Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Elweber9,
This is a common problem w/ dirty MAF;
Try cleaning the MAF sensor: located on the plastic air intake (left side of engine, going to airbox;
MAF unscrew 2 screws, disconnect harness, pop out MAF
Spray down liberally w/ MAF Sensor spray (Walmart, Autozone, etc., not hard to find)
Its a cascade failure:
Bad /dirty MAF signal triggers CEL;
CEL then tells system to disable & trigger ABS/traction light.
Then driver freaks out seeing ALL THESE WARNING LIGHTS!:eek:馃槯馃あ馃
(ask me how I know...:rolleyes:)
Several threads on forum dealing w/ this issue.
This may not fix the issue, but is good starting point also check OBD code!
(readers are very inexpensive ($30.00 range for mine), most auto parts store will scan for free;
Look up code in attached PDF (& save file...)

D
Out-of-range output signal from MAF can trigger CEL.

CEL doesn't "trigger" any other type of OBD code, CEL is triggered when certain fault conditions exist.

MAF faults don't have any connection to braking system faults (Traction control, stability control, ABS, etc.).

Premium Member
Out-of-range output signal from MAF can trigger CEL.

CEL doesn't "trigger" any other type of OBD code, CEL is triggered when certain fault conditions exist.

MAF faults don't have any connection to braking system faults (Traction control, stability control, ABS, etc.).
Engine Control Unit can't calculate torque with the CEL on. W/O this it can't give engine info the ABS/VSC/TRAC controller.
This is one of several posts that I based my post on, that a dirty MAF triggers CEL (among the other gazillion triggers...) and the resulting light show...
This is a quick initial step, & it never hurts to clean your MAF.
I was merely responding in the vernacular in order to provide quick assistance in solving/troubleshooting a known condition with a known solution.
This worked for me (and others).
Cheers!
D :)

Registered
This is one of several posts that I based my post on, that a dirty MAF triggers CEL (among the other gazillion triggers...) and the resulting light show...
This is a quick initial step, & it never hurts to clean your MAF.
I was merely responding in the vernacular in order to provide quick assistance in solving/troubleshooting a known condition with a known solution.
This worked for me (and others).
Cheers!
D :)
Regardless, cleaning the MAF sensor will never correct any ABS or traction-control problems.

Premium Member
Regardless, cleaning the MAF sensor will never correct any ABS or traction-control problems.
Not suggesting it would.
I actually think we are of the same mind on this, just expressing it differently.
My approach being to troubleshoot & eliminate "easy" or known problems first.
The dash lights do not always indicate problem in that system,
merely that something upstream has caused the lights to illuminate,
a dirty MAF is one of those situations.
If cleaning the MAF causes the warning lights to turn off, then (obviously) the problem is not related to the ABS/VSC system...
Thus avoiding additional & unneeded costs and concern.
Cheers!
D

21 - 25 of 25 Posts