1. Cleaned the brake lamp switch, problem persisted
2. Took it to my shop for codes: These included faults in brake lamp switch and ABS systems/sensors
3. Replaced the brake lamp switch ($11 shipped, 2 min swap), problem persisted
4. Took it back to my shop for codes: Brake lamp switch fault was gone, rear driver ABS Speed Sensor fault remained and got no data from that sensor
5. Went to inspect rear driver ABS speed sensor and noticed a wire bundle was chewed open, traced the rear driver sensor wire to a connector/harness near the rear crossmember on the passenger side, and from there into the chewed bundle
6. Took it back to my shop for the fix: $0, 10 min solder job

Lesson learned: if problems start after being parked in the mountains for a few days, it's varmints.

Looking over the rear axle at the fixed wire bundle. Was chewed open just to the right of the fastener (now gone).
IMG_5367.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
C47396B0-763D-4BF9-B8E5-7A9AFE49E5E1.png Same problem: After parking for some time flasher on(15min). My Fj didn’t start battery was dead, helped it from another battery with a cable, car started, but with the 4 lights on and a beep sound with NO brakes. After checking it with a scanner (picture above) was told I should change all the ABS head system near the engine, what do you suggest, Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all FJ Crusier owners!

I bought a used 2007 FJ cruiser about a month ago with 115k miles on it. Immediately after purchasing it all of the warning lights came on: check engine: ABS/traction light. So I the next day was able to get into my mechanic. My mechanic replaced rear breaks and rotors, air filter, wheel speed sensor and a left front axle shaft. Even with all of that the ABS light is still on I have an appointment with Toyota soon BUT I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thank you!

·
Registered
232 Posts
If your mechanic released it to you with the same issue you brought it in for, take it back to him and have him fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Elweber9,
This is a common problem w/ dirty MAF;
Try cleaning the MAF sensor: located on the plastic air intake (left side of engine, going to airbox;
MAF unscrew 2 screws, disconnect harness, pop out MAF
Spray down liberally w/ MAF Sensor spray (Walmart, Autozone, etc., not hard to find)
Its a cascade failure:
Bad /dirty MAF signal triggers CEL;
CEL then tells system to disable & trigger ABS/traction light.
Then driver freaks out seeing ALL THESE WARNING LIGHTS!:eek:😧🤢🤑
(ask me how I know...:rolleyes:)
Several threads on forum dealing w/ this issue.
This may not fix the issue, but is good starting point also check OBD code!
(readers are very inexpensive ($30.00 range for mine), most auto parts store will scan for free;
Look up code in attached PDF (& save file...)

D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts